Canada West Coast to East Coast (Actually, San Francisco to Vancouver to Quebec)

• HTML tutorial

Xplor1994

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Union City, California, USA
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Belanger
Member #

I have to leave California (Visa not renewed), so i decided to drive back to Quebec with my modified Offroad SUV!

So far this is what i have:

- Day 1 and 2 i will drive from the SF Bay Area north and cross the border at Surrey, BC.
- Day 3 i'll be in Comox, BC to visit a friend
- Day 4 and so on need to be plan. I would like to do no more than 4 hours drive/Day then camp/visit/light offroad (i'll be alone, not the time to break down)

Any suggestion is welcome, place to stop, best route, etc...I am not in a rush, one suggestion was to drive all the way up to Yukon than down to Banff, from there cross the prairies...

i have 3-4 weeks available for the trip.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

One thing to keep in mind, both BC and Alberta Provincial Campgrounds are only open to local residents, no out of province plates will be allowed in. Expect the odd cold reception, note on the windshield and there are few rabid idiots who are vandalizing out of province vehicles.

And I think you will need a 14 day quarantine plan when you enter Canada..... that might use up the first 2 weeks.

Heres the official notice

Last edited:

Xplor1994

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Union City, California, USA
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Belanger
Member #

In BC. google hot springs. but I'm not sure if any are open yet.

One thing to keep in mind, both BC and Alberta Provincial Campgrounds are only open to local residents, no out of province plates will be allowed in. Expect the odd cold reception, note on the windshield and there are few rabid idiots who are vandalizing out of province vehicles.

Good to know, i am hoping that things will have settle down in July! Not the best timing but i have no choice to leave.

OldHillwalker

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

East Dixfield, Wilton, Maine, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Cranium
Member #

Eastern Canada will not be open to US Citizens until mid July at the earliest. My summer trip to Nova Scotia - Newfoundland-Labrador is on hold and waiting. Damn it! Won't Western Canada be in the same boat?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yes, same but i'm Canadian :-)
I'm sure you know this, some Eastern Provinces have closed their borders to Canadians crossing Provincial Borders. I'm sure there is a way for you to "return home" but it might involve a 14 day quarantine. Whose plates are on your truck?

Restaurants are open today as BC has definitely flattened the curve but International travellers will likely need to self isolate until the USA achieves the same goal. The NHL playoffs will be in Vancouver but BC is still enforcing the 14 day quarantine for all international players.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I also have lost hope for our plans of exploring NB back country this year. Still hoping to get in the lower portion of the trip along Maine's coastline.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We did a East/West/East run last year. NH to Washington State into Canada (Vancouver), through Jasper and west along the border in Canada. Many places along the way to see. The Canadian Rockies are just beautiful and traveling south through them (out of Jasper) is not to be missed. The run along the border in the plains lead to a spot called Writing on Stone. Another highlight of the trip! Once across, Gaspe is well worth the run. I suggest a run up the St Lawrence on the west side to pass through Sagueney and reaches north. Cross by ferry (short nice ride) at Godbout to Matane Gaspe and turn north along the coastline. Be certain to take the occasional run off the main road towards the coast, so many little areas of interest hidden away!