Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Decided to try and setup the tent I have, so I drove to a suitable free campsite I know of, I'm seriously considering a rtt instead and just keep the groundtent as a backup (and I decided to represent Overland Bound with my flag).

20190410_165806.jpg

And the view from inside my tent

20190410_170506.jpg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

There are for sure pros and cons to both setups. If you're going to use a ground tent, I definitely recommend a very good sleeping pad, perhaps an air mattress, as you can easily inflate one with your tire air compressor and it will massively improve your comfort. Also a good ground sheet under your tent is a must to protect it and keep you insulated from the dirt.

I spent a good long while debating over RTT vs ground tent of some sort, and I actually settled on an Ozark Trail cot tent instead of an RTT. It keeps me super comfortable and off the ground, and I don't have to break camp if I want to move my vehicle and explore the surrounding area.

Your tent looks nice and compact, so you may wish to consider an option that's very popular in Australia - a lot of guys there will throw their tent or swag on top of a separate camp cot, so they get max comfort, up off the ground, but still have the tent separate from the vehicle. Would save you a lot of money, as well, since you already have the tent and a good cot can be had most places very cheap. You could even consider trying a military style stretcher in lieu of a traditional cot for weight savings. It may work better with your rain fly and tent setup, being that it would be closer to the ground.

Just some ideas to think about.

Reactions: Joey83

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

This should give you an idea of just how small my tent is (my car is 1.8m wide)

20190410_172814.jpg