Can Anyone Help This Young Blood Out?

• HTML tutorial

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Hi guys just want your advice on the basic details on suspension upgrades? The cost? And do i need both a body lift and a suspension lift? And is it necessary for a tire upgrade immediately? I dont have stock tires and its not lifted. Pls advice me on what enough can I do to participate in less-medium technical trails? Help....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Hi guys just want your advice on the basic details on suspension upgrades? The cost? And do i need both a body lift and a suspension lift? And is it necessary for a tire upgrade immediately? I dont have stock tires and its not lifted. Pls advice me on what enough can I do to participate in less-medium technical trails? Help....

Thought I should add I have an 02 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I'd avoid a body lift and go with a decent 2" suspension kit instead.

What tires do you currently have? You don't have to upgrade to a bigger tire immediately. If you have a good set of AT's stick with them and see where they'll take you.

Stick with what you have for now if everything is new to you. Find out what types of trails/terrain you like to explore and build your rig for that. Many stock vehicles are more capable than the driver who is just starting out. Get to know the limitations of you and your vehicle before dumping a lot of money into mods you may or may not need.

Where are you located and what type of trails are near you?

Reactions: Eric Neal

Kage

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stick with what you have for now if everything is new to you. Find out what types of trails/terrain you like to explore and build your rig for that. Many stock vehicles are more capable than the driver who is just starting out. Get to know the limitations of you and your vehicle before dumping a lot of money into mods you may or may not need.
To add to this, what do you want to do with the truck, and what is your off-roading experience?

Without having a good idea of where you want to end up, you will likely wind up spending quite a bit more money than you intended by redoing things over the years, and possibly cause yourself undo frustrations along the way.

So come up with a solid-ish plan and we can probably help guide you from there.

$0.02

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
So far I have only done Santiago Peak in Corona and the Los Alamos Truck Trail along the Ortega Hwy ultimately ended up in Lake Elsinore.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
So far I have only done Santiago Peak in Corona and the Los Alamos Truck Trail along the Ortega Hwy ultimately ended up in Lake Elsinore.

I am asking cause easy trails I know my rig can do but the trails I feel I want to try needs more. Dont want to go beyond my capabilities if I need clearance and sliders. I think body work is just as expensive and a hassle cause its my day to day car as well.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Big Bear trails it seems need higher clearance dont they? Found someone to do a 3" body lift for $800 but would that hurt me in the long run? I mean can I do that twithout a suspension upgrade even temporarily as I am testing the waters? I dont want to do extreme 4x4 stuff just expedition type overland. Enough to get me through trails in Arizona Nevada and the Utah trip im planning this summer towards Zion and Bryce canyon. Oh and I live in Anaheim OC SoCal.
Attached is somewhat the height and tire size that I want
So i guess 3" suspension lift and 33s. I already have the fender mirror. Tail light and head light. Thinking of getting a Westin Ultimate bullbar and nerf bars or should i get sliders instead? After all that and i have the extra cash ill get a Gobi stealth rack and a supercharger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runnen4fun

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
I already see people asking but the headlights are from Russia I believe they're made in China but I ordered it from my Russian website. Also is it normal for A supercharger to be that cheap I should I question why they marked it down like that?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

That supercharger looks like it's just a rebuild kit, not the actual unit itself. None of that stuff (supercharger, lights, grille) will make your 4Runner more off road capable. Why do you want/need the supercharger? A body lift does just that, lift the body. But everything underneath, like the chassis will not benefit from it. A suspension lift will raise everything but not increase the clearance under the axle. Only larger tires will get you there.

I usually suggest to add mods from the ground up. Tires, lift, diff guards, oil/trans pan guards, sliders, bumpers. If you get an HD front bumper, are you going to add a winch? If so, how will it fit? If you buy that fancy grille, will you have to cut it so the winch will fit? For the price of that grille, you can put together a decent starter recovery kit with everything you need, and have gas money left over.

The choice (and money) is yours to decide what you will do.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
That is exactly the answer I'm looking for. As I Have said I am new and I'm asking for advice. I base it only through eyeballing what I see on YouTube. I will strongly consider your advice and start with tires and suspension

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

You'll find a lot of good info on the OB forum about all kinds of options for your rig. Spend the time to do some research and ask questions along the way.

Reactions: Rubicajon

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Thanks a bunch bro. As a lay person in these matters I wouldve been dooped into buying into other things like that supercharger which actually isnt. Which is why I asked before i even bought. Only got the ones i know is safe for now like the lights and such. Have many more question regarding light bars and spot lights flood lights also underglow lighting which i saw in the trail recon channel for night trail rides actually functional and helpful. Also had questions on the gobi Roof Racks both for light mounting and spare tire storage if i upgrade. If there are other preferences you guys might have that I just havent heard or seen yet. And if ARB the best bumpers to consider... My tires are 31 A/T at the moment btw.

Reactions: JeffG98034

Kage

Rank 0

Traveler I

So slightly different approach based on your prior responses, but pretty much in line with the prior posts.
  1. Armor up (Sliders, skid plates, etc) as this is something that you can keep with you as you continue to move forward with the build. I wouldn't race out to buy bumpers right out of the gate, but do make sure you have some good recovery points on the front and the rear of the vehicle.
  2. Small suspension lift (around the 2" mark). And honestly, I would try to run with little to no lift and just trim to fit whatever size tires you want to run. Since this is your daily, you'll need to keep in mind that any extra height you gain will negatively effect your handling and fuel economy. While SMALL (1.5" or less) body lifts can have their place, I would not go down that road. The slight caveat there is that if you can fit a larger tire size with a combination of a fender trim and small body lift, then I would consider it just to keep all the stock drive-line stuff at roughly the same operating parameters.
  3. Tires - I'd stick around the 32-33" range on stock sized rims. A larger than stock tire aired down a bit will ride much nicer off road than a smaller one. By keeping the tire size more reasonable, you will help keep drive-line components alive longer (like CV's). Do make sure to leave a little room in the budget for some sort of air compressors (or nitrogen bottle) so that you can air up at the end of a trail!
  4. Trail Tools/Spares - While I don't advocate carrying around an entire parts store or Snap On truck with you everywhere, figure out what the common failure points of your rig are and what tools you need to fix things on the side of the road. I am perpetually amazed at how many people I've come across that have zero tools or spares on the side of the trail broken down.

Doing the above will net you a very good base to work off of and sounds like it will be able to get you out further than you have been currently. Depending on your use after the above modifications are done, you can plan your course from there (Locker, Winch, bumpers, Lights, etc).

As mentioned by others, just a "Stock" vehicle with good tires will get you much further than you ever imagined with intelligent driving. So resist the urge to run out and spend lots of money (and down time) on stuff that you likely don't need right out of the gate, and instead spend it on fuel/food for trips. There's been many a trips where we have been out in the middle of nowhere CO/UT/ETC and come across a stock 4x4 running down some fairly extreme trails. The gear can make the trip nicer, but be careful of falling into the trap that everything you see on the internet is necessary to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope that helps some.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
So slightly different approach based on your prior responses, but pretty much in line with the prior posts.
  1. Armor up (Sliders, skid plates, etc) as this is something that you can keep with you as you continue to move forward with the build. I wouldn't race out to buy bumpers right out of the gate, but do make sure you have some good recovery points on the front and the rear of the vehicle.
  2. Small suspension lift (around the 2" mark). And honestly, I would try to run with little to no lift and just trim to fit whatever size tires you want to run. Since this is your daily, you'll need to keep in mind that any extra height you gain will negatively effect your handling and fuel economy. While SMALL (1.5" or less) body lifts can have their place, I would not go down that road. The slight caveat there is that if you can fit a larger tire size with a combination of a fender trim and small body lift, then I would consider it just to keep all the stock drive-line stuff at roughly the same operating parameters.
  3. Tires - I'd stick around the 32-33" range on stock sized rims. A larger than stock tire aired down a bit will ride much nicer off road than a smaller one. By keeping the tire size more reasonable, you will help keep drive-line components alive longer (like CV's). Do make sure to leave a little room in the budget for some sort of air compressors (or nitrogen bottle) so that you can air up at the end of a trail!
  4. Trail Tools/Spares - While I don't advocate carrying around an entire parts store or Snap On truck with you everywhere, figure out what the common failure points of your rig are and what tools you need to fix things on the side of the road. I am perpetually amazed at how many people I've come across that have zero tools or spares on the side of the trail broken down.

Doing the above will net you a very good base to work off of and sounds like it will be able to get you out further than you have been currently. Depending on your use after the above modifications are done, you can plan your course from there (Locker, Winch, bumpers, Lights, etc).

As mentioned by others, just a "Stock" vehicle with good tires will get you much further than you ever imagined with intelligent driving. So resist the urge to run out and spend lots of money (and down time) on stuff that you likely don't need right out of the gate, and instead spend it on fuel/food for trips. There's been many a trips where we have been out in the middle of nowhere CO/UT/ETC and come across a stock 4x4 running down some fairly extreme trails. The gear can make the trip nicer, but be careful of falling into the trap that everything you see on the internet is necessary to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope that helps some.
I Appreciate all the advice you guys have given. Now I can confidently start working on a few things and I will keep you guys posted.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
For us the jeep world is insane with parts. But we stick with substance over style. If we encounter a trail or obstruction we can't clear then that is the next mod we do. We get looked at strangely because we run stock tires and suspension and no 50inch light bars no color matched door handles an on an on an on..... But we have made it furthur than most by knowing our vehicle knowing and building upon our driving skills and upgading when needed. This week we are jumping up to 33s and a 3/4inch spacer for the springs. We haul alot on the roof so we don't want to get our CG to high. My point is as you gain more experience and pick everyone's brain you will find what upgrades are right for you and your situation. Good luck in your adventures and enjoy the outdoors responsibly.

Edit: I also agree with Kage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Neal

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Thanks a bunch guys. All seeds planted in my head. I will be considering it all.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
I am having a hard time looking for sliders. Its shows in google but once i look in the site says not compatible. Can anyone direct me to a company or brand that I can consider to start my rig build. Any of you guys come across Relentless Fabrication yet? I need feedback if they're worth looking into or if their work is good. 96-02 body isnt easy to find upgrades for.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Finally found sliders that are decently priced on Ebay. Hope its worth buying.