Launch Member

Contributor I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mabe
Member #

Hey guys. With Covid going around and the state closing a lot, I was wondering if any of you North Carolinian Overlanders know where I could camp on or around trails? Looking to get out this weekend.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Not too much open in the eastern part of the state yet. Cape Lookout National Seashore is great with two islands to choose from and twenty miles of unspoiled beach on each but you really need to have three or more days to do it justice.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Just received my ORV beach permit for Cape Lookout ! Looking forward to doing some camping this summer. Anyone have any recommendations?
There are two sections of CALO that allow access to vehicles - Portsmouth Island (North Core Banks) and South Core. Morris Marina provides the vehicle ferry service to Portsmouth and Davis Shore or Cape Lookout Cabins and Camps will get you over to South Core. We've used and been satisfied with the service provided by any of the three. The cabins on PI are closed for the 2020 season due to damage inflicted by Hurricane Dorian but the bath house and restrooms just re-opened recently. Those on South Core were closed due to COVID but I think the bath house remained open. I'm not sure about potable water availability on either. Dorian also cut some new inlets and I think there's at least one that will keep you from going all the way north to the Village on Portsmouth. With things being so fluid, check with the ferry operators for current conditions. Ferry Services Portsmouth seems a little more 'remote' to me and I really enjoy the Village when you can get to it. South Core has the Lighthouse but I doubt its open for climbing, Both are awesome. Beer/Booze, bug spray and long tent stakes are strongly suggested.

Reactions: Wallygator

Mac'n4runner#1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
McEntee
Member #

There are two sections of CALO that allow access to vehicles - Portsmouth Island (North Core Banks) and South Core. Morris Marina provides the vehicle ferry service to Portsmouth and Davis Shore or Cape Lookout Cabins and Camps will get you over to South Core. We've used and been satisfied with the service provided by any of the three. The cabins on PI are closed for the 2020 season due to damage inflicted by Hurricane Dorian but the bath house and restrooms just re-opened recently. Those on South Core were closed due to COVID but I think the bath house remained open. I'm not sure about potable water availability on either. Dorian also cut some new inlets and I think there's at least one that will keep you from going all the way north to the Village on Portsmouth. With things being so fluid, check with the ferry operators for current conditions. Ferry Services Portsmouth seems a little more 'remote' to me and I really enjoy the Village when you can get to it. South Core has the Lighthouse but I doubt its open for climbing, Both are awesome. Beer/Booze, bug spray and long tent stakes are strongly suggested.
Thanks, going to try to check it out in the next few weekends, will have to contact ferry. Any recomendations where to launch kayaks? Well be tent camping, Hows the bugs and noseeums? Thanks for the info!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Thanks, going to try to check it out in the next few weekends, will have to contact ferry. Any recomendations where to launch kayaks? Well be tent camping, Hows the bugs and noseeums? Thanks for the info!
I haven't been since Dorian hit so your best bet on launch points would be to contact the staff when you arrive. The turtle/bird nesting exclusions will also play a part in where travel is permitted. For the last several years, there was a sound access spur off the back road on the southern end which led to a small beach. Great spot to hang out especially if you have kids - shallow warm water with minimal current but I don't know what the recent storms might have changed.

We've always set up camp a few miles north of the ferry landing. If you're in a ground tent, look for a cutout in the dune line so you'll have wind protection on at least two side, three is better. Don't pitch anything or park on the dunes. A screen room or EZ-UP is a good idea if you have one that can handle a stiff breeze,' Having a place to cook, get out of the sun and escape blowing sand or bugs is nice.

Mosquitoes and greenheads are the biggest bug problem. These are ferocious around the dunes and vegetation but there's usually a good wind coming off the ocean making the beach itself relatively bug free, Repellents with a high percentage of deet work well for me but I'm too old to worry about any future offspring glowing in the dark :grin:. Skin so Soft seems to be popular with the ladies in our group.

If you choose Portsmouth, tell Kari and Rick at the marina Al from Tarboro says 'Hi' and hopes to see them soon.