Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello my Overlanding friends,
I want to tell you about a product that might just be what you need for your Cooler needs? Coleman was first I think with Coolers to keep your food and drinks cold. Then Yeti, uped the ante, in the Cooler market. I thought it would be great to have a Yeti Cooler, but never spent the money for one. Now, more of you want 12 VDC Coolers for a good reason. But, I have an option for a weekend Overlanding or just fishing in your boat, to keep foods and drinks cold as well at a much lower price! Canyon Coolers, made in Flagstaff, AZ.

My review is of a Canyon 35 Qt.Cooler. I want to start off my review saying I try to buy USA. made products when I can without paying double the price of an overseas products. That is just my preference. This Cooler is just the right size for my use in my outdoor activities. Please take the time to look up the specific specs on the company’s website. FourWheeler Magazine did a Cooler test, and this Cooler came out on top. I think this size would work for a couple over the weekend, giving you the room you need for food and drinks all weekend long.

To test this Cooler out, I had to wait for a warm weekend, and that is what we got this Mother’s Day Weekend! The Cooler was empty and hot because my Jeep has no AC. when I went in to buy food and ice for my weekend test, Temps on Friday were high 80s. So, bag of cocktail Ice and filled the Cooler about halfway up with the Ice, food and drinks. Went up camping and because I started feeling ill, came home that night. To finish my test, I left the Cooler in my Jeep over the weekend getting things out just like I would have camping. The outside of the Cooler was hot to the touch both Saturday and Sunday, sitting in my Jeep. Temperatures in the low to mid 90s, day and 50s at night. On Sunday, I drained what water was in the cooler and it was ice cold, with everything else in the Cooler nice and cold too! About half the ice was left still in the plastic bag. This late Monday morning, I opended my Cooler to get the rest of the food out for my breakfast. Everything was cold even my Almond milk. The ice was completely melted but the water was still ice cold in the bottom of the Cooler!

I did not do some things you should do to have a longer lasting cold Cooler, like: sacrificing a bag of ice to cool the cooler down the night before, my use. I did not fill the cooler completely with food drinks and ice. I left it in the vehicle all weekend long so it was extra hot not putting it in the shade. I was in and out of the cooler getting cold drinks during the day. I did not buy a block of ice which lasts longer than cocktail ice. I did not drain the melting ice water out each day.

Overall, I really like this Cooler! For me being a single guy this would work great for a long weekend of Overlanding, camping and fishing. Try taking your 12VDC refrigerator out with you in a little Aluminum boat fishing half the day? Doing some fun fishing on that Overlanding weekend! How about that day picnic in the park to we’re you have to be a long ways from your vehicle? Please look up the Canyon Coolers on the web and check this Cooler out! I do not know of a better Cooler for your value! As you are my friends, I wanted to share this option with you to help on your Overlanding adventures! Vance.
AD72F4C3-18F9-4851-853A-268CEA7916E5.jpeg4E1662C5-8794-4B91-821D-19EF8A98D86E.jpeg271E8669-9AAC-4145-B56B-13CE3F76372B.jpegA7898EBF-D705-4C1B-8B3C-003FC85DED5C.jpeg95084EAE-A7E1-4030-997E-71677B5AE509.jpeg

Reactions: Willys_2014

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Check out Lifetime coolers. Like a Yeti, US made and bear proof certified. The 55qt goes for about $112 on Amazon.
This Cooler is not in the same class, when the Canyon Cooler is beside it! All kinds of okay but not as good as others out there. Get a chance to see one in person, and you would know the difference fast! But, get the Cooler you think is best for your money! I am just sharing what I think is best with all my friends, Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

good looking cooler, if and when my pelican 35 ever gives out i may look into one.
avgjoe,
Thanks, happy with it so far. You’re Pelican would have been my first choice before I found the Canyon Cooler. My guess, the Pelican will last a lifetime! Vance.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

This Cooler is not in the same class, when the Canyon Cooler is beside it! All kinds of okay but not as good as others out there. Get a chance to see one in person, and you would know the difference fast! But, get the Cooler you think is best for your money! I am just sharing what I think is best with all my friends, Vance.
How can you say it's not in the same class? Have you seen them side by side? There is almost a $75 dollar difference and that does not include the fact that the Lifetime is 20qt larger. I have not seen them side by side but the specs seem comparable. I am not a big fan of the latch design on the Canyon. Personally it looks "Chinsy" Amazon reviews are 31 with 4.5 stars for the Canyon and 45 with 4 stars for the Lifetime. I'll take the Lifetime and use the extra $75 or so of savings for something else. Your mileage may vary I suppose. For the record I own a Yeti Tundra 65 and a Dometic CFX50. If I were to replace the Yeti I would most certainly go with the Lifetime cooler.

Last edited:

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I have had a 35qt Canyon cooler for 2 yrs now i think. Just to give you a idea how good it works I live in southern IN I packed my cooler and drove to the bottom of NM then drove the NMBDR then up to CO and spent 4 days in the front range and back to IN. I packed the cooler and then bought 10lbs of ice 2 times and when I got home the cooler was still 1/2 full of ice I could have made the 12 day September trip on just the 1st 10lbs of ice. Wasn't cautious about opened and closed lid either. cooler location is in back of truck bed I was very surprised how well it did. So buy what you want just know this is a great cooler

Attachments

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

How can you say it's not in the same class? Have you seen them side by side? There is almost a $75 dollar difference and that does not include the fact that the Lifetime is 20qt larger. I have not seen them side by side but the specs seem comparable. I am not a big fan of the latch design on the Canyon. Personally it looks "Chinsy" Amazon reviews are 31 with 4.5 stars for the Canyon and 45 with 4 stars for the Lifetime. I'll take the Lifetime and use the extra $75 or so of savings for something else. Your mileage may vary I suppose. For the record I own a Yeti Tundra 65 and a Dometic CFX50. If I were to replace the Yeti I would most certainly go with the Lifetime cooler.
Not going to debate this with you! Have you even seen the Canyon Cooler in person? You like something else, buy it as I said. Thank you for your opinion. I expressed mine. Take it or leave it. Vance.

Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Not going to debate this with you! Have you even seen the Canyon Cooler in person? You like something else, buy it as I said. Thank you for your opinion. I expressed mine. Take it or leave it. Vance.
No need to get defensive. I haven't seen the Canyon in person and it appears you haven't seen the Lifetime in person, let's leave it at that. Am I not allowed to participate in a discussion on this subject?

Contributor III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Costello
Thanks for the review. Our warranty is a little more all encompassing and a little more lenient then the paperwork suggests. That particular cooler has approximately 25% more insulation in the body then the industry standard for super coolers . The insulation, seal, design and company are all USA, but the shell on this model is made in Thailand (which is where rotomolded coolers were invented). We do have 100% made in the USA coolers in the works, we make a 150 quart one now and are adding two more sizes this year. We have participated in and supported Overland West for the last 7+ years and it is easily our favorite show of the year. Overlander's could not be a nicer, better group of people to work with.

I run a mostly retired, unrestored early bronco (351W) , and a 2003 2500 Dodge Diesel w/ rooftop tent. The company has a 2016 4x4 Sprinter that is pretty respectable off road as well.

Stay Cool,

Jason

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I have 2 Canyon Coolers, the 35 like this one and a larger one. I mostly use the big one and get 10 days on average without needing ice. I precool the cooler and everything that goes in it, use block ice that I make in my garage freezer, and built a "cooler condom" out of reflectix and duct tape. I add a layer of reflectix between the ice/frozen foods and the simply refrigerated items above, a poor man's dual zone if you will. Quality product that came out of the experience of Grand Canyon river runners on the Colorado.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thanks for the review. Our warranty is a little more all encompassing and a little more lenient then the paperwork suggests. That particular cooler has approximately 25% more insulation in the body then the industry standard for super coolers . The insulation, seal, design and company are all USA, but the shell on this model is made in Thailand (which is where rotomolded coolers were invented). We do have 100% made in the USA coolers in the works, we make a 150 quart one now and are adding two more sizes this year. We have participated in and supported Overland West for the last 7+ years and it is easily our favorite show of the year. Overlander's could not be a nicer, better group of people to work with.

I run a mostly retired, unrestored early bronco (351W) , and a 2003 2500 Dodge Diesel w/ rooftop tent. The company has a 2016 4x4 Sprinter that is pretty respectable off road as well.

Stay Cool,

Jason
Thanks Jason,
I wanted to be there with the group with the FourWheeler Magazine 2019 Overland Adventure. It was a hard to write the email with notification that I would not be able to make the adventure. Still haven’t been able to solve my fuel problems on my Diesel Jeep Cherokee. Hope to meet you in person and wheel together! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have 2 Canyon Coolers, the 35 like this one and a larger one. I mostly use the big one and get 10 days on average without needing ice. I precool the cooler and everything that goes in it, use block ice that I make in my garage freezer, and built a "cooler condom" out of reflectix and duct tape. I add a layer of reflectix between the ice/frozen foods and the simply refrigerated items above, a poor man's dual zone if you will. Quality product that came out of the experience of Grand Canyon river runners on the Colorado.
AZ WANDERING BEAR,
I like you’re idea to separate Ice cold from cold Items in the Cooler! Thanks for sharing that! Thanks for your report on how it works for you in your travels! See you out there! Vance.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR