Capitol Reef NP Burr Trail, Glen Canyon NRA, Monument Valley Tribal Park

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

On August 11th/12th I set out on a nice little trip through Souther Utah/ Northern Arizona.

Day one
I was living on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon so the first day I made my way to Boulder Utah via 89a/89 and hwy 12. I made good time to Boulder so I continued on 12 to 24 and went into Capitol Reef National Park did the tourist thing and scenic drives and then headed back to Boulder the same way. I saw on the maps i could have made a nice loop back down but was running low on time and wanted to get to the campground and secure a spot for the night. I got into Boulder, turned on the Burr Trail road and headed down a little ways to a campground. Im almost positive the campground was called Deer Creek. It was small only a handful of sites and I got their just in time to snag the last one. Made a quick steak and egg dinner, laid out on the picnic table and watched the perseid meteor shower for a bit and then passed out in my tent.

Day two
I got up with the sun and quickly packed up my gear/ strapped everything down and started down The Burr Trail.
The first half outside of the park is paved and very smooth, witch i wasn't expecting. The scenery was beautiful as the sun was rising behind white fluffy clouds. I was surprised at every turn as the road winded through canyons and dry creeks. The easy access on paved road to these types of views already sealed the trip as a success for me and i had it all to myself. Once the trail enters Capitol Reef NP then the road changes to a rough gravel road. It was still in very good condition in my opinion. The trickiest part would be the famous Burr Trail Switchbacks. They descend quite a bit of elevation slow and steady as always. Make sure to use lower gears to save your breaks! Once down the switchbacks I continued on to the Notom Bullfrog road.

*note* I squeezed a lot into a 2 day trip but you could easily spend a week out on the Burr trail itself. It has many hiking trails, side roads and views that I didn't not get to explore. Its best to get a BLM map to and ask around to get the real scoop on whats out that secret paradise.

Once I made a right onto the Nortom Bullfrog road i headed south into Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. My plan was to take the ferry to halls crossing and continue from there. I pulled up to the ferry ramp and was about an hr early. It leaves one side on even hour and the other odd hours. Sorry but i forgot which is which. The hour came but no ferry i had no cell service and thought maybe at somepoint i got the wrong time and decided to wait another hour. No ferry. While i was waiting an NPS ranger drove down the road to the ramp slowed down and turned around without saying anything. So now i had to come up with a new plan. Since the ranger said nothing and at the time didnt have an alternate route worked out i figured id make a quick lunch gas up at the marina and check the maps. When I filled up my tank i asked about the Ferry and no one could help me. It was like i made up there ever being a ferry. A little discouraged I pulled out my trusty atlas and planned a route up 276 to 95 then right on 261 down to the Moki Dugway. The Moki Dugway is another set of gravel switchbacks that wind down about 1,200 ft in elevation like a set of intestines. When I set out on the road it was a bit nerve racking because of the two way traffic of inexperienced drivers speeding up and down the narrow roads.
The views are amazing all the way down. I would suggest pulling off at the top for pictures and stay moving once started on the road. Taking up valuable road space on an already narrow road is a danger to yourself and others. Especially on the turns where larger trucks will need to turn widely to make it.

* note* off of 95 you could easily make a side trip to Natural Bridges National Monument and just before Mokie Dugway you can go to Valley of the Gods

After Moki Dugway I drove into to Mexican Hat via a right turn on 163.
I travel 163 until the turn to Monument Valley

Monument Valley Is very touristy but worth seeing. I know there are areas to go with or without permits that are more secluded but for this trip I stuck with the main tribal park loop. Once out of Monument Valley I drove back to the grand canyon so a good night of sleep to be back at work the next day. Also once i hot back into cell phone range i found out the bullfrog/ halls crossing ferry was closed for repairs.... WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE FOR SOMEONE TO TELL ME. That NPS Ranger probably had a good laugh about that one.

What I liked most about this trip is its not a popular route to most tourists. Its goes through sections of remote desert that most people don't ever talk about. It gave me the feeling of an explorer seeing this land that no one knows about. I would definitely like to go back one day and spend more quality time out there.

Things I would do different. I would have planned alternate routes and double checked my research. Im usually good at planning ahead but without internet and all sources being word of mouth I gave it a go. That why you should always have a map!

Tips
In summer it was hot 100+
Cooler and lots of water and drinks and ice.
And salty snacks.
As always leave a trip plan with a friend before you go and pack some emergency rations and gear just incase.
Most of all don't forget to take the moments and scenery in. Ive been guilty of being too focused on making it to the destination that I forgot about the journey. Glad I learned my lesson before this trip

For only having two days, i had an amazing time and would recommend part or all of this trip to everyone. I hope you enjoyed my post. Feel free to ask any questions. Now pictures! I had my gopro on the whole trip, im going to try to put a video together too once i figure out how.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was down in Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase earlier this year. You're right, a few days is not nearly enough to see everything. I spent about 4 days just around Torrey (also a great spot for sport and sport-touring motorcycles) with my in-laws and still had more trails to explore.

Bergi85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orem, UT
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Bergesen
Member #

I'll have to head down there sometime. That is only a few hours (3) from my house. Thanks for the write up!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

It really is a fantastic area to explore. With Moab turning into a non-stop party town and the parks in that area looking at ways to limit attendance due to overcrowding, it is just a matter of time before Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase get discovered and inundated with people stomping all over the cryptobiotic soil the way they do in Island In The Sky and Arches.

Bergi85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orem, UT
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Bergesen
Member #

Yeah I have done the "touristy" routes many time taking family down there to Moab, Zions, Bryce, etc... but I have never done any trails or anything. It has always been paved roads. I will get down there soon. I just don't know if this time of the year is a good time to go down?

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Yeah I have done the "touristy" routes many time taking family down there to Moab, Zions, Bryce, etc... but I have never done any trails or anything. It has always been paved roads. I will get down there soon. I just don't know if this time of the year is a good time to go down?
I think the best time to explore that area would be september/ october.
Its a little cooler, but not to cold.( most of the time)

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Thanks for the report and pic's. I am heading to Utah in late May for Gone Moab but plan on exploring a little before the event.

This info helps me with some idea's for my route.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I am going to run this same road this June. I look forward to it.
Thanks for the report and pic's. I am heading to Utah in late May for Gone Moab but plan on exploring a little before the event.

This info helps me with some idea's for my route.
Awesome! Have a safe trip when you go!
I have a job interview today that will hopefully get me back out in that general area.
Also here is a little video i made on my trip on the Burr Trail.

Reactions: BCBrian

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

We are headed to Capitol Reef in September. Looking for good areas to stay where backcountry camping is allowed. I know we need to stay out of the park boundaries, but don't know much beyond that. Any suggestions? We don't need to stay in one of the designated camping areas. Just a good place to setup.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

@theMightyGoose Theres some good spots on the road out to Temple of the Sun/Moon for camping. Theres even a few spots right by the river just outside the east entrance to the park near E. Hartnet Rd/Hwy 24 intersection.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Planning on doing a part of this route during a 2-week SE Utah trip in October.

Hall's Ferry was down for a good bit of 1016 due to blown engine. They are back up and running now. Departs the south side on even hours, the north on odd hours.

Thanks for the write up. You could spend a lifetime in southern UT and never get it all in.