MMc Sub

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McFadden
Hey All - I'm planning the buildout of a Suburban. I'd like to get the spare tire out of the trunk and and onto a rooftop basket / platform. My trouble is...how to best carry a canoe at the same time?
Anyone been here before? Any clever ideas?

Any rack suggestions are also welcome. Arksen is a current front runner but would likely require significant reinforcement...

Last edited:

MMc Sub

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McFadden
Put the spare on the rear bumper that swings to the side and then the roof is clear for a canoe or whatever else you want to put up there.
That's the Cadillac option!
Unfortunately it'll cost half as much as the truck.
Also, with ~10% of trips involving the canoe, it sounds like a hassle to have something in the way of the barn doors.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I use an inflatable canoe for that purpose! Works great! There are some really good inflatable canooes available which are quite solid and stable and easy to carry on the roofrack!

Have this one and I am really happy with it:

Reactions: GoliathF350

Sparky511

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Chelsi
Last Name
Coulombe
Member #

I have a rooftop tent and had the same problem so I got an inflatable kayak and it works out awesome. It’s great quality! Did a couple overnights with it last summer and had plenty of room for gear, etc. Good luck!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I roll with a 16” kayak and surfboards for years, I used 3 or 4 Yakima racks mounted atop the roof two for a basket and yak with the others mounted for the yak.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Big fan of the spare on a swing out rear, a la the 2nd gen and up Broncos. Blazer s10's, Bronco II's. First 3 gens of Rav4, Wranglers and so on. I understand if you frequently access the barn doors it's a pain. It's a pain getting a 50 pound or more wheel up into and out of a basket, too, though. Looks like a lot of manufacturers dont put them on the rear anymore as if you are rear-ended, they tend to cause damage to the rear doors, tailgates and glass, more than if they weren't there.

Good luck. I'm curious what you come up with

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’m thinking unless you have help, getting the tire on and off the roof is going to be painful.

Reactions: MMc Sub

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I used to have a Chevy Avalanche. I ended putting the spare on the roof in a basket. I hated it....I immediately felt a difference with the weight up there, and I suffered i bit of MPG due to the added wind drag.
Are you wanting to remove it from under the floor in the back because of a platform or drawers that will cover up the space?
I second the swing out idea. I know there are some hitch mounted ones out there (more budget friendly than a whole bumper setup) that would allow you to remove it and store it away if the rig is a daily driver, lots of guys don't carry a spare around town, only when traveling a greater distance.

Reactions: MMc Sub

MMc Sub

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McFadden
I'm liking MidOH's solution more every day!
With everyone's words of warning, I think the most livable option will be to mount it up front. I've got my eye out for a used brush guard or bull bar. I have access to a welder and have been looking for an excuse to practice.
I think it would look bitchin but am a little afraid that it will lead to overheating issues on slower trails. Which means installing an electric fan (in addition to the OEM - hell'ya there's room for a low profile E-fan!!)

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

With everyone's words of warning, I think the most livable option will be to mount it up front. I've got my eye out for a used brush guard or bull bar. I have access to a welder and have been looking for an excuse to practice.
I think it would look bitchin but am a little afraid that it will lead to overheating issues on slower trails. Which means installing an electric fan (in addition to the OEM - hell'ya there's room for a low profile E-fan!!)
I had a front mounted spare on a truck many years ago, I was great until the mount broke, it was about 100 yards before I figured out what that big bump was.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

With everyone's words of warning, I think the most livable option will be to mount it up front.
Um...the spare tire or the canoe?

Heh heh.

I'm not as much a fan of that either but to each thier own. The extra damage to other cars and people in the event of a road crash is probably why we havent seen a stock front spare tire mount since the 1970's. I'd be surprised if it was still legal
1334704684.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I think the makers of real SUV's started putting the spares inside to keep the connecting hardware from rusting out. First, upright against a wheel well (Jeep ZJ) and then under the back cargo area (Jeep WJ). Upright against the wheelwell, you might still get it out without removing all the cargo. Not true if it's under the cargo floor like in an old Jeep Grand Cherokee, but at least that way you have more room for cargo.

Most pickups have them under the bed and forward of the rear bumper. I guess that's an ok solution but connecting hardware does rust out and the wheel and tire take a lot of abuse.

No great answer, I suppose. Everyone will want it in a different place.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I think it would look bitchin but am a little afraid that it will lead to overheating issues on slower trails.....
You could always drill a few exter holes in the rim....lol....just kidding. My,....just thinking out loud here,...My only concern would be air flow. I am going to assume that in front of the radiator, you also may have a trans cooler, and an AC condenser. If the truck stays cool while climbing grades, and off road, I would caution against corrupting a good functioning critical system/s just because you do not favor an added step to open your rear door/hatch (rear swing out).
You said you have a welder and want to learn...there is a lot of info out there on how to weld and on rear swing outs (dirtlifestyle on YT just built one).
Just my .02 cents. (Fyi, I am a welder in Nuclear Power Plants....you CAN do it!)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Isn't the Trans cooler on a modern burb about the size of a two slice toaster? Make sure to put the spare tire in front of that.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
You can look for a hitch mounted swing-out spare tire carrier. I have run my spare on a roof basket on my old rig, and it was loud as a banshee and even worse, it killed my MPG. I know you plan on throwing your canoe up there, but I imagine it would only be up there during your trips. My ride was also my daily driver, so when I had my spare up on the roof the road noise and the loss of MPG were too much for me to stand. I can only imagine throwing a spare on top of a large SUV will be the same result. It will also be a pain and possibly dangerous trying to get the spare down when you need to use it. I had a pick up so I had the luxury of standing in the bed to get to the spare and that was still hard to do. On a burban, I could see a possible back injury in your future. The best place you can keep your spare outside of where the manufacturer puts it is behind the vehicle somehow. Like I mentioned, I had a pick up truck so day to day, I kept a fix a flat and a plug kit in the cab while the spare was in my garage, and during off road trips, the spare stood up in the bed against the rear window thanks to a few cam straps taking up precious cargo room.

When I got my new truck last summer, I immediately threw bigger tires on it with a slight lift. Thankfully, the truck is an F-150 and the spare well under the bed can accomodate up to a 34" tire so I just got a matching tire for the spare and now I'm golden. A hitch mounted carrier might be a good investment. It will keep the spare off the roof, and allow for throwing your canoe up there.