Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Looking at buying a canoe for family use...need to keep the price under $500, so most likely gonna be a used one.

Anyone have any suggestions on a canoe in the 15-17’ range that I should look for that would fall under that price point?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

N8roro

Rank 0

Traveler I

I bought a used dolphin fiberglass canoe on Craigslist for $400 last year. We did not use it as much as I would have liked but, its a good fit for our family. Inexpensive, stable in the water, and can be stored outside. It's not light though!

Jube

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NW Arkansas
Member #

Old Town Discovery 169 would be my choice. Durable, stable and has a high load capacity. Very similar to the Old Town Tripper which might be the best all around 17' boat ever made in my opinion. Old Town's hold their value as well.

Reactions: WrongWayRandall
S

SubeeBen

Craigslist in your area. Have always had good luck finding good stuff on there.

Reactions: Patriot

WrongWayRandall

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

We used an Old Town for many years but it eventually got to be too heavy for me to lift up on top (90lbs) and we sold and got kayaks. Still, the thing was excellent for hauling gear, travelling in comfort, and it was sturdy as anything I've ever seen. As others have said, keep an eye on Craigslist, there are regularly good canoes for the price your talking about.

RPDjeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Foran
Member #

I have a 16 ft Pelican canoe that I bought on Craigslist for $300. Came with paddles and Yakima strap down kit.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Late to the conversation. Did you find one?
When I was in Michigan I paddles a late 90's Royalex Mad River Explorer. From what I have seen they made some major changes and are not the same boat anymore. I loved it and used it for everything from small lakes around TC to sections of The Jordan and other rivers to week long expeditions on Isle Royale and Killarney Prov.
I currently have an Old Town 169 and a Fiber glass Clipper Tripper, and a Kevlar/fiberglass OC1.
In that price range Craig;s List is the way to go. If you have some fiberglass skills you might be able to find an even better deal.

CJ Aggy

Rank V

Advocate III

Pleasant Hill, CA and Wellington, NV
First Name
CJ
Last Name
Aguilar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JCV
Craigslist would be your best chance to find something in your price range.

i use a 17’ canoe to paddle out to boat-in camping spots if Im not using a kayak

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I have two of them. One 18' plastic, one 16' fiberglass. No clue who they are made by. Both paddle very well. Both bought on Craigslist for under $150.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Used Old Town Penobscot.

The craft that does it all in most water/river conditions. Then turn it around and run it solo.
I have camped out of mine with my wife and dog up to 2 weeks at a time. Ran it solo down some great classII. Solo tripped in it, etc. Lakes, Class II.....doesn't matter.