Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I had some long trips planned. I might reconsider to go to places closer to home, until things cool off. No big deal, I haven't been to those places anyway so still will be very interesting and they were on the list to visit at some point anyway..

Reactions: Shahn

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I was going to drive home to Colorado from AZ (1000 miles each way) for a week to install a custom axle I have been building in Colorado, but I guess it will be cheaper to ship it and install it here.

Reactions: Shahn

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Fuel prices would need to hit USD 25.00 per US Gallon before I'd think about cancelling (and I'd postpone, not cancel). Other factors are far more critical. Our 2018 West/Central/East Asia trip was postponed for geopolitical reasons; our 2020 South Asia trip for pandemic reasons; our 2021 Canada trip for the same reason. We now plan to spend 5 months in Canada and a month in Central Europe this year - the pandemic situation looks as if both will be possible, assuming no new "wave", however geopolitics may have an impact on the Central Europe trip,

Fuel cost is insignificant compared with the other factors. We managed to spend 5 weeks in Iceland last year, when pandemic restrictions were reduced. The price of fuel in Iceland was (and remains) about USD 7.00 per US Gallon; the value of the trip was far greater than the impact of the fuel price.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Will likely affect how we travel more then where... Often we tow one of the jeeps behind our motorhome and make 'basecamp' somewhere distant for a couple of weeks, thus allowing some online work to happen at camp with day or two day explorations. at 6mpg and over $5 per gallon the Motorhome will be staying in the driveway, as will the one ton diesel. We will take one of the Jeeps and a tent solo this year, and even that will suck up gas money like crazy at 13mpg. Have two expos planned, a two week vacation and lots of three day weekends. after two years of staying near home during the virus, its time to get out and explore. Our Alaska trip will be postponed for at least another year thought it appears.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Thinking about doing a Boundary Waters canoe trip this summer. 1170 miles from us 1 way. The gas is not a deal breaker as everything else on the trip will be dirt cheap, but it doesn't make us happy. We always have the option to drive the Renegade saving us about 5-8 mpg and $150 or so. But the Tacoma is more comfy for the 4 of us + gear and will allow us to camp in the truck the couple days we will be camping. Tough call. If gas keeps rising to say the $6 range could be a deal breaker. We have too much nice stuff around us in the southern Appalachians, can do a couple shorter trips local instead.

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

I won't be canceling any plans, at least because of fuel prices. Maybe because of too much damn work though. Actually I hoping that some of the more popular places are less crowded this summer. And another benefit of living in California, it gets cheaper the farther I travel.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Thinking about doing a Boundary Waters canoe trip this summer. 1170 miles from us 1 way. The gas is not a deal breaker as everything else on the trip will be dirt cheap, but it doesn't make us happy. We always have the option to drive the Renegade saving us about 5-8 mpg and $150 or so. But the Tacoma is more comfy for the 4 of us + gear and will allow us to camp in the truck the couple days we will be camping. Tough call. If gas keeps rising to say the $6 range could be a deal breaker. We have too much nice stuff around us in the southern Appalachians, can do a couple shorter trips local instead.
I did a 250 mile trip into the Boundary Waters as a 16 year old Boy Scout. It was a life changing event. The Before Photo and After Photo are on the wall above my desk in the Study. First time to see a Bull Moose, First time I caught a Pike, Broke both my Fly-rod and Spinning Rod. Ely, Minnesota calls...
David C.

Reactions: OcoeeG

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

How many people are having to cancel trips due to ridicules gas prices? Just wondering how everyone is dealing with this unnecessary issue…
Maybe not cancel but definitely adjust; driving to avoid crowds deep enough and then sitting tight in one spot, instead of completing a loop or moving on.

Just need to make the best of it, but definitely NOT cancelling. I truly hope people find different ways and don’t cancel. Great things happen outdoors, IMO it’s always worth it.

Best of luck to everyone!

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Thinking about doing a Boundary Waters canoe trip this summer.
At the risk of going off topic, I met my wonderful bride because of a boundary waters camping trip. She didn’t go, but her brother did. I didn’t know him going into the trip. I was a last minute invite by a mutual friend to fill a spot where someone else had to back out.
We’ve been together 17 years, married for 13. Cool story for a different thread.:smiley:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
definitely not cancel, but will modify trips....

last year we did a trip out west for 2 weeks and spent around $2k in fuel. that same trip now would be well over $4k in just fuel.
a couple yrs ago we stayed at vogel state park in georgia for 10 days and pretty much got up, drove a few miles each day and spent most of the days hiking. i went thru nearly 4 tanks of gas in one day to get there, (10mpg in a tundra) but then burned less than a tank an entire week of being on location. that's probably more how we'd travel now...get to a good spot and then stay there and really take in the sights without driving all day everyday.

my wife flew to denver months back and spent $200 round trip. it costs me that much to drive from new orleans to the other side of houston. maybe flying is cheaper than driving now...

Last edited:
Reactions: MidOH

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
last year we did a trip out west for 2 weeks and spent around $2k in fuel.
USD 2000 in 2 weeks? Wow - that’s USD 143 per day.

On our trip to Iceland last year we spent USD 823 in 5 weeks - USD 29 a day on average, and we covered significantly more distance overall than our average. Fuel price in Iceland was around USD 7 per gallon.

How far are you travelling each day, on average?

my wife flew to denver months back and spent $200 round trip. it costs me that much to drive from new orleans to the other side of houston. maybe flying is cheaper than driving now...
Flying is far cheaper than driving in our case - we have just visited family who live 95 miles away in a straight line - the fastest we've ever covered the distance is 5 hours 40 minutes (the mountains are a huge barrier), the slowest was around 19 hours. The flight is 35 minutes, so it took 3 hours 10 minutes door to door. The flight cost far less than the fuel would, even taking into account that we're paying for two tickets.

On the other hand.... If I were travelling from New Orleans to Katy, I'd drive - it's about 6 hours on I10. Flying means half an hour to the airport, an hour on check-in, an hour's flight, 20 minutes to the rental desk, then an hour at least to Katy (and if it's on UA it'll be an hour late, on average, in my experience). So, 6 hours driving versus around 4 hours and the hassle of flying is massive these days.

Reactions: grubworm

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Not canceling, but my wallet is gonna scream bloody murder…
My first jaunt across the U.S. last year lasted nearly nearly 2 months and covered nearly 10,700 miles. Even towing the teardrop trailer, my fuel cost was just over $2300 USD. I’m planning a similar trip this year with a bit less mileage as I’ll stay in the CO-WY-MT corridor. I’ve calculated it will cost about $5000 USD at current prices. Ouch!
But whatcha gonna do? Stay home and let adventure pass you by? I’ll just tighten my budget in other places to lessen the hit. I can afford it, even if it galls me to pay that much for gas that was $1.99/gallon less than 18 months ago.
Also, I know this doesn’t help much while we’re in the middle of a crisis, but when things calm down, take a hard look at your financial plan. Before you add another cool gimmick to your rig, pay off the dang vehicle and any other debt as quickly as possible. Then invest, pile up cash, live within a defined budget and save the full cost of any future purchases. When the next crisis arrives, you’ll sleep better knowing you’re prepared. Call me a financial prepper or whatever, but I’ll be on the road this summer.
Peace out!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not going to stay home. I'm cutting back on my trips radius a ton, and switching to other hobbies.

More time wheeling rental horses from the local rescue. The original overlanding ride.

Added a week of ultralight backpacking to schedule.

Launch highpower rockets in Indiana instead of Nevada.

More camping and diving at our quarries, one week less in Key West.

I've banned air travel from all of my plans for at least this year. Most likely next 3 years.

Reactions: Jim SoG

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
@Alanymarce You must be talking about the Medellin to Bogota flight. I have never had a shorter up and down flight than that. Crazy how quick. Must be a nice drive as well, but never done it.
I have also done Bucaramanga to Medellin. Such a cool airport in Bucara, up on a mountain. That flight was a small plane and we flew into the old airport in Medellin.