Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

I went camping the other weekend and my friend had got one of these collapsible rakes and it worked great at clearing the area around the fire ring. I've already ordered one as it made clearing out the leaves a lot quicker and it doesn't take up a lot of room when folded up. Its definitely not up to everyday use around your yard, but for clearing out a little bit of leaves or pine needles, it works great.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I'd like to see this rake, but all I see is an Amazon logo that's not a link. Perhaps you could paste in a link in text form?

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I bought one of these many years ago---it's heavy, full size, and doesn't collapse---but if you have to chop vegetation and/or move a lot of earth, there's nothing better.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

I've carried one of these for years. Collateral benefit thats very important to me.... I rake the entire site within the perimeter of my dog's rope. Leaf piles tend to hold alot of ticks. Gotta keep those pups safe!
exactly, its amazing the amount of bugs you see after raking up dead leaves. the other thing out here is pine needles and of course my dog loves to lay down anywhere, so i get worried about tree sap with the pine needles. sucks having to clean sap out of the fur.

Reactions: MuckSavage

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i'm still waiting on the one in the amazon link. it didn't indicate it on amazon until the order went through and i got the shipping notification, but its being shipped from china. its the same rake as my friends though. i think it worked good, but you have to be slightly more gentle with it than your normal rake at home. its a given that you sacrifice some of the heavy duty strength for the ability to fold it down. i really like the size of it when its all folded up and the handle is telescoped in, makes it easy to store in a trailer.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

BTW, another thing I started doing was raking the sandy soil around my camp/trailer before I go on a hike or a float. When I return, I know if someone was snooping around by the footprints in the sand

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I went camping the other weekend and my friend had got one of these collapsible rakes and it worked great at clearing the area around the fire ring. I've already ordered one as it made clearing out the leaves a lot quicker and it doesn't take up a lot of room when folded up. Its definitely not up to everyday use around your yard, but for clearing out a little bit of leaves or pine needles, it works great.

epoxy flake flooring minneapolis
aside from a unique spouse or pet, what is the most unusual thing which always accompanies you on a camping trip. You know, the one-of-a-kind thing that you don't think anybody in their right mind (except you) would take camping? It could be a tool. It could be an unusual food. It could be, well, whatever you think you take along that no one else takes. Aside from some unmentionable things (and I'll leave this up to your imagination), the most unusual thing Pam and I take is a small, three foot long, garden rake. I believe the proper name is "bush" rake. The small, not wider than an out-stretched hand, rake comes in handy for quickly sprucing up our campsite. I started carrying a rake years ago, when I watch the National Forest campground host rake down the campsite next to me. Not only did he pick up a lot of junk ... the recently raked campsite really looked spiffy. So, from that day forward, we started carrying our own rake ... and will often rake down the campsite, particularly if it's littered with twisty bits of plastic, cigarette butts and old bottle caps. Another usual thing we carry is a full-sized hand-saw ... why? Well, you just never know when something's gonna need sawing. So how about you? What do you carry that you think most folks don't?

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@jimmyjamson I think that "Unusual Camping Items" would actually serve well as its own thread, don't you?

A rake isn't some thing that I would have thought to bring along, but if I was going to use a ground tent, I can appreciate its utility!

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

fyi, the rake i ordered finally showed up after a month and a half (was shipped from china, hence the long delivery time) and the one i got does not have a telescoping handle. the rake part spreads out just fine, but the handle is short. i'll keep it and use it, but having a longer handle would have been nice. i might look at finding a way to connect it to my broom handle for the broom i leave in my trailer.

i also double checked the item on amazon and it pictures a telescoping handle, so if you were considering the link above, be aware that you may not get the telescoping handle.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I found a light duty rake I liked at Home Depot but it came with a wooden handle that was too long and difficult to store away. I replaced it with a folding handle from a snow brush. This thing is surprisingly handy.

Rake 1.jpgRake 2.jpg

Reactions: socal geek guy

HaveeBear2

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Maryland
First Name
Javi
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
I like it! I had thought of bringing along my full length rake to clear out the area where the tent will sit.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have an 18V Ryobi blower that I bring with me. Works great for clearing the ground and for blowing sand and leaves off your camping carpet or tarp!