Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Does anyone out there own a RTT? If you do, have you ever waterproofed it?

I have heard that when you clean the tent, it starts to break down the waterproofing of the material, and because of this you can apply some waterproofing agents to your RTT.

I have been doing research online, and I came across a couple of products. Does anyone have any experience with 303 Fabric Guard or Atsko Silicone Water-Guard? If not, have you found a good product that worked well for you?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Liesejunh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

California
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Cha
Member #

I’d stay away from cleaning it with any chemicals. Eventually the waterproofing will wear itself out due to the suns uv rat and you would have to reapply it. However cleaning it should really only involve talking off the mattress cover to laundry. The most important thing about keeping a tent clean is to keep it dry so that mold does not grow and awful Smells do not develop from the condensation. I keep a portable fan to help take out all of the condensation before I pack it up.

Reactions: terryg and Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I’d stay away from cleaning it with any chemicals. Eventually the waterproofing will wear itself out due to the suns uv rat and you would have to reapply it. However cleaning it should really only involve talking off the mattress cover to laundry. The most important thing about keeping a tent clean is to keep it dry so that mold does not grow and awful Smells do not develop from the condensation. I keep a portable fan to help take out all of the condensation before I pack it up.
Thank you so much for your time and your help. I really appreciate it.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Depends on the tent material what you use, I used Nikwax product on my Tepui when I got it, but it was used. If it is wet when you get home you need to set it up, I throw a little ceramic space heater in mine in the driveway to chase moisture out.

If you are lucky you can tilt the mattress up while still in the tent and get airflow around it. 3 chunks of 2x4 work for me.

My problem is it can days before it stops raining, so the tent can be setup for a while.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Depends on the tent material what you use, I used Nikwax product on my Tepui when I got it, but it was used. If it is wet when you get home you need to set it up, I throw a little ceramic space heater in mine in the driveway to chase moisture out.

If you are lucky you can tilt the mattress up while still in the tent and get airflow around it. 3 chunks of 2x4 work for me.

My problem is it can days before it stops raining, so the tent can be setup for a while.
All great points!

Thank you so much for your time and your help.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I have a Tepui. Inside it, on the wear points at the fly pole pocket stitching, I used MSR gear repair patches. I have not had a need to waterproof the outside, but if I do I will have no concern about spraying it with Atsko Silicone Water Guard spray. That stuff is amazing, and after it FULLY drys and airs out, there is no smell. I have used it on many tarps, tents and raingear.

Reactions: Randun and grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Technically all tents need to breathe, waterproofing them will cause condensation build up over night. And most good tents come with a fly to shed water. Single layer tents are a compromize.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Silicon must be some powerful stuff. I got some overspray from some silicon tire spray on my concrete driveway and it repeled water for YEARS! Truff, sweatergot!

Last edited:
  • Wow

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Does anyone out there own a RTT? If you do, have you ever waterproofed it?

I have heard that when you clean the tent, it starts to break down the waterproofing of the material, and because of this you can apply some waterproofing agents to your RTT.

I have been doing research online, and I came across a couple of products. Does anyone have any experience with 303 Fabric Guard or Atsko Silicone Water-Guard? If not, have you found a good product that worked well for you?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!
Like others said I would not put anything on the fabric as a whole, but I do think seem sealer isn't a bad idea. But don't take my word for it. I have only used it on our new tent and will apply more after a whole season,, won't know if it's worth it for several years???

Reactions: Randun

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

The breaking down is generally the seals around the seams as the cotton is typically self-sealing. Cotton swells when wet so while it will feel wet to the touch on the inside, it's typically not going to have much ingress. If you want to re-seal the seams, it's no different than other tents. You brush off the old stuff with a stiff nylon brush (toothbrush works), clean thoroughly, then re-apply sealant.

Though I do recommend keeping up with Nikwax waterproofing on the rain fly. That will prevent the kind of accumulation that does cause the cotton to drip.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
I have a Tepui. Inside it, on the wear points at the fly pole pocket stitching, I used MSR gear repair patches. I have not had a need to waterproof the outside, but if I do I will have no concern about spraying it with Atsko Silicone Water Guard spray. That stuff is amazing, and after it FULLY drys and airs out, there is no smell. I have used it on many tarps, tents and raingear.
Thank you so much for your opinion! I really appreciate it.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Like others said I would not put anything on the fabric as a whole, but I do think seem sealer isn't a bad idea. But don't take my word for it. I have only used it on our new tent and will apply more after a whole season,, won't know if it's worth it for several years???
Thank you so much!

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
The breaking down is generally the seals around the seams as the cotton is typically self-sealing. Cotton swells when wet so while it will feel wet to the touch on the inside, it's typically not going to have much ingress. If you want to re-seal the seams, it's no different than other tents. You brush off the old stuff with a stiff nylon brush (toothbrush works), clean thoroughly, then re-apply sealant.

Though I do recommend keeping up with Nikwax waterproofing on the rain fly. That will prevent the kind of accumulation that does cause the cotton to drip.
Thank you for the tips!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

303 Fabric Guard. Its been around the marine industry for years. The only product Sunbrella recommends. I use it on windbreakers, jackets, hiking boots, backpacks, tents, sun canopy's......anything you need to waterproof. Great product. 303 Protectant is awesome for plastic, vinyl, rubber, leather interiors, , dashboards, tires...makes dried out dull weathered plastic look new.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
303 Fabric Guard. Its been around the marine industry for years. The only product Sunbrella recommends. I use it on windbreakers, jackets, hiking boots, backpacks, tents, sun canopy's......anything you need to waterproof. Great product. 303 Protectant is awesome for plastic, vinyl, rubber, leather interiors, , dashboards, tires...makes dried out dull weathered plastic look new.
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Flipper