Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I finally got around to getting my new Warrior Renegade Cargo Rack on today. Got off work early and got it installed in a couple hours. As you all probably know, not a lot of storage space in a Wrangler.

I have a question, will an air dam really make a lot of difference for wind noise? Around town is fine. But when I got on the highway, it sounded like a pack of wolves causing a ruckus up top. So, I'm going to order the air dam. Just curious for those who have carriers on top, if it makes that big of a difference.

I think I also need more lights. So I'm going to add a couple LED's front and rear on the rack.

Reactions: SLO Rob and XPlore

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I love the sound of wolves causing a ruckus! Awesome. In my experience, if you're going to carry a good amount of gear up there, the air dam helps by deflecting the air up and over your gear...thus creating less drag, which = better handling and mileage. Short or long trips, it adds up. Also, did you adjust or beef up your suspension...very important if you're going to store lots of heavy gear up top.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I love the sound of wolves causing a ruckus! Awesome. In my experience, if you're going to carry a good amount of gear up there, the air dam helps by deflecting the air up and over your gear...thus creating less drag, which = better handling and mileage. Short or long trips, it adds up. Also, did you adjust or beef up your suspension...very important if you're going to store lots of heavy gear up top.
I had my 2" budget boost removed and had a 3" Zone lift installed last month. Had the front axle sleeved and gussetted since I'm eventually moving up to 35's. I don't plan on putting too much on top. Primarily camping equipment and maybe a kayak or paddle board. I found the air dam for $99 so I'm going to order it. My wife hasn't rode in it yet with the rack on, but she is going to hate the noise. I'm sure it's amplified since I'm running a soft top.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

When you strap the kayaks on top...use a mini bungee cord to attach the kayak straps (if they are wrap around straps) to the bottom of the rack...reason for this...as the strap runs under your rack and freeway air flows through...lol, it's like a gigantic banjo cord and will make an awful strumming noise...and loud...as it vibrates against your top. Did I word this right, or did I confuse you?

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
When you strap the kayaks on top...use a mini bungee cord to attach the kayak straps (if they are wrap around straps) to the bottom of the rack...reason for this...as the strap runs under your rack and freeway air flows through...lol, it's like a gigantic banjo cord and will make an awful strumming noise...and loud...as it vibrates against your top. Did I word this right, or did I confuse you?
Lol, I think I know what your talking about. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Twist the strap once or twice, that will stop the banjo noise.

The rack looks good and sturdy.
Thanks. It's rated to 650lbs so I hope it holds up well. I won't put near that amount of weight on it. But it's nice to know it can handle it.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I finally got around to getting my new Warrior Renegade Cargo Rack on today. Got off work early and got it installed in a couple hours. As you all probably know, not a lot of storage space in a Wrangler.

I have a question, will an air dam really make a lot of difference for wind noise? Around town is fine. But when I got on the highway, it sounded like a pack of wolves causing a ruckus up top. So, I'm going to order the air dam. Just curious for those who have carriers on top, if it makes that big of a difference.

I think I also need more lights. So I'm going to add a couple LED's front and rear on the rack.

That looks rad! Too bad 4Runners don't have capabilities like that. Nicely done, pal.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Rack looks good. The air dam helps. I have a garvin rack on mine. I bought mine used and it was already attached. Out of curiosity I removed it just seems if it actually did anything. I'm tempted to download a decibel app and see what the actual difference is.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That looks rad! Too bad 4Runners don't have capabilities like that. Nicely done, pal.
Thanks. Fortunately though, 4runners have a larger cargo carrying capacity. If i could afford it, I'd have a 4runner too. My sister has a sequoia, and it's been a very dependable vehicle for many years.

Reactions: Byron Eby

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Rack looks good. The air dam helps. I have a garvin rack on mine. I bought mine used and it was already attached. Out of curiosity I removed it just seems if it actually did anything. I'm tempted to download a decibel app and see what the actual difference is.
Would have loved a Garvin or Gobi. Unfortunately though they don't make a fastback version. The only other one that I know of is Wild Boar, which was a few hundred more.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Thanks. Fortunately though, 4runners have a larger cargo carrying capacity. If i could afford it, I'd have a 4runner too. My sister has a sequoia, and it's been a very dependable vehicle for many years.
It is definitely a toss up between cargo space and off road capabilities. I think the Jeep would take the win for now.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It is definitely a toss up between cargo space and off road capabilities. I think the Jeep would take the win for now.
Off the production line, I don't think you can beat a Jeep. But I've seen some very capable 4runners and other vehicles that would run circles around me. The older I get, the rougher the ride seems to be. I've contemplated long and hard about getting a 4runner or Pathfinder, but just can't give up my Wrangler. Almost had the wife convinced we needed to trade in the Grand Cherokee though. Maybe someday.

Reactions: Byron Eby