Can we now just go back to just calling it “car camping”?

• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
To clarify, Wal Mart parking lots and car camping go together like soap and water. Many overlanders choose these locations for a variety of reasons.

My point in differentiating the two is that overlanding requires traveling over land, whereas car camping does not require going out of the way. I have car camped many a time along my regular commuting routes, but I really wouldn't call going to work "traveling". Driving, sure, but not traveling, and certainly not overlanding.

You can car camp anywhere that you can park, just like you can camp anywhere you can set up a tent or roll out a sleeping bag. But to say you "overlanded" in a parking lot is much like saying you "backpacked" in somebody's spare bedroom.

You overland TO Wal Mart, and car camp AT Wal Mart.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@genocache I cannot find sufficient information on the subject to answer the question, but from what I got, Itchy Boots did some thing related to videos about motorcycles.

If that involved riding motorcycles to places, that's "vehicle-reliant travel" and fits the bill, according to the forum's rules!

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

@OverlandFaction Wait, wouldn't that be "overseaing"? This game just went to a whole new level.
Maybe not so much a US issue, but in the UK we can touch the sea from any point in less than 100 miles.. And a real journey requires you to cross the sea. Well that's my opinion.. Anyway.

We have a load of wannabe (Overlander's) that have brought all the gear, strapped it to something, then leave home and drive to the next sudo wild camp down the road for a weekend, stay there and then go home again... Which is just camping with a car.

To be a real overlander you need to become captain pugwash..

1695203226353.png

Reactions: rtexpeditions

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
i have crossed the atlantic on a sub and for reference...it was almost as boring and depressing as driving thru west texas...

just sayin'...

View attachment 266531
Now you have done it, in 2024 "Underwatering" will be all the rage ... Think I am going to pre-order my new Jeep Nautilus edition with factory snorkel now before they sell out... just hope they get the leaky door issue figured out first.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Now you have done it, in 2024 "Underwatering" will be all the rage ... Think I am going to pre-order my new Jeep Nautilus edition with factory snorkel now before they sell out... just hope they get the leaky door issue figured out first.
So based on that, the journey will be extended due to the extended route on the bottom. Why lets call submarining.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Who’s the uboat commander?

IMG_2149.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: OTH Overland