Camping with 2 big dogs

• HTML tutorial

Jeep4venturing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Southeast missouri
Member #

My camping plans for spring have taken an an interesting turn. Due to circumstance I will be keeping 2 big dogs and a pug. This is all out of a 93 cherokee.I plan on sleeping in the jeep some but also out of a tent. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sent from my VK815 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kumayama

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Since my dogs sleep in bed with me the transition to camping is easy. They sleep with us in the tent and I bring their dog beds. When we transitioned to a roof top tent, that got a little more complicated but we make it work. And since the tent is trailer mounted it's actually not too bad.

Last edited:

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I'll be keeping my 2 on 10-15 ft rope to my hitch receiver and we already sleep with ours at home so it won't be too different, maybe just buy a bigger tent lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

IMG_9054.JPG 6174624576_IMG_1050.JPG My Great Pyrenees takes up the entire second row. So I don't even count it as cargo space. We sleep in the RTT and the giant sleeps in the backseat. The two little dogs sleep in the front seats. No way to get the big dog into the RTT, plus he is afraid of Ramps and bridges

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I camp in a ground tent with my dog. I have a moving blanket that is always in the back of the jeep so it's become her blanket. When I set up camp, she hangs out on the blanket. During the day outside, at night I toss it in the tent and she knows its her spot...
Getting a roof rack so more stuff can go up there and maintain her space inside the back with the seats down....
I also purchased a spike with a swivel and a lead on it so she's always anchored when in camp. Would "probably" be fine without it, but she has a high prey drive and I've never wanted to risk her taking off after something.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I camp in a ground tent with my dog. I have a moving blanket that is always in the back of the jeep so it's become her blanket. When I set up camp, she hangs out on the blanket. During the day outside, at night I toss it in the tent and she knows its her spot...
Getting a roof rack so more stuff can go up there and maintain her space inside the back with the seats down....
I also purchased a spike with a swivel and a lead on it so she's always anchored when in camp. Would "probably" be fine without it, but she has a high prey drive and I've never wanted to risk her taking off after something.

Cool. I usually hook my dog to the winch, sliders or tow shackles depending on where the sun is

Reactions: TnK1

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Two German Shepherd's and both sleep in our RTT with us. We tie them out to D - rings on the Jeep depending on Sun and weather.

To get in the RTT I picked up some abrasives ladder step stickers from Lowes -- the kind you would use on a patio stair - - and out then on the hood of the Jeep. The dogs hop the bumper onto the hood and hop into the back door of the tent.

Before the RTT we used a ground tent and it was even easier; I second the suggestion of having a blanket that is "theirs" . I'd recommend a decent wool one though - - just like people they need a warm spot. If their bed is damp it'll be cold and you may wake up to a large dog claiming part of your sleeping bag for warmth!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Two German Shepherd's and both sleep in our RTT with us. We tie them out to D - rings on the Jeep depending on Sun and weather.

To get in the RTT I picked up some abrasives ladder step stickers from Lowes -- the kind you would use on a patio stair - - and out then on the hood of the Jeep. The dogs hop the bumper onto the hood and hop into the back door of the tent.

Before the RTT we used a ground tent and it was even easier; I second the suggestion of having a blanket that is "theirs" . I'd recommend a decent wool one though - - just like people they need a warm spot. If their bed is damp it'll be cold and you may wake up to a large dog claiming part of your sleeping bag for warmth!

I also have two GSD's I would love to see some pictures of this and how you are doing it. I have been working with a ramp up to my RTT and it seems to do the job, but would like to see what you are doing. IMG_0974.JPG

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi Gary,

That's a beautiful GSD you have there.

You can see our pup's technique for climbing in and out of the car at this video; go to 2:25 to see her in action (link should start you at the right spot):

In terms of how the hood is configured, you can see that here. The dogs hop onto the bumper, then onto the hood. The hood has these traction aids from Lowes, as well as some 2 inch traction tape, to prevent slipping (these pics aren't the best as I just ran out to take them a few moments ago)

And a shameless plug for my pups, because why not:

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Hi Gary,

That's a beautiful GSD you have there.

You can see our pup's technique for climbing in and out of the car at this video; go to 2:25 to see her in action (link should start you at the right spot):

In terms of how the hood is configured, you can see that here. The dogs hop onto the bumper, then onto the hood. The hood has these traction aids from Lowes, as well as some 2 inch traction tape, to prevent slipping (these pics aren't the best as I just ran out to take them a few moments ago)

And a shameless plug for my pups, because why not:

Greg Thank you! That was perfect. I have heard of others doing this, but could not see it happening. Now to plan my next project. Great video as well. I use the traction tape along the door sills already. Not going to doIMG_0693.JPG that on my hood, so I will need a work around for that. I have a Nissan Rouge SUV and it is my daily driver. I have a ramp worked out, but would like to find an alternate. This would be easy for Tiger (longcoated black and red) My girl Echo is 9 and no longer jumping. She is likely going to stay in the car, unless I bring the ramp, which is bulky and hard to take along. Still working through it all.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Gary if I may offer another suggestion - before we went with the permanent solution of the traction tape, we used a removable sheet.

It was made out of the stuff that folks use to open jars or line drawers with -- kind of rubberized puffy sheet of bubbles all connected. Normally it comes in 12 or 18 inch swaths for toolbox drawers and such but we found it at the local Fabric store and it was on a roll that was 8 feet wide. We had them cut us an 8 foot piece so we have a 64 sq. Ft. Chunk. We would fold that over a few times and lay it on the hood and it would do the same thing as the traction tape but it was removable. It doubled as a blanket for the dog when not used in that way. No scratches on the hood either (at least not from dog paws!!)

One of my dogs, Addi, is also 9. Toward the end of last season she was needing a hand to get on the hood but could make the jump to the roof Ok. My wifes a vet technician and so we started giving Addi a dose of anti inflammatory meds with supper and she's like a puppy again!

Good luck sorting something out and let me know if there's any more help I can provide!

Reactions: Gary Stevens

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

We currently hit the trails with two Newfoundlands and (sometimes) and English Mastiff....so we are often rolling with 375lbs of dog. We usually keep the younger dogs on a long lead with harnesses so there isn't as much worry about them slipping a collar or becoming entangled and choking. The one thing I would recommend is picking up some cheap battery powered strobes or chem lights to attach to their collars. I always worry about one of our bear looking Newfs slipping out and wandering down the road just to get shot by a jumpy camper. It also helps to track them when there isn't much moonlight!

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

We currently hit the trails with two Newfoundlands and (sometimes) and English Mastiff....so we are often rolling with 375lbs of dog. We usually keep the younger dogs on a long lead with harnesses so there isn't as much worry about them slipping a collar or becoming entangled and choking. The one thing I would recommend is picking up some cheap battery powered strobes or chem lights to attach to their collars. I always worry about one of our bear looking Newfs slipping out and wandering down the road just to get shot by a jumpy camper. It also helps to track them when there isn't much moonlight!
These LED collars work great, I have had them about a year now.
https://tinyurl.com/mla8cdp