Cardinal River Road October 21 2017

• HTML tutorial

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

So I had heard from a few people that Cardinal River road had become impassible from a few different people. Well we were unable to travel all the way though from the Cadomin side but that was due to still running my summer tires and there being 2-8 inches of fresh snow on the ground . We did how ever find out that while the road has been severely washed out it is still passible although there does need to be some minor pick and shovel work for plus width full size trucks to get though with some snow on the ground. And while we had planned to make it up to the top of the grave flats look out it didn't happen due to time constraints, I did venture part way up to the look out as there is a sign posted that there is a gate up there but I didn't come across one before it started to get really vertical.

First wildlife of the day

Heard of elk a little further down the road

Big bull elk

View of the mountains

Going through the rat hole under the heavy haul road

Trucks with a mountain view

Veterans memorial at mountain park cemetery

Sign about the town of mountain park

At this point we started down the hill into the valley when we came across a pair of guys that couldn't get back up the hill, Darcy happened to have a set of chains with him which he lent to them so they could get back up the hill. At this point we also decided to turn around as Darcy had mentioned that there were some steeper spots as well as a couple tight switch backs, as you can see we made the right choice as even I need a little help to get up the hill, I figure if I had been running my duratracs it wouldn't have been an issue. This also meant we had to back track and then head down pembina river road to get to the other side of cardinal river road to check out the wash out.

Helping hand up the hill

Trying to get my fat ass through the road block

Here you can see how the slippery dusting of snow was causing me some issues again by causing the truck to slide precariously close to the edge of a small drop off. Darcy made it through without issue. I have a couple video clips that I need to shorten before imgur will let me upload them.