Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

My wife and I are going to be arriving at Yellowstone from the south (drive from New Mexico), and leave from the west (driving to Seattle) early next week. We will spend probably about 3 days in the park. We have been to Yellowstone before, but not this century.

I have been looking at when the non-reserved campgrounds fill up, and it seems to be early to mid-morning, so it looks like we can't be confident of being able to stay in the park. What are the options for being able to camp not too far outside of the park? We prefer dispersed camping, but will take anything reasonable really.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Ah ........... you ARE going to want to stay in the "John D Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway". It is an 8 mile stretch between the top of The Grand Tetons National Park and the bottom of Yellowstone National Park.

I don't have the phone number handy but you can look up "Flagg Ranch Information Station" , give them a call and reserve your camp site. Trust me, I am NOT one to use campgrounds, but when in close proximity to National Parks sometimes you don't have a choice.
It is a very nice campground, showers too, and just few minutes from either park. IMHO, a much nicer campground than either park had as it was far less congested. I think you'll like it! :smiley:

You also might be able to camp some where along Grassy Lake Road, you might ask the information center. I needed the campground for a shower (6 days without) LOL

IMG_1491.jpg

Last edited:

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Just a little bit farther on, closer to the Tetons, I found Lizard Creek campground to be great. Quiet & on the lake.

Reactions: Brian Glendenning

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

If you want to go to the NE entrance there are several quiet and semi isolated camping areas 5-8 mins inside the NE entrance. Just as the road goes from due west it turns to S/SW. If traveling towards the NE entrance, the creek will cross under and is on the south side of the road. There is a pull out with 5 or 6 spots. Isolated and very less traveled. About 7-8 mins further inside the park is Pebble Creek campground. Bigger but again, far less traveled. Plus Silver Gate and Cooke City are terrific stops. Great food in Cooke City. If you head outside that entrance you will wind up in several areas:

Clay Butte
Top of the World
Beartooth Pass
Red Lodge

Lots of pullout camping along Beartooth Pass above 10,000'. I car camped up there one night around this time of year. It dropped 30 unexpected degrees and snowed at 11,000'.

Reactions: Brian Glendenning

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

OP reporting back here. We camped 3 nights in the Yellowstone area and had no difficulty finding camping despite Yellowstone being very busy with no availability in the park itself.

1. We found dispersed camping in the Targhee national forest south of West Yellowstone. Where we were at least was very quiet and we found a very nice large spot by ourselves.
2. We found dispersed camping just south of the south entrance in the section of Grassy Lake road in the national forest. This area was relatively busy, and the fantastic dispersed sites by the lake were all full, but we had no problem finding a nice isolated spot.
3. We camped at the Timber Camp primitive (vault toilet, picnic tables) campground. Lovely, but there were 5 groups and only 3 designated spots, which was a bit annoying, but I suspect is not uncommon.

Bottom line - even at a busy time if you are able to drive on Forest Service roads you should be able to find places to camp at Yellowstone.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

We camped by Grassy lake last year. Worst mosquitos ever for us
I think there's already been some freezing weather this year, so mosquitos were either gone or minimal for us. (We were not by the lake but were by water).

love05Rigby

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Eliot
Last Name
Reid
Member #

Thank you for reporting back - we're about to leave on a trip going the same way and I've been very worried about finding camping in the same areas, so having ideas of where to look is so helpful. Thanks again!

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Thank you for reporting back - we're about to leave on a trip going the same way and I've been very worried about finding camping in the same areas, so having ideas of where to look is so helpful. Thanks again!
Understood - I was stressed about it. Just give yourself time to get out of the park and onto forest service roads before dark, and you'll be good.