Can I use GMRS radio with ham tech license?

• HTML tutorial

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
I just passed my tech exam, and was wondering if I can talk on my Midland GXT500 GMRS two way radio with my ham license, or do I need to apply for a GMRS license?

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I just passed my tech exam, and was wondering if I can talk on my Midland GXT500 GMRS two way radio with my ham license, or do I need to apply for a GMRS license?
Congrats on becoming a Tech!

Get your call sign yet?

Nope you can't use your Ham license for anything but Ham radio.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Congrats on becoming a Tech!

Get your call sign yet?

Nope you can't use your Ham license for anything but Ham radio.
Thanks. No still waiting. I just passed on Saturday. They said about a week or two.

That's what I figured. I couldn't really find a definitive answer online.

Reactions: TerryD

undrh2o

Rank II

Contributor III

Seattle, WA USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7REC
Ditto to the above. Just pay the FCC fee and you get your GMRS license. A lot of people out there use the spectrum w/o a license but as a new HAM operator we should respect the rules and frown on those that use spectrum that is not reserved for them. Also keep in mind that FRS (Family Radio Service) is in the GMRS spectrum and is un-licensed aka the WalMart walkie talkies. The stipulation there is that the antennas are not removable and the radios transmit on .25W (?). GMRS is now being endorsed as the preferred comms for Jeep Jamborees and moving away from Jeepers traditionally using CB radios.