Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I am in the need for a few straps. Tired of using generic turnbuckle straps for my roof rack.

Looking for something for my fuel and water canisters as well as bins that are easier to tighten than turnbuckles style.

What are you all using? Ive seen the "Ultimate Bungee" but not sure if it is a gimmick or functional.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I use ratcheting tie downs made by Goodyear I got from Costco very inexpensive yet I love them. They come way to long for my roof rack. But after using them for awhile I figured out what length worked for me and cut them to size.

Reactions: USStrongman

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The cheap ratchet straps from the big box stores. I have an ammo can full of them. They're cheap, available everywhere and do the job just fine.

Reactions: WrightRunner

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
That's for sure! The point is there is cheaper alternatives. Unless the Frontrunner straps are that good/convenient?
Up to the individual on what they want to spend and the associated value of their cargo. Harbor Freight makes some good straps. A large spare tire tire would be better secured with a large ratchet straps than with a smaller Frontrunner strap .

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ive been using the harbor freight ratchet straps for many years even for construction work cinching down metal and wood on my trailer. I also use the bigger straps to secure my excavator and skid steer....they work just fine and are cheap enough that i dont care when they get cut or abraided. i dont trust a bungee for anything except maybe using it to hold down a tarp over something stationary, wouldnt drive on a highway and rely on it. i havent used a cam buckle strap with the roller, i didnt have good luck with the regular cam buckles. maybe for gas cans and items like that i would go with the side squeeze buckle and make my own nylon strap

strap.png

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I just use the Harbor Freight ratchet straps. I have one set thats about 8 years old. They have been used to secure motorcycles, and even my tool box in the back of my pickups. Currently I use them about 2 times a months for securing HD truck transmissions to the jack at work. I have since bought a second and third set for the 2 cars. For the money I dont think you can do better. They also seem to hold up well over the long haul even.

Reactions: WrightRunner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Up to the individual on what they want to spend and the associated value of their cargo. Harbor Freight makes some good straps. A large spare tire tire would be better secured with a large ratchet straps than with a smaller Frontrunner strap .
Off subject. Will you be attending the off road event in Mesquite NM tomorrow ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
There is an art to tying things down securely. Guys that have military backgrounds are usually good at strapping things down, so are truck drivers. I have never been good at strapping down but now that I have a rack, my skills may improve with help from other OB members. Glad this issue is being discussed, it helps a lot.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I use ratchet straps from Tractor Supply. I haven’t lost anything yet. Not a bad price.