Launch Member

Enthusiast I

rocklin, california
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Black
Member #

I’m a new member and just got a rig (stock as of now) and have zero camping items and want to start getting the gear as I can afford.. is there a check list that I can use to collect the items I’ll need for overlanding?

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
I’m a new member and just got a rig (stock as of now) and have zero camping items and want to start getting the gear as I can afford.. is there a check list that I can use to collect the items I’ll need for overlanding?
Micheal posted a list and made a YouTube video as well.

The Ultimate Overland Checklist

Reactions: jerryb and Chadlyb

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
REI has a list and there are a number of others out there. It really depends on your required level of comfort. One in my group sleeps under the stars, others in their vehicle, some in roof top tents, some in ground tents, some in teardrops... So start with how you want to camp. Are there essentials for any trip? Sure and the Overland Bound list covers them.

The same applies to eating. Everyone has different preferences. I personally thing the best way to see what you need is to go camping with others. See what they have. You will like some of it and won't like others. You really can't go wrong with a nice 2 burner stove, basic cookware, and plates, etc. Build up from there. I have changed my setup countless times through the years and as of late have been scaling things back. I was just carry too much stuff that was never used.

You will also want to see recovery gear lists and start building up those items.

Good luck!

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I have changed my setup countless times through the years and as of late have been scaling things back. I was just carry too much stuff that was never used.

You will also want to see recovery gear lists and start building up those items.

Good luck!
Good advice from 1Louder, especially that last bit. If you’ve got other gear intensive hobbies you hopefully get the meaning in his statement. Another saying that fits...The more you know, the less you need.

How about a few details from you? Sleeping alone or with others? Any critters involved? Is your rig big or small? Do you like to cook or just like to eat? Weekend warrior or going full-time? Like most of us, you’re likely in the middle on a lot of these but the info helps. Like others have said, there’s no one list that fits everyone.

Since you asked for gear advice and not philosophy here’s this. For near vehicle solo sleeping, if I’m not in a hammock I use this.

Reactions: jerryb and 1Louder

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Used camping gear generally has poor resale value... which is good for the potential buyer. Pick up a bunch of used gear and try it out for a few outings. After that, you'll have a better idea of what you want/like. FWIW, I probably have 4x of all camping gear just trying to figure what I like most.

Last edited:

CROwarrior21m

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
Member #

Used camping generally has poor resale value... which is good for the potential buyer. Pick up a bunch of used gear and try it out for a few outings. After that, you'll have a better idea of what you want/like. FWIW, I probably have 4x of all camping gear just trying to figure what I like most.
Agreed. I picked up a used REI tent that ended up being in great condition from that REI warehouse sale or something or other. Build as you go.

Reactions: Patriot

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I bought a few things to start and after meeting up with others and camping for the weekend those items are now in the closet. I would buy a few essentials and get out with members. Check out what they have and see if you like it before you start dumping money into gear you may not use. There are a few things that I have that I absolutely love: 1. My Freespirite Recreation RTT 2. Jackery 240 power box 3. JetBoil.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I echo the comments above.. but also add that the gear you take is going to need to be specific for your style of overlanding.. there are so many options and applications that will work for some and not for others.. that being said.. for starters, address the basic needs with something you can use in any situation, communication, first aid kit, sleeping bag, basic small ground tent, pad.. something to hold water..and a cooler to keep things cold.. regardless of how "built" your rig becomes.. these items will always be useful.. and are relatively in-expensive. You can eat canned food and sandwiches until you have some exposure to different cooking solutions, but a small stove like a Jetboil or Primus can always be used for smaller trips or quick meals even if you have a kitchen in your rig. Just my .02

Reactions: jerryb

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

jerryb,
Look up the post entitled, “You are invited “, by Sandpoint Steve., There is a working list of what Items to bring on a trip! Hope this helps you get started with some great information and ideas. Vance.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Micheal posted a list and made a YouTube video as well.
The Ultimate Overland Checklist
I agree this is a great list. Just remember, it should be used as a guide to start with only. We've camped everywhere from Padre Island to the White Mountains, in everything from a small ground tent to a 32' travel trailer and every trip is different. Thus, every trip's needs are different.

#1 tip - Forget about upgrading your rig until you are totally comfortable with the actual camping experience. Start small with the basics and work up.

Get an affordable tent. You'll probably replace it in the near future for something you like better anyway, so no reason to spend $500+ right off the bat. Then, set it up and take it down in your back yard several times. The more familiar you are doing this now, the easier (and less stressful) it will be on site at 0-dark-30.

Get the sleeping gear YOU want. Like a sleeping bag and mat? Fine. Want an air mattress with blankets instead? That's alright, too. You are the one that is going to be using it, so whatever makes for a good nights sleep for you is what you should get.

Get a small propane camp stove, a 5 gallon water container, an insulated cooler, a camp cook kit, and some canned food you can heat up easily like soup or chili.

Now, take all this new gear, pack it in your truck, and head out to a nearby state park for a weekend trip. This will be the first of several trial runs. Overlanding/camping is a dynamic process and there really is no "done" list. So, bring a notepad and pencil every time to make notes of things you need to change, add, or remove. Your gear will evolve and adapt to your needs over time and before you know it, you'll have everything you need.

Lastly, get to know your local OB members. They are a great resource!!

Note: a good first aid kit, flashlight and fire extinguisher should be in your rig at all times anyway. Don't skimp on them.

jerryb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

rocklin, california
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Black
Member #

Great info to start with.. my wife and I want to at least get started with a RTT ... can’t wait to get out and figure it all out.!!

jerryb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

rocklin, california
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Black
Member #

one thing I don't see any one discussing is the issue of "when nature calls".. I say that because I will be traveling as a couple and , well you know.. "happy wife. happy life"..!! so what's the set up/method of the unmentionable??

Reactions: Viking1204

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

In a park you are set with at least an outhouse. I always have a roll of TP with me and a small shovel. Dig a hole so that when done you have about 10-12 inches of dirt over the top when done. Keep wet wipes and hand sanitizer with you. Some sites to “dry camp”, you have to take care of all waste’s dog and yours. Good idea to do so regardless, always leave a camping spot cleaner than you found it! Vance.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
May want to snag used gear that people like myself went out and bought all new camper and gear to appease the wife. I bet there are certain things, I can already name a few that are going to be useless to us, but bought brand new and will never need. It was my way of accommodating her requests and getting the trailer I wanted. She wanted a coffee maker, I got myself an inverter out of it. She wanted a nice folding dining table that seats 6 people with rolling top and here I cant find chairs that sit high enough for it. That table wont be used for two of us. She wanted a dutch oven, skottle and whatever else and I could eat hot dogs over a campfire lol.

My overlanding list started off with 20 items on it as I have all the recovery gear from my jeep and my list now would overwhelm many. I havent even got the camper out on its first trip yet and thing is stocked, we’ll see what I decide to keep after expo west next week.

To answer your question about bathroom/shower type stuff, I got her a portable toilet and a 2-room portable privacy tent (one side bathroom, other side shower tent). I doubt the shower will get used for a weekend trip, but we do have instant hot water at our disposal if needed.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Give tarp camping some consideration...simple and cheap. An 8'x10' costs as little as $10 at Wally World. Also, look at the new backpacking quilts vs. the traditional sleeping bag. Love my down quilt. DO NOT cheap out on mats...a Thermarest at a minimum. Good Will Store or garage sales are 2 sources to snag Coleman stoves for dirt cheap.
28110013.JPG

Reactions: Ricky-Bobbi

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I started like Michael suggest with 3 cases, they fit my rack and then some.....I also took a tip from Corrie and we make a list of what we wish we brought, what we should have brought (Diff being one you should have the firs you would like to have) and a list of what we did not need to bring. We do the list on every trip, we now have it down with a longer trip dispersed camping (say a week) and a couple days.....

A recent great video Michael did about what to pack turned me onto a quick grab boox, you wills ee in the vid here:
Here are a couple links to OB lists/gear: Overland Trip Packing - How to Guide to Get You On the Trail! The Ultimate Overland Checklist - Overland Bound Overland Trip Planning: Know Before You Go - Overland Bound

DO NOT go out and drop a ton of money on stuff, you may find you bought stuff you really dont need or like, I spent a lot of time on here asking about things, good example is a coffee press, never heard of such a thing, but when I asked what people did for coffee, that was one I grabbed onto, I love it! Best thing I bought! Anyway you get the idea.... Ask learn.

Forget your vehicle mods till you are 100% sure of what type driving you will be doing , will you be on forest roads or will you need to crawl over boulders to get back into a sweet spot? Maybe a bit extreme but you get it.... Also like camping gear, go slow and DO NOT spend a ton till you do research.

Last DO NOT wait to have everything perfect (gear or truck), get out there, go spend an overnighter someplace, enjoy our beautiful country... Just get out and do it.

Jim

PS think about communication both regular and emergency, out them on your list!

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

one thing I don't see any one discussing is the issue of "when nature calls".. I say that because I will be traveling as a couple and , well you know.. "happy wife. happy life"..!! so what's the set up/method of the unmentionable??
That is why a park is a good place to start. One less thing to initially worry about but it makes you consider the subject. There are also some remote parks with outhouses in National forest lands you may consider. In the Ozarks I found a day use area that was empty that had an outhouse. If you find something like that you could camp near it so you have access.

There are also a lot of options for camp toilets and pop up bathroom tents you could buy. I saw a bucket with a tolet seat on it the other day at cabelas. It is a cheap option. I usually stick with toilet paper and a shovel along with baby wipes and Purell for hand sanitation. But I doubt there are to many women that would want to deal with that.

Reactions: jerryb

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Give tarp camping some consideration...simple and cheap. An 8'x10' costs as little as $10 at Wally World. Also, look at the new backpacking quilts vs. the traditional sleeping bag. Love my down quilt. DO NOT cheap out on mats...a Thermarest at a minimum. Good Will Store or garage sales are 2 sources to snag Coleman stoves for dirt cheap.
View attachment 97036
Not sure how you get away with that in Alabama, I've hunted there before and the bugs would eat you alive! Nothing to keep one of the many venomous snakes in the South from crawling in with you either!

Reactions: kingofthehill29