Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Looking at the thumbnail, it looked at first like a two tone rig bogged past the axles in the sand lol. Glad it wasn't that! Glad to hear your trip was a success. :D

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
IMG_5575.JPG
Not quite "overlanding," but we were able to have a small family reunion with our kids and grandkids in our camper trailers this summer at the same campground. I must say that although we were packed in with other campers (we chose to be this close because we are family), the campground is well run, well maintained, and such a beautiful setting. Having military connections has perks!

Nate_JKU

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millington, TN
Member #

View attachment 65425
Not quite "overlanding," but we were able to have a small family reunion with our kids and grandkids in our camper trailers this summer at the same campground. I must say that although we were packed in with other campers (we chose to be this close because we are family), the campground is well run, well maintained, and such a beautiful setting. Having military connections has perks!
Nice setup!!! We’re going to try to come back during offseason.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
What's the name of that campground? Is it actually inside the base (ie can't bring guns in)?
It is the "San Onofre Beach" campground and yes it is inside the base. We have military in our family and that is how we were able to get a reservation and access. It is close to San Clemente and just off the freeway.

Reactions: ScorpioVI

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

It is the "San Onofre Beach" campground and yes it is inside the base. We have military in our family and that is how we were able to get a reservation and access. It is close to San Clemente and just off the freeway.
The San Onofre State Beach campground is open to the public, and very close by. It's a regular paved campground, so even less "overlandy", but I spent many nights there during my last year on Pendleton (I was living in a camper full time) and it was pretty amazing. Stay on the cliffs side, though, if you do go; there's no hookups or other niceties, but being right on the cliffs is well worth it.

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

The San Onofre State Beach campground is open to the public, and very close by. It's a regular paved campground, so even less "overlandy", but I spent many nights there during my last year on Pendleton (I was living in a camper full time) and it was pretty amazing. Stay on the cliffs side, though, if you do go; there's no hookups or other niceties, but being right on the cliffs is well worth it.
But you have to go through the gates of the base to access it? I travel with firearms so bases are generally off-limits to me.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

But you have to go through the gates of the base to access it? I travel with firearms so bases are generally off-limits to me.
Nope; the state beach is surrounded by the base, but is state land, not federal.

Being The People's Republic of California there may be other restrictions in place, but I can't speak to that since I didn't bring my firearms while I was stationed there.

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Nope; the state beach is surrounded by the base, but is state land, not federal.

Being The People's Republic of California there may be other restrictions in place, but I can't speak to that since I didn't bring my firearms while I was stationed there.
Thanks brother!

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB

Yes, the State Park is right next to the base facility - you can actually walk along the beach from the state park through the military base section (you are supposed to stay on the beach and not "wander" up on the federal land. They do have roving security patrols. Also, as GatorDoc noted, it is a paved "RV friendly" campground and the rigs are packed in there in pretty close proximity. The crashing of the waves tends to drown out any noise issue from nearby neighbors. With that said, it was still a pretty amazing experience to camp that close to the Pacific Ocean.