US Rocky Mountain Camping, hiking and a couple trails in the San Juan area

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

My wife isn't as adventurous as I am. So I have gone down to the area a couple times with two different groups so that I could explore all the trails. (They are very special!) And to scout the trails so that I know which ones she would be OK with and scouted places we can camp at. We love exploring the mountain towns walking about enjoying the things each have that makes them unique.

Look forward to meeting you also.

Reactions: Wandering Wanda

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We are interested in taking Imogene pass out of Telluride when we leave. We did not get to do this the last time we was in the area due to trail repairs. I was thinking do the trail and then meet back up with the group for camp. Would anyone be interested?
That is exactly what I hope others in the group would want to do. My hope is that we can meet in Ouray at a designated time. Personally Imogene Pass is one (my favorite trail down there.) of the best trails in the area. The trail takes 3-4 hours to enjoy so might want to spend just a little time in Telluride and then go over the pass.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I'm coming to June Jam. I had considered going early to cross off some Jeep Badge of Honor trails.

Do you have intentions of running these:
Engineer Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass (you've already mentioned this one)
Ophir Pass

I'd be down to extend my stay if I can knock some of these out as well.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Wishihada4runner;

I have run all the for mentioned trails except Poughkeepsie Gulch (was closed the times I was down there). But this trip I'm sitting out those trails as they are above my wife's pay-grade, but I am hoping that others that want to tackle them won't hold that against me. Those trail are epic no doubt. And for the most part are easy for those with a good grasp on wheeling. There are great places to meet back up at 4-5pm, so that we can go to planned campsites or if taken explore a little and find one that will suffice.

We should start dialog with everyone who is planning to go on this trip so that you can make sure this trip worth your while. Because my hope is that by going down and camping, those that want to run trail can and are not tied to my agenda.
The areas I have picked out are perfectly suited to take on those trails and then meet back up later.

Wandering Wanda

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Conway Springs, Sumner County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Jay and Lisa
Last Name
Wisdom
We are definitely in for Imogene and engineer. We did black bear and ophir last year so we would probably be out on those. We will be staying in colorado through the 4th so time shouldn't be a pressing issue for us. We are keeping a pretty loose schedule so we are up for about anything.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm pretty excited as well. Wife and I are taking our first long vacation. Starts May 27th and ends August 8th. Tons of things planned right from the start. Three week East coast trip. Then June Jam/San Juan's trip. We will be driving an awful lot during the month of June. One of the reasons we are limiting the trails we are going to do.
One of the things I'm looking forward to is hanging out with my wife at a couple of hot springs pools. Cotton wood hot springs and Ourays hot springs pool. Good way to relax and clean up between so many nights of camping. Like I said the campsites lend well to doing all the trails everyone desires. Especially Imogene and the Alpine loop. One thing to note is the only real difficult trails in the area is Mineral Creek, Poughkeepsie Gulch and Some parts of Imogene. Nothing that experienced driver can't navigate with care and by passes.
June Jam will be a blast, as there will be enough rigs to run trails with as much as anyone wants to. Neal has done a good thing getting this event off the ground. He should be commended for it.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I am too! We have soo much going on for the next 6 weeks that June Jam will be here before you know it. We did the same thing last year attended June Jam and left there for Ouray. Only difference this time is we stayed in the Matterhorn Inn last year this year we are camping instead. I think it's one of the best places in Colorado.

Reactions: wishihada4runner

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Hey y’all,
I’ll be in Colorado during roughly the same time. I arrive in RMNP on June 16, then circle west, south and then back north to Ridgway before leaving the state on July 7. I won’t be attending June Jam, as I finalized my itinerary before it was posted.
I’ll keep your event on my radar, as I’d like to hit a few of the easier trails if time/weather permits.

Reactions: wishihada4runner

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Thanks for updating with all the details! I just changed my PTO dates from arriving early to staying late. I’ll be heading home the Wednesday after. Although, I do work full remote so maybe I could get one of the new mobile Starlink units as a demo and work from a camp site…

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hey y’all,
I’ll be in Colorado during roughly the same time. I arrive in RMNP on June 16, then circle west, south and then back north to Ridgway before leaving the state on July 7. I won’t be attending June Jam, as I finalized my itinerary before it was posted.
I’ll keep your event on my radar, as I’d like to hit a few of the easier trails if time/weather permits.
If we hear from you when things get closer I will let you know where we will be. Ridge way is kind of our starting point. Other then meeting in Montrose (Good place for us to resupply).