• HTML tutorial

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Sara,

Welcome. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Mt. Rainier tent from CVT. It comfortably sleeps myself, my wife and my four-year-old (and our two dogs when it rains or they hear coyotes). It could easily accommodate another child. We have the extended version with the ability to create a vestibule room around the ladder. This is great for getting ready for sleep at night and getting dressed in the morning (I like getting dressed out of the wind and cold while standing, not laying down).

I eventually mounted the tent on an off road trailer. While the trailer is an extra expense and brings with it some problems of its own, it allows us to set up a comfortable base camp and then go have fun in the Jeep without having to always pack up the tent.

Hope this helps some... happy to help if I can.

Jeep and Trailer - Arizona.jpg.

Reactions: Chadlyb and sabjku

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I'm looking into getting a rooftop tent for my Jeep looking for one that can hopefully hold more then just two
Does anyone have any recommendations about camping with kids and the best set up with a Jeep View attachment 95117
Hey Sara,

Love your Jeep. There are several out there that can fit 4. You can check out gofsr.com, tepui.com, Smittybuilt makes one. You will want a good roof rack system to hold the weight you can look at the Gobi Recon Stealth, Rhino rack backbone system. I am running the Gofsr automatic hardtop with the LOD sliding roof rack on my Jeep.

I chose Gofsr because I like the hard top and lets not lie its automatic.. I push a button and it goes up and down. :0) I like convenience. I chose the LOD roof rack because it slides all the way back for me to get my hardtop off and put my soft top up and down. This still gives me the ability to have my RTT and my top off. Most roof rack systems you get to chose one or the other.

Let me know if you have anymore question, I would love to help out.

Attachments

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I don't have kids, but I can second Vin's recommendation with the trailer setup. It's so nice being able to set up base and then go explore in the vehicle. With that said, I completely understand the added expense isn't so attractive! I will be camping with my 2.5 yr old nephew for the first time this weekend! I'm sure he's going to have a blast climbing in and out of the Tepui!

@Cendee does have a really awesome set up! I love her Rubicon! @Cendee I'll trade you my Tepui for your GoFSR:tearsofjoy:. I really like that automatic setup!

Reactions: Cendee and Chadlyb

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I don't have kids, but I can second Vin's recommendation with the trailer setup. It's so nice being able to set up base and then go explore in the vehicle. With that said, I completely understand the added expense isn't so attractive! I will be camping with my 2.5 yr old nephew for the first time this weekend! I'm sure he's going to have a blast climbing in and out of the Tepui!

@Cendee does have a really awesome set up! I love her Rubicon! @Cendee I'll trade you my Tepui for your GoFSR:tearsofjoy:. I really like that automatic setup!
Ha ha ha...HELL NO on the trade.. I had CVT for a minute. First time I had to climb on my roof with 17° weather and the zipper was frozen I was done. Automatic is the way to go in you plan on doing winter camping.

Attachments

Reactions: Chadlyb