Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
The short answer to this is yes… however while this unintended adventure was fun, it also made me really nervous. This was my first time driving on sand like this period and I wasn’t really prepared well for this. With good tires, (I’m running falken wild peaks) it’s possible but honestly capability wise I strongly stick by AWDs are not the same level of capability off-road as a 4wd regardless of modifications. Had this sand been any softer I’m not sure I could’ve gotten out. I’m sure I’m the first to do this with a Subaru at this location that said 4WD only after a point but I definitely wouldn’t recommend it lol.

Attachments

OverlandEasternCT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
Does your subi have a center diff lock or equivalent?
If it does, it's no different to any conventional 4wd on the sand as, usually, you drive in high range anyway.
Being lighter, it would be much better than some of the others.
Not that I’m aware of unless it’s some sort of secret lol. It has “X mode” which basically keeps it in a lower range and sends power where needed which did help me in this circumstance.

OverlandEasternCT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
I used to take my Brat out on the beach when I was a teenager in N CA.
Unfortunately come to find out summertime Rhode Island more than likely won’t issue a permit for beach driving to me for the two that are open in the summer for beach driving because it’s not a 4x4.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a ton of experience driving a modern Subaru on the beach and they’re extremely capable regardless of sand conditions. All the same attributes that make them superior to other vehicles in winter still apply but in the sand they also benefit from being much lighter. Admittedly my Outback was far from stock but I wouldn’t hesitate to drive on sand for a second. They, like their typical 4wd counterparts, are not immune to driver mistakes though. Knowing how to drive on sand is a learned skill and you should always make preparations as well as have, at a minimum, the right tools to help keep yourself/get yourself going.

Modern Subarus are only really hampered by the nannies you can’t disable 100%. They’re especially obtrusive from a stop or very slow speeds. Knowing this can help avoid putting yourself in a bad situation. Put it in x mode, hold the TC button til it’s off as much as it can be, and drive in manual mode.

B9995259-0F88-432B-B19B-A700D0DC887D.jpegDA4E1867-E8F0-4AAE-8EC1-B0A46AABC61C.jpeg

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I have a good amount of experience driving my Outback on the beach but up in the Pacific Northwest. I did it when it was stock as well as with my lift on it. When I did it, I mainly did it where the sand was not deep or super soft so that it was not likely to get stuck. I am not saying that it couldn't drive in the deep soft sand but I did not have the equipment to handle the deep, soft sand. Sometimes I would turn the traction control off in order to get on the beach.

20180721_171529.jpg20180721_171434.jpg20200725_132150.jpg20200725_132157.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

TX95ZJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
RRR
Glad to see you getting some sand on the tires! It sounds like you had a great experience and learned a little more about your vehicle and how it performs in those conditions.

Open beaches are some of my favorite playgrounds, and I've spent 20+ years exploring the Texas coast. I put together some "lessons learned & best practices" when it comes to wheeling on sand, and perhaps some of these can be helpful (some of these may be N/A for the Subarus):

• Newbies should never wheel alone, especially in remote areas!
  • When wheeling in a group, do your best to keep up with the rig in front of you, but you are responsible for keeping the rig behind you in-sight.
  • Lower tire pressure (<20psi) helps tires to “float” on top of the sand instead of digging in
  • Hard-packed sand is much easier to traverse than soft, loose sand (travel during low tide when possible)
  • If your vehicle is struggling, it’s best to keep front tires straight, momentum up, and head downhill whenever possible; use 4-LOW (if equipped) to keep RPM up in loose/boggy sand
  • As soon as your vehicle is stuck and is going DOWN, let off the throttle to keep from further digging in and making the recovery more difficult
  • Equip your vehicle with appropriate recovery gear (shovel, traction boards, etc.)
  • There’s no substitute for “driver mod”; knowledge and experience (and perhaps innate talent) equip drivers to get the most out of a particular vehicle; conversely, drivers that lack skill can often stick a very capable vehicle
  • Have fun and be safe!
20230808_082448_.jpg

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I had an old Legacy and a Forester SF, both had shown a level of capability that my wrangler doesn't.
The reality is that my locked center is more often a problem than it is needed or helpful.
If there would be a awd transfer case for my jk I would buy it.

Reactions: El-Dracho

TX95ZJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
RRR
I had an old Legacy and a Forester SF, both had shown a level of capability that my wrangler doesn't.
The reality is that my locked center is more often a problem than it is needed or helpful.
If there would be a awd transfer case for my jk I would buy it.
Are you referring to on-road capability of AWD over 4x4 such as patchy ice? I cannot imagine any off-road scenario where a Subaru would come close to approaching the capability of a 4x4 Wrangler, especially the likes of beach sand.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Are you referring to on-road capability of AWD over 4x4 such as patchy ice? I cannot imagine any off-road scenario where a Subaru would come close to approaching the capability of a 4x4 Wrangler, especially the likes of beach sand.
I know it's controversial what I said. And I'm referring to typical overlanding scenarios like a wet gravel road with lots of curves and hairpins for example.
I know that, with increased difficulty the jeep will be in advance. If you get my point it's okay, if not I will try to explain it more in depth later.

Reactions: TX95ZJ

sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
The newer subarus with x-mode basically have a center diff clutch pack in addition to the abs braking at the wheels. Seems to move the rear/front ratio around from 60/40 to 50/50.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Recently spent the night at Pismo.
There was a healthy number of subies camping out on the sand, only folks I saw getting stuck were the truck folk towing 5th wheels.

Forrest831

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Crandell
I was actually just in pismo too I’m a Subaru id stay away from the soft stuff and air down as low as you feel comfortable I go to 12 psi on a 285/70/16, 16psi is a safe bet, hope all that helps

Reactions: MazeVX

FunkyStickman

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Schriever, LA, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Hendricks
I have a ton of experience driving a modern Subaru on the beach and they’re extremely capable regardless of sand conditions. All the same attributes that make them superior to other vehicles in winter still apply but in the sand they also benefit from being much lighter. Admittedly my Outback was far from stock but I wouldn’t hesitate to drive on sand for a second. They, like their typical 4wd counterparts, are not immune to driver mistakes though. Knowing how to drive on sand is a learned skill and you should always make preparations as well as have, at a minimum, the right tools to help keep yourself/get yourself going.

Modern Subarus are only really hampered by the nannies you can’t disable 100%. They’re especially obtrusive from a stop or very slow speeds. Knowing this can help avoid putting yourself in a bad situation. Put it in x mode, hold the TC button til it’s off as much as it can be, and drive in manual mode.

View attachment 248615View attachment 248616
Just chiming in to say that's an awesome looking rig! How much of a lift is that?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I know it's controversial what I said. And I'm referring to typical overlanding scenarios like a wet gravel road with lots of curves and hairpins for example.
I know that, with increased difficulty the jeep will be in advance. If you get my point it's okay, if not I will try to explain it more in depth later.
I was just browsing and saw this. I just recently did away with AWD on my 80 series LC, by removing the viscous coupler and replacing that with a spool. Then added new birfs to easily bolt on manual hubs. The difference is amazing and I would never go back to awd, ever. If I'm on pavement or hardpack it's in good old fashioned 2wd. I'd love to figure out a way to do away with the electric button to engage or disengage 4wd and use an old fashioned mechanical lever, but, it is a 1996 model so I can't have everything. Be good; do good !!