Launch Member

Member I

Steedman, Missouri, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Droste
Member #

I am about to take me 3 year old on their first camping trip. We are just doing one night but I plan for longer trips this summer. I am looking for tips to keep them entertained while in camp and on the trail.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Entertained?

It is a whole new world.

Just turn them loose and let them explore it. With certain limits of course. Don't point them at the cliff edge just before you turn them loose--that sort of thing--but a new world to explore should not require anything in terms of entertainment. Let them see it, smell it, touch it and get good and dirty.

If they don't know what to do in the first place then you might give them suggestions such as "Go find me 5 (that would be one for each finger on one hand) leaves that each look very different." And then once they come up with the leaves ask them to show you which tree they think each came from. Or something like that. Those are just ideas off the top of my head. But I don't generally have to worry about entertaining The Varmints. Unless we get stuck in our tent on account of rain my only challenge is keeping The Varmints in reachable range. And they quickly figured out that radios increase that range and have bought their own FRS radios and expect me to monitor things at camp.

For a 3 y.o. I would set specific boundaries at camp and let them explore within those bounds. Expect them to get some sort of scrapes/bruises/scratches/insect bites etc, but that is the real world. Give them a bandaid and turn them back around and say "Sic 'em".

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Entertained?
Agree 100% - that’s all great advice. I sometimes make trash cleanup a competition between them. With the education to avoid live rounds, I set a bounty on used cartridges (not going to work with a 3yo). It’s amazing how many shells they’ll pick up, even at a penny a shell.

I find that even at 7ya, it’s best to stop every 45”-1 hour & let them out. While it frustrates my internal drive to go, I’ve found it helps me see my surroundings anew. I now try & budget 15” for pee breaks when we’re traveling along the coast or in the mountains just on regular non-offroad trips-some of our best explorations have been during these brief stops.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Our kids seems to entertain themselves while we are at camp. Between rounding up rocks/pinecones, exploring, climbing in and out of the rooftop tent, swimming etc.
Yep.

If anything, pack along a good soap or solvent for cleaning pine sap off hands. Pine cone collecting seems to be a big hit with The Varmints.

In the fall I put them to work hunting for pine nuts.

Reactions: RainGoat

Medic16

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

La Grande, OR, USA
Member #

I usually do a little treasure hunt with my kids. I will plant some items around the camp area such as cheap binoculars, bug collecting kits, etc. I usually get these items at the dollar store. I then make a little cartoon/pirate map they can look at to try to find the items.
They have small backpacks to put there stuff in as well. They love doing this activity. You can even get cheap pirate outfits at the dollar store too if you really want to go all out.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I like all the posts! I’ve been taking my little ones since they were two on week long trips etc. Frequent stretch breaks are key. For the most part I just let them roam and walk along side them and enjoy watching them discovery a whole new world as someone posted. Here is my favorite pic from my son’s first trip. I think it sums it all up. IMG_3623.jpg

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Have them help you do things around camp. You'd be surprised how much they pick up on. All of our kids have been camping since about 2 to 3 months old. They help gather kindling and carry firewood. My daughter can set up a fire and maintain it. She has for years. Don't bring out electronics unless the weather dictates it. We consider electronic toys to be absolute last resort. Usually reserved for highway travel time only. Last trip I told them we are only charging the tablet before we leave and the night before we come back. So when it's dead it's done. At 3 just walk around camp with them and explore. Set out a small blanket for them to play on if they aren't ready for the dirt yet. It probably won't take long and you'll be getting pulled around to go see stuff.

Reactions: JzzR83 and RainGoat

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I agree with the others on this thread. Come up with some simple activities to use as needed, and also just let kids explore a bit. You might be surprised at how little motivation and structure you end up needing to provide!

IMG_4538.JPG

My kids (ages 8 and 4 - pictured above) both love getting outdoors for camping or hiking, and can spend an hour or more on something as simple as finding the perfect stick for their adventure! Climbing on/over/under anything more than a foot tall also seems to be a big hit most outings. [emoji12]

Also - Be prepared to get more dirt in your tent than you’d like, as it inevitably becomes their base/lair/hideout during the day! It’s a small price to pay for instilling a lifetime of appreciation for the great outdoors.

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

I am about to take me 3 year old on their first camping trip. We are just doing one night but I plan for longer trips this summer. I am looking for tips to keep them entertained while in camp and on the trail.
a good thing to do when you have little ones, especially in mountain lion or bear territory is lace bells on to their shoe strings in case the wander off or god forbid, they get snatched up by an animal.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

All good advice so far.

I've taken my kiddos camping a few times, mostly in camp grounds because we have a child with special needs and most of them are still quite young, but I've found they just run off and explore and play (within set boundaries) with very little need to entertain them. It's a wonderful experience taking kids into nature and guiding them to notice and explore the beauty of God's creation. Their natural curiousity, especially when encouraged, will tend to keep them fascinated for hours and hours. It's a very good life practice to start them on!

Have fun!

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Great thread! I have a one year old that I plan to get out once she's a little bit older.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

When my family (of 8) used to do large calling trips (Dispersed), we never had entertainment. The great outdoors was enough for us! When we where driving, we where sleeping, watching outside, playing I spy, or reading. When we got to the campsite, we always explored what was around. We even did it when my younger brothers were 1.

Reactions: CR-Venturer