Cargo Nets

• HTML tutorial

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

This may or may not be the correct place for this thread, however, I am curious how to utilize rear cargo space in my T4R. I have witnessed ideas here and on IG that intrigued me which include: stringing expandable nets and cargo nets along the sides and roof of the cargo area. My question is, how have you, if any of you, done this?
Any ideas or resources?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Bryon,

On my Outback, I took an old trunk hold-down net from my wife's previous car and stretched it across the roof. At the front, I attached it to the little clothes hanger hooks that are on the grab handles for the back seat. In the rear, there are two LATCH mounts for child seats just inside the lift gate. I had to file the hooks down to fit the LATCH points, but it worked fine. On our cross-country trip, we used the netting to hold light jackets, dry wool clothes, hold my hats, etc. Too much and it bounces down into view in the rearview mirror, so I try to keep things along the edge.

I just looked through my prep and trip photos, and you can't see it. If you need a visual, I can take a photo tomorrow, but you probably get the idea.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@Steve That is essentially the exact idea I had in mind with the same purpose instead of crowding seats with said items. Feel free to post a picture at your convenience. Thanks a bunch for the illustration.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I use a 'cargo barrier' which some people think is just for dogs, but it is really to keep cargo from flying forward in a sudden stop or crash. I have tie downs in the back which I use also. I also have a (not pictured) Front Runner stainless steel prep table that fits perfectly on the little ledge across the back over top of my cases. The tent and other stuff can go on the table and I can still slide the cases in and out like drawers onto the tailgate.

The other little storage trick I like, which I saw someone else doing... bungy across the handles/hooks in the back to hold TP or paper towels. Keeps it up out of the way and dry, but easy to grab. I try to avoid paper because I usually just ruin it and also have to trash/pack it out, but sometimes you need it for cooking or whatever. I pack a lot of towels/microfiber also.

Advocate II

@mbwesner I was thinking of adding one of those to my WJ. One for protection from flying objects but to also store things on. I though it would work to hold some gear as well and maybe some pouches on the passenger compartment side for my girls to store stuff. What brand did you go with?

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I like to sleep in my truck as well and have this barrier which only goed just below the seat back so you can slide right under it with the seats folded flat. The gate stops right above the Plano and speaker box. Usually don't carry that camp toilet and the recovery bag and plano box can be slid right under the truck to make room for me.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

@Wildland Outdoors I have a Land Rover OE guard. It is a factory part. You can make them pretty easily, depending on how you want it mounted. The LR one actually has a couple bends in it, which I like because it gives a lot of practical storage on the front of the rack between the 2nd row headrests and the barrier. Pillows and soft things fit behind the kids heads.

I have an old picture of it here. Since then, I took the center 2nd row seat out for a place for a fridge/cooler with tie downs bolted where the seat used to mount. I also don't use the big plastic/rubber mat when I go on trips so that I can roll the cases in/out. The mat is great for dirty/day to day things. I also dont use the pull cover anymore because it gets in the way of the cases rolling in/out and I have the table on the ledge that it slides. (And yes.. all that OEM accessory crap is WAY to expensive, but its damn nice to have.)

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I like to sleep in my truck as well and have this barrier which only goed just below the seat back so you can slide right under it with the seats folded flat. The gate stops right above the Plano and speaker box. Usually don't carry that camp toilet and the recovery bag and plano box can be slid right under the truck to make room for me.
I do know some people have cut the barrier I have for that reason also. I haven't. Can't sleep a family of 4 in my rig and it is usually full of gear and carseats anyway. I leave the full cage so that with the seat out of the middle 2nd row its still protecting things and solid.