Cargo rack, awning and solar panel...oh my

• HTML tutorial

RCJEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Salkum, WA
Member #

Finally got the rack and awning installed. Mocking up how the solar panel will mount and flip up. I do know I will be placing the panel in the front and do not want to drill holes through the roof. Anyone have any suggestions, that would be super awesome.View attachment 5206720180324_195328.jpg20180325_184124.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road

RCJEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Salkum, WA
Member #

are you using both an inverter and a charge controller? i haven't bought mine yet so just figuring out what to do
I'm going 100 watt solar panel to 10 amp charge controller to the battery with a cigarette adapter into a Shumacher power station to charge. I bought two of the power station so I can swap them out. The versatility of the power station with built in inverter was the right choice for my needs. I do run a 800 watt max inverter in the jeep if I need it.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

right on, so you know why some people want to use a 20 or 30 amp charge controller instead of a 10 like you are?
I think just more amps to charge the battery faster, i just went with 10
If I can butt in here, my understanding is the charge controller only controls the amps coming from the panel. It does not make more amps on its own to deliver to the battery, just helps control the flow so batteries are charged in the best and most efficient way possible (instead of hooking the panels directly to the batteries). In most cases a folding panel, or 100 or 120 watt rooftop panel, will realistically only produce around 7amps optimum (meaning when aimed for maximum exposure to the sun in a clear sky), so a 10 or 15 amp PWM charge controller is enough.

IF you think you're going to have a larger array of panels, or add more panels later and a lot more amps being delivered to the charge controller, then getting a 20 or 30 amp controller will prevent having to get a larger amp controller later to handle the larger input. When you go even bigger, then an MPPT controller is worthwhile, as it tweaks more from your panels.

That's my understanding of it all, at least.

Here's a piece I wrote about folding vs mounted panels that may be helpful, in the thread: On Trail Camp Solar Power

and a piece on solar set-ups and how they're wired in the thread: Let's See Your Solar Setups for Camping

You can read more about charge controller types here: Which solar charge controller: PWM or MPPT?

Let us know what you end up doing, as the info may be helpful to others.

I don't pretend to be an end-all expert, but I love experimenting with off-grid and self-sustainable set-ups, so if there's anything I can help shed more light on, ask away. If it's beyond my experience or knowledge, I'll be the first to admit it.

Reactions: TerryD

RCJEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Salkum, WA
Member #

If I can butt in here, my understanding is the charge controller only controls the amps coming from the panel. It does not make more amps on its own to deliver to the battery, just helps control the flow so batteries are charged in the best and most efficient way possible (instead of hooking the panels directly to the batteries). In most cases a folding panel, or 100 or 120 watt rooftop panel, will realistically only produce around 7amps optimum (meaning when aimed for maximum exposure to the sun in a clear sky), so a 10 or 15 amp PWM charge controller is enough.

IF you think you're going to have a larger array of panels, or add more panels later and a lot more amps being delivered to the charge controller, then getting a 20 or 30 amp controller will prevent having to get a larger amp controller later to handle the larger input. When you go even bigger, then an MPPT controller is worthwhile, as it tweaks more from your panels.

That's my understanding of it all, at least.

Here's a piece I wrote about folding vs mounted panels that may be helpful, in the thread: On Trail Camp Solar Power

and a piece on solar set-ups and how they're wired in the thread: Let's See Your Solar Setups for Camping

You can read more about charge controller types here: Which solar charge controller: PWM or MPPT?

Let us know what you end up doing, as the info may be helpful to others.

I don't pretend to be an end-all expert, but I love experimenting with off-grid and self-sustainable set-ups, so if there's anything I can help shed more light on, ask away. If it's beyond my experience or knowledge, I'll be the first to admit it.

Nice! Thank you!

Reactions: Road