Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I'm going to have to bow out. I couldn't see a way to switch my response from attending to not attending.
Boooooooo!!!!

It's cool though, I'm having to play it by ear. I have been part of volunteer search and rescue (now has been absorbed as part of CERT) with training specifically with disaster, swift water, and urban search for several years now. Depending on how severe the storm surge is - once official rescue teams start running on fumes and caffeine they will start calling us in. I spent yesterday evening gearing up my flats skiff, the Suboataru, just in case. I tuned up the outboard. Swapped in a 4-blade lower diameter prop that is more durable and gives it a better hole shot to run shallower. I hooked up a second auxiliary bilge pump. I made sure my cranking battery and deep cycle batteries were fully charged. Made sure I had some good sturdy poles. Unloaded all the fishing gear, live well, etc and loaded up on life vests, bottled water, and emergency blankets. Made sure I had a full stock of white and red flares.

I'm hoping for the best. It is looking like we are dodging the brunt of a full-on eye impact, but just a few days after a new moon means the tides are higher and a storm surge could really dunk us under a lot of water. Especially since SC and NC's infrastructure are shitty with poor road, bridge, ditch & drain budgets. I will be bringing a couple cases of water and some food packs along in case we come across some folk who have literally ran for the hills after evacuating.

pCqXbko.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm planning on being in the area that weekend anyways with my daughter. We'll be coming down Friday morning and trying to run Old NC 105 from Linville Falls south and probably camp along that road if possible. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up with you folks Saturday and tag along.

The more challenging road sounds fun to me but I'd also enjoy the abandoned towns and I think my daughter would too.

I have GMRS and Ham capabilities.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I plan to go but might not make it to the rally at 10:30. What's the final destination for camp?
"35.949177, -81.756365 and turn west onto Craig Creek Road" is where Trey @Sasquatch SC said the ideal camping area is at. I think that's also where we're going to be camping Saturday night as well?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I'm planning on being in the area that weekend anyways with my daughter. We'll be coming down Friday morning and trying to run Old NC 105 from Linville Falls south and probably camp along that road if possible. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up with you folks Saturday and tag along.

The more challenging road sounds fun to me but I'd also enjoy the abandoned towns and I think my daughter would too.

I have GMRS and Ham capabilities.
Love to have ya.

I have the old standard CB & I'm on GMRS, but I still haven't completely figured that out so I'm nowhere close to Ham. Jason @BlazingArmoury runs Ham, so you may want to coordinate with him.
For GMRS: we may be able to utilize WQQZ550/Skywarn repeater on 467.550 (repeater channel 15) which would be in the heart of where we will be, but I am not sure if it is still active. The York 600 repeater on 467.600 (repeater channel 17) is active, but we will be at it's very far outside bands. I'm not sure how reliable the mygmrs.com website is.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Love to have ya.

I have the old standard CB & I'm on GMRS, but I still haven't completely figured that out so I'm nowhere close to Ham. Jason @BlazingArmoury runs Ham, so you may want to coordinate with him.
For GMRS: we may be able to utilize WQQZ550/Skywarn repeater on 467.550 (repeater channel 15) which would be in the heart of where we will be, but I am not sure if it is still active. The York 600 repeater on 467.600 (repeater channel 17) is active, but we will be at it's very far outside bands. I'm not sure how reliable the mygmrs.com website is.
I'll set that repeater up in my radio and try to monitor it. Are we using simplex 15 in the group? Any tone?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm not sure what simplex or tone means when it comes to GMRS. I just tune to whatever channel and stick to it.
Simplex means transmitting and receiving on the same frequency/ channel. Repeaters use two, one you transmit on and one you receive on.

The tone is the privacy tone. If both radios don't have the tone set the same, you won't hear the other transmit.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Simplex means transmitting and receiving on the same frequency/ channel. Repeaters use two, one you transmit on and one you receive on.

The tone is the privacy tone. If both radios don't have the tone set the same, you won't hear the other transmit.
I don't ever use the privacy tones.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I need to get a GMRS radio/licence after this trip.

I probably should have asked this before; about how far down Craig Creek Rd is the camping spot we're hoping to grab? A couple miles or is it really close to Brown Mountain Beach Rd?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I need to get a GMRS radio/licence after this trip.

I probably should have asked this before; about how far down Craig Creek Rd is the camping spot we're hoping to grab? A couple miles or is it really close to Brown Mountain Beach Rd?
It's really close. The road was gated off after maybe a mile in when I was there (like 3 weeks ago?) - talked to some locals and they said a bridge had been washed out further down the road.

Reactions: JasKolp

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
It's really close. The road was gated off after maybe a mile in when I was there (like 3 weeks ago?) - talked to some locals and they said a bridge had been washed out further down the road.
Nifty! I'll be on the road in a couple hours.