Can’t Decide - Trailer, RTT or Ground Tent?

• HTML tutorial

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I recently took a new job that has landed me two amazing things. 1) I have my own truck again. 2) I will be traveling in great Northeast and Midwest overland areas (Think SW Indiana to upstate New York).

Naturally I’m really excited about this and looking into camping options. Other things I might need beside camping gear includes the following:

Laptop (constant use during work days)
Shovel
Large Insect Net
4 Wheeler (on occasion)

I could also have a possible need for extra dry storage such as bed space under a tonneau.

I am trying to decide between camping options. I could use a rack and an RTT, but then I’m driving day to day with extra weight I don’t need on my daily driver. I’ve also thought about making an overland/camping trailer and leaving the truck more geared for work. That way if work+overlanding converge, I just have to hook it up. But if I’m headed to the airport I’m not leaving an awning or RTT in jeopardy. I would also like to be able to take the wife and kids on occasional weekend adventures whenever possible. With a third kid on the way, I thought a ground tent might be the best option.

What would be the best option? I’m open to other suggestions as well!

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I would start out with the simplest option and go with a nice ground tent, you can always move to a trailer or something else later on. Put the money you save by not buying a RTT or trailer and get fridge - that will always come in handy if you needs change and you decide to move away from a tent.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

Have you every considered a hammock I travel for work as well and carry a Hennessy Hammock in the work truck daily just in case local motels are booked
Super easy to setup
Packable and rent a car friendly

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Have you every considered a hammock I travel for work as well and carry a Hennessy Hammock in the work truck daily just in case local motels are booked
Super easy to setup
Packable and rent a car friendly
I haven’t looked at them to be honest. For myself it would be a simple option, but for any chance to camp with kids would be more difficult.

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
I would say a trailer with tent on top. That way you don’t have to pack up to use you truck or go for a night ride.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I put together a small trailer with a RTT mounted on it and the Action Packers geared up and kept on the trailer, ready at a moments notice. It was not a huge investment with the Smittibilt RTT on sale for $750 and the Lowes trailer on sale for $400. A well built Oz tent by itself would run almost that much. I've used it for 2 years now and have over 30 days in the RTT. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it, and everything going forward is a bonus.
Sipsey Trip.jpg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

We went with a trailer but not in the overland/expedition sense. It is a Fleetwood evolution e2 pop up. It is their "off-road" version and has held up surprisingly well. In fact it would go anywhere our old ram would. A couple reasons we went this way.
We were tired of tents to be honest and and rtt is just a nicer tent imho. Nothing against them and I have gotten some great sleep in them just with my back and hip nowdays I really appreciate a comfortable place to sleep lol. 2) my wife camped growing up but never dispersed, so a toilet was non negotiable lol. 3) with the deck on front it allows for extra storage or dirt bikes/quad.
We were originally going to get a fwc but for the price it is hard to beat these. Also I have a tendency to end up having to work while we are on a trip. Having the dinette makes for a fantastic place to plop my laptop down and crank through the work I need to get done. LRM_EXPORT_1106915317887048_20190327_193608324.jpegIMG_20190327_180503_752.jpeg

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Agree with earlier input to start simple - ground tent. There are a bunch of super-easy to set up tents that are cabin-style and allow you to stand up. With a family, it would be the only way to go. I am not a big fan of RTT due to my 60-year old bladder having issues making it through the night without having to pee - going down a ladder to relieve myself doesn't sound safe. We eventually built an off-road teardrop. Gotta admit, it if you can, this is the way to go - off the ground, dry, and warm.

Craftman2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

I also go camping in my daily driver. I find a ground tent to be the best option for me. I have a big, 120L dry bag that I fit all my sleeping gear in: tent, luxury 2-person sleeping pad (Exped megamat), sheets, pillows, and clothes. I can throw it in the trunk or strap it to the roof if there's no room inside my little Jeep.

Since you're just starting to do this with your family I'd vote for the less expensive ground tent option. You could even get a couple of ground tents for way less than the cost of a RTT or trailer.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I started with RRTs and then I got an Oztent RV-5 and I will never have anything else. I LOVE MY RV-5. It s a portable cabin that sets up fully in 5 minutes and sleepable in 23 seconds LOL