Can I use a dutch oven on a propane camp stove?

• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I'm new to dutch over cooking and where I am going next trip has fire restrictions, so no open fires? Can I put the dutch oven on the propane stove? I assume I will have to stir it a lot more since there will be no heat on top.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Yes, for things like Chili, Clam Chowder, Mac & Cheese with Ground Beef & Green Chili's, Fried Chicken, Poached Pears, etc... You aren't going to be able to bake a cake, Basque Bread, Peach Cobbler without coals...
Omg....now I'm hungry. HaHa...got me with the peach cobbler of course.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

IF you want top heat look into the camp chef dome. I have a few and they kick butt. Be sure to place the dutch oven on the metal disk/ heat difuser on top of the propane grill grate. Then place the dome over it, Its not as good as coal, but it gets the job done. I have pull the lid off and place the dome over to help melt cheese on casseroles nachos etc. FYI use glvoe to pull the dome off as it will get HOT, go figure, its trapping the heat from the burner below but I have watched a few people burned on mine.

Also if you have a dutch oven volcano, you can use the propane ring (or coals) inside that, with the dome over it all. Really even heat that way.

Reactions: Drifterman

DarrenD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Delin
Member #

Absolutely!

Last time I was out I forgot my skillet so I flipped the lid over and used it as my skillet on the stove and it worked PERFECT!