louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ok...as a person that has used community bathrooms most of my life (navy bootcamp, navy subs, offshore oil rigs, campground bathhouses, etc) i really want to know: Can soap be dirty?
i've google searched this, reached out to procter & gamble and even hit up MENSA trying to get an answer to this. i had asked a shipmate years back and he quickly stated that soap CAN'T get "dirty" and is just inherently safe to use no matter what. i then pointed to the bar of Ivory soap left in the crew's shower and the "artifacts" left embedded in it.
"Lather up!", i said. he knitted his brow as he briefly studied the bar of used soap and then silently departed...

so now i ask YOU, good members of the overlanding society...Can soap be dirty??

Last edited:

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

A bar of soap, left wet and somewhat softer on the outer layer until completely dry can pick up anything and everything around it, scrubbed into it, dropped onto or landed upon resembling an equally unappetizing Christmas fruitcake.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
Loaded question for sure. I would concede that a bar of soap can pick up gunk; but, it would still be completely safe to use.

Soap will assist in removing dirt, which is not really an issue. It's true strength lies in breaking up fat molecules. Even if "dirty" it will wash away both bacteria and viruses because of its ability to dissolve fat. COVID can't live on soap.

Wash your hands, even if the bar looks gookey!

P.S. - a few twirls under running water until all the stray hairs are gone, I'll use it on my face after that.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So many ways to define dirty ;) Of course my mind went straight to pillow talk, hahaha.

The internets have this to say
If you’ve used a public shower, you’ve probably wondered about that bar of soap that’s conveniently sitting in the soap stand. Is it really safe to use? Fortunately, scientists have conclusive answers for this question. Way back in 1965, a study was done where it was found that even soap that was used by someone whose hands were intentionally contaminated with bacteria did not transfer those germs to the second user. These findings were confirmed in another study performed in 1988 (by a soap manufacturer). So, don’t be afraid to use that bar of soap, no matter where it has been sitting. There’s much more risk of germs from not washing your hands than by washing them – even with a less than perfectly clean bar of soap.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
So many ways to define dirty ;) Of course my mind went straight to pillow talk, hahaha.

The internets have this to say
If you’ve used a public shower, you’ve probably wondered about that bar of soap that’s conveniently sitting in the soap stand. Is it really safe to use? Fortunately, scientists have conclusive answers for this question. Way back in 1965, a study was done where it was found that even soap that was used by someone whose hands were intentionally contaminated with bacteria did not transfer those germs to the second user. These findings were confirmed in another study performed in 1988 (by a soap manufacturer). So, don’t be afraid to use that bar of soap, no matter where it has been sitting. There’s much more risk of germs from not washing your hands than by washing them – even with a less than perfectly clean bar of soap.
BOOM - GOOGLED!

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i remember back in the 80s we had "navy issue" soap. it was made in Wuhan...back then i thought Wuhan was a city in Wisconsin...

also, the movie Demolition Man came out and had the scene where you used "the three seashells" in the bathroom.

1659891519634.png

we had something similar on the navy submarines...

soap2.jpg

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I would just assume that "real" soap that's cooked and not just some sort of modern crap has some chemical characteristics that work against it so bacteria wouldn't survive on its surface and the dirt you can see is mostly not dangerous.

So I voted for no as long as it is real soap

Reactions: grubworm

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm not sure why I felt the need to read this thread, but that is 3 minutes I am not getting back. Carry on.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Oh absolutely yes.

I have seen a bar of soap dropped by The Varmints... artifacts is a good word...

But on the other hand, it is not too hard to wash the bar of soap and restore its virtues.

Now liquid soap, that could be another issue. Let mold start growing in that stuff and there is no way to redeem the soap.