Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I got my 2nd Gen Toyota Sequoia about a year now. The SUV is very solid, comfort, roomy & capable engine. Due to my requirement, I opt for a 8 seater SUV instead of 5 seater Toyota Tundra Crewcab.

Since owning, I have started to build it for overlanding/expedition use. I have future plan to drive up to Alaska. Last year, I'm able go out for a mild expedition with the family up north to PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. You can read about my Newfoundland trip on my blog.

http://www.chinpoptrip.com/2016/06/2016-summer-camping-trip.html

Since Nov 2016, I have been acquiring parts for my build. My ride currently has a Front Runner Slimline II roof rack. My truck is currently equipped with
1. BFG KO2 AT tires on OEM stock rim
2. CVT RTT
3. Front Runner Slim Line II Roof Rack
4. Front Runner awning
5. Front Runner accessories and mounting solution.

Here is some pics.

Here is some more planning in a short future.

1. Lift/leveling the SUV using Bilstien shocks/struts with Dobinsons Coil Spring.
2. Expedition trailer - I have a pop-up camper for now.

If interested, you may find installation write up or build on my blog.

http://www.sequoiatravels.com

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

A few changes after last post. I switched the truck tires to BFG KO2. Also added an awning. I do have a roof top tent, but will not installed until July.

Memorial weekend camping on the driveway. I was hoping to head out, but need to stay local. Hence camping on driveway is still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBoy12

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,

I'm building up my 2013 Sequoia. I just joined this site to ask you which frontrunner slimline rack you ended up going with? And did you have to modify it to mount it? Or did it just bolt in the factory posts? I would imaging you went with the FJ rack, but I don't have the ability to measure the post positions to check the data.

Any help is appreciated.

My build is on tundras.com the have a sequoia build section, and my Tacoma overland build is on tacomaworld if you would like to check them out. My user name is the same on both sites. I have some information compiled for research on front and rear bumpers. Most tundra winch ready bumpers will fit but you have to purchase a tundra grill or there will be a 3 inch gap at the bottom of between the grill and top of the bumper.

Check out Mo's build on I8mud.com he has a well put together sequoia.

Cheers,

-Jon

My Sequoia:

Last edited:
Reactions: CampWithChin

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Here is the final setup for 2018. We have test this setup with 2 short trips. RTT is now on trailer. The trailer towed great. We are heading out for a 14+ days trip to the west.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Some pics from our trip out west.

Shaffer trail, Canyonland NP

Schnebly hill rd, Sedona AZ

Sedona, AZ

The rig run awesome and the trailer doing fine on trail.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I have a gen1 toyota sequoia, how did you fit an ARB bumper in your sequoia. Does it require a lot of cutting in your frame.
@Baxter2010, second gen sequoia has similar front as second gen tundra. Any aftermarket bumper made for second gen tundra can be fitted. The ARB bumper for second gen Tundra/sequoia don’t need any cutting. Just bolt onto the existing frame.