OverGlamper

Rank I

Contributor III

San Francisco
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Green
View attachment 49473 View attachment 49472 View attachment 49472 View attachment 49472 This is our first year with our camper and we plan on doing a lot of high alpine camping in CO. and also Idaho and Wyoming. I'm sure we will come across severe storms and will have shelter in the truck and camper. Can you share your experiences and advice on staying safe out in the open in this type of camper?
Is there a metal frame/aluminum walls? If so you are safe. Google faraday cage and lightning. There are some all wood teardrop campers. I would never get one due to the lack of lightning protection.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 49473 View attachment 49472 View attachment 49472 View attachment 49472 This is our first year with our camper and we plan on doing a lot of high alpine camping in CO. and also Idaho and Wyoming. I'm sure we will come across severe storms and will have shelter in the truck and camper. Can you share your experiences and advice on staying safe out in the open in this type of camper?
Good question. I need to find that out myself. I have steel frame covered with aluminum. Seems like grounding rod would be needed. Maybe because the camper sets on rubber tires we will be safe, the same as a car. I dont know about the steel jack stands making contact with the ground though..Scary thought, huh ?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Good question. I need to find that out myself. I have steel frame covered with aluminum. Seems like grounding rod would be needed. Maybe because the camper sets on rubber tires we will be safe, the same as a car. I dont know about the steel jack stands making contact with the ground though..Scary thought, huh ?
No need to worry in that case at all. As long as you are surrounded by metal you are fine. And no, the tires are completely irrelevant. Consider the lightning as an arc that is sparking from the clouds to the ground. A few inches of rubber is nothing to that arc. What matters is that you are surrounded by something conductive. That places you in an enclosed conductor meaning that anything inbound is balanced on the outbound side. Nothing changes within the enclosed conductor. Imagine that you could sit still inside a piece of house wiring or a single conductor in an extension cord. You would notice nothing at all as the power went through that line. It is when you are not shielded by something conductive that you need to worry. In that case you may become the conductor. You would notice that, if only briefly.