Can I get a little clarity about Overland Bound Geocaches?

• HTML tutorial

HanginWithBen

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Taylorsville, UT
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Roueche
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K17LFR
I'm very intrigued by this section of the forum. I've been geocaching for years now. Is this just geocaching with an off-road twist? Geocaches that are set up by OB members? Or caches that are not registered on geocaching.com but are actually set up on here?
As I said, I've been geocaching for quite some time, so this caught my attention. But I can't tell if it's something new, or just more documentation of certain caches I'm already finding. Can you help clear it up for me?

HanginWithBen

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Taylorsville, UT
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Roueche
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K17LFR
click on this link...might help.

Looks like what I've already been doing.
I'm not trying to come off sounding dumb or a jerk, but is the 'Overland Bound Geocache' thread and subthreads just to bring it to the top of the conversation? That thread you gave me the link to is talking about it already. Or am I still missing something?
By the way, my handle is Hangin' and I'm a premium member with 559 finds over the past years. It's actually a big part of our adventuring trips. We use the Cachly app and my daughter and SIL use the Geocaching app to find them. I've come a long way from downloading them into GSAK on my computer, then importing into my Garmin and printing off tons of pages of info. And my iPhone does a pretty good job of finding them even out of cell service.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Looks like what I've already been doing.
I'm not trying to come off sounding dumb or a jerk, but is the 'Overland Bound Geocache' thread and subthreads just to bring it to the top of the conversation? That thread you gave me the link to is talking about it already. Or am I still missing something?
By the way, my handle is Hangin' and I'm a premium member with 559 finds over the past years. It's actually a big part of our adventuring trips. We use the Cachly app and my daughter and SIL use the Geocaching app to find them. I've come a long way from downloading them into GSAK on my computer, then importing into my Garmin and printing off tons of pages of info. And my iPhone does a pretty good job of finding them even out of cell service.
Oh. Sorry, thought that link might help. I know NOTHING about geocaching and just heard the term for the first time when I joined on last year. I remember seeing that link and thought it might be helpful. You might want to read thru the thread and if one or two members stand out as maybe being pretty experienced with it, send them a personal message and ask. Surely someone on here can answer that.

Reactions: Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There are both OB caches and non OB caches... each have its own section

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
HanginWithBen
So from what I have gathered is that on the OB only geocache is not on geocaching.com it is only in this forum. And there is also threads on geocaching on here for geocaching thru the normal geocaching.com website. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yep, for now the OB caches are separate due to a couple of prizes associated with a set of them and to give OB members ability to get them first, I will add them to the regular GC site later.......

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I'm very intrigued by this section of the forum. I've been geocaching for years now. Is this just geocaching with an off-road twist? Geocaches that are set up by OB members? Or caches that are not registered on geocaching.com but are actually set up on here?
As I said, I've been geocaching for quite some time, so this caught my attention. But I can't tell if it's something new, or just more documentation of certain caches I'm already finding. Can you help clear it up for me?
There are caches set up by members (OB caches), I myself set 10 out as part of a contest (Here: Hidden OB Caches) and nobody has won either prize as of yet.......In fact I do not recall seeing that any of them have indeed been found (They are pretty easy).