Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
What camping is in the area? I'm debating about heading up Friday night so I can spare my back from driving so much in one day.

Reactions: JButtress

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
This trip OK for stock LX470 and a trail virgin, or should I get my feet wet on another trip first? I've done lots of 2 wheel off roading but very little 4 wheel stuff. I also don't want to be "that guy" screwing up the trip for others.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have done a LOT of rambling looking for new stuff. It has been spotty without going too far out of our original target area. I did a solo excursion to scout out Wilson Creek and then Jason ( @JButtress ), Robert ( @Graham1298 ) and I put some serious miles in last weekend. We rode two tracks in Dupont State Forest (stopped at the park office and found out that camping isn't allowed anywhere in that park) and then we jumped up to Pisgah and rode Avery Creek and Yellow Gap Road. I don't know what has happened to Pisgah, but the abundance of campsites that were along those two roads are no more. There were a few roadside sites but you couldn't pull a rig into it. A lot of the sites that were there are now blocked off and have yellow "No Camping Here" signs. It was really disappointing. So we are going to roll the dice and go with the most promising route I have found which is in Wilson Creek.

We will meet-up at 10:30 AM on September 7

Meet-up location is at a family park across the street from the fire department. 5435 Adako Rd, Lenoir, NC 28645 (35.924437, -81.674686).

From there we will go about 6 miles on the pavement southwest. Then we will turn northwest and follow Wilson Creek up Brown Mountain Beach Road (35.699253, -81.715120).

Camping: fingers crossed we might be able to snag a big spot on Craig Creek Road which is right off Brown Mountain Beach Road. Craig Creek Road was gated off after a mile because of a bridge washout when I went up there scouting. There was one big spot along that section that was really nice, but I'm not holding my breath. If that is taken we will go all the way to the end of Brown Mountain Beach Road and turn west onto Route 90/Edgemont Road. A little ways down from there we can make a choice. We can split the group and half go up Pineola Road to see if we can get into one of those huge campsites up there. I have already ran it and marked some big campsites and marked them on the map. You can find that map right here! The other half can go a quarter of a mile further and go west on Roseboro Road. I haven't mapped it or ran it myself, but there should be some camping along there. The straight line distance separating the two roads is about 3 miles. CB won't extend that far because of the ridge in-between the two but it shouldn't be a problem for the GMRS. We can decide which of the two looks the best for our needs and set camp.

Once we have our campsite staked out you can do whatever rocks your boat. If some of you want a challenge and to put your rig to a serious test, Old House Gap Road is real close by (I can supply my track for that run if needed, but don't say I didn't warn you). If you want to float by the river then Wilson Creek is for you. If you want to check out some sites there are the abandoned towns of Edgemont and Mortimer nearby. If you just want to explore there are a lot of Forestry Service roads nearby that need to be explored. Or if you just want to kick back at camp, you can do that too.

Main route is mostly hard pack gravel so it shouldn't be a problem for anybody to get in there. What you do after we set camp to abuse your rig is entirely up to you!

Questions, comments, concerns?

Reactions: RickLB and JasKolp

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
Exploring the abandoned towns sounds pretty cool. My intention is to figure out this vehicle camping thing, not damage my vehicle in the process and create a lot of cigar ash. I'm a simpleton.

Reactions: RickLB and RPDjeep

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I have done a LOT of rambling looking for new stuff. It has been spotty without going too far out of our original target area. I did a solo excursion to scout out Wilson Creek and then Jason ( @JButtress ), Robert ( @Graham1298 ) and I put some serious miles in last weekend. We rode two tracks in Dupont State Forest (stopped at the park office and found out that camping isn't allowed anywhere in that park) and then we jumped up to Pisgah and rode Avery Creek and Yellow Gap Road. I don't know what has happened to Pisgah, but the abundance of campsites that were along those two roads are no more. There were a few roadside sites but you couldn't pull a rig into it. A lot of the sites that were there are now blocked off and have yellow "No Camping Here" signs. It was really disappointing. So we are going to roll the dice and go with the most promising route I have found which is in Wilson Creek.

We will meet-up at 10:30 AM on September 7

Meet-up location is at a family park across the street from the fire department. 5435 Adako Rd, Lenoir, NC 28645 (35.924437, -81.674686).

From there we will go about 6 miles on the pavement southwest. Then we will turn northwest and follow Wilson Creek up Brown Mountain Beach Road (35.699253, -81.715120).

Camping: fingers crossed we might be able to snag a big spot on Craig Creek Road which is right off Brown Mountain Beach Road. Craig Creek Road was gated off after a mile because of a bridge washout when I went up there scouting. There was one big spot along that section that was really nice, but I'm not holding my breath. If that is taken we will go all the way to the end of Brown Mountain Beach Road and turn west onto Route 90/Edgemont Road. A little ways down from there we can make a choice. We can split the group and half go up Pineola Road to see if we can get into one of those huge campsites up there. I have already ran it and marked some big campsites and marked them on the map. You can find that map right here! The other half can go a quarter of a mile further and go west on Roseboro Road. I haven't mapped it or ran it myself, but there should be some camping along there. The straight line distance separating the two roads is about 3 miles. CB won't extend that far because of the ridge in-between the two but it shouldn't be a problem for the GMRS. We can decide which of the two looks the best for our needs and set camp.

Once we have our campsite staked out you can do whatever rocks your boat. If some of you want a challenge and to put your rig to a serious test, Old House Gap Road is real close by (I can supply my track for that run if needed, but don't say I didn't warn you). If you want to float by the river then Wilson Creek is for you. If you want to check out some sites there are the abandoned towns of Edgemont and Mortimer nearby. If you just want to explore there are a lot of Forestry Service roads nearby that need to be explored. Or if you just want to kick back at camp, you can do that too.

Main route is mostly hard pack gravel so it shouldn't be a problem for anybody to get in there. What you do after we set camp to abuse your rig is entirely up to you!

Questions, comments, concerns?
Looks like a solid plan! I'll be heading up Friday afternoon (thinking about getting there around 6PM) since my back is so fragile right now and won't be able to take so much driving in one day. Anyone else looking to head up on Friday to camp out?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Looks like a solid plan! I'll be heading up Friday afternoon (thinking about getting there around 6PM) since my back is so fragile right now and won't be able to take so much driving in one day. Anyone else looking to head up on Friday to camp out?
See if you can lay claim to that spot on Craig Creek right off of Brown Mountain Beach Road.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Is that the one you have marked "Big Campsite" on Gaia?
No, I didn't map it at all on Gaia. It seemed like a waste to map a mile or two of road before you get to the gate blocking it and I don't usually map main roads like Brown Mountain Beach. Go to 35.949177, -81.756365 and turn west onto Craig Creek Road. The big site I saw was on the right side of the road opposite of the creek.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
No, I didn't map it at all on Gaia. It seemed like a waste to map a mile or two of road before you get to the gate blocking it and I don't usually map main roads like Brown Mountain Beach. Go to 35.949177, -81.756365 and turn west onto Craig Creek Road. The big site I saw was on the right side of the road opposite of the creek.
Ahh, gotcha. I'll head to that area first!

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We are!