louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
there are several threads about defining "overlanding" and after this weekend...my definition of overlanding is "travel and camping as far from campgrounds as possible"

the wife and i started the traveling/camping thing right after we first met in 2018. we do a little bit of everything from desert camping in the back of the tundra to pulling our camp trailer into state parks and using it as a base camp. still being fairly new to this, our experiences with state parks have been generally in the off season where we have literally been the only campers in the area and in the case of spending a week at vogel state park in georgia during the month of january, we even had an entire heated bath house to ourselves.

this last weekend, brother-in-law invited us to go with them to buccaneer state park in waveland, ms (about 2 hrs away) just outside of bay st. louis. we havent gone anywhere in a while and although its peak season, we figured 'how bad could it be', and hitched up the camp trailer and on friday afternoon, headed thru the 5 oclock traffic taking I-10 thru new orleans and along the coast to our destination.

its been 100 degrees in the swamps and with all the rain and humidity, its pretty much a miserable sauna being outside. the campground is right on the gulf, so i immediately noticed the nice breeze as we got closer and i was feeing hopeful that the temps would be bearable and that the weekend just might end up being enjoyable even though we were in mississippi.

as soon as we entered the state park, we were greeted with swarms of unattended, very young children riding everything from motorized scooters, to bicycles and even some driving custom golf carts that they could barely see over the steering wheel. it was chaos. as we idled thru the swarm looking for our campsite, it soon became obvious that our site was dead center of the loudest and most crowded area. right across from us was a giant diesel pusher pulling an equally long trailer loaded with golf carts and junk. they had 5 giant dogs and and equal amount of kids. one of the giant dogs came over by us and immediately hunched over to produce a pile that would make an elephant blush. i looked up to see the owner actually scowl at me for noticing what his dog was doing. he obviously wasnt going to go pick it up and apparently i was "the bad guy" for witnessing it.

all i can say is that the rudeness and self-centeredness was on a level i never expected. i know theres no need to bitch and complain, and this past experience has just really solidified to me the reason people put in the extra time and money to be set up to be in remote areas, far away from this type of craziness.

we took our bikes and did some riding and ended up going into bay st. louis where the wife ended up meeting a local artist and bought some of her work and then we did some eating and drinking and mainly just sightseeing. it seemed like most of the folk in the campground just stayed there on their little plot cooking and drinking beer while their kids and dogs just ran loose all over. it seemed to be everyone in that area doing it, so apparently that is just an accepted thing. i was tripping out on how some folk will spend several $100,000 on giant motorhomes just to sit in a crowd and not go anywhere. and the people are so lazy that they have to have golf carts just to get get around in the campground.

a very interesting and a very weird experience....

Last edited:

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Our last several visits to State Park campgrounds were frustrating due to inconsiderate groups. Mostly carrying-on the party past midnight with music and drunken "Woo-Girls".
It's a damn shame too as most of North Carolina's State Parks are wonderfully maintained beautiful places that I'd love to stay for a while.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
my definition of overlanding is "travel and camping as far from campgrounds as possible"
"travel and camping as far from people as possible" - there, fixed that for you ;). I don't do campgrounds unless there is a very good reason to be there... Welcome to the club ;)
On our last WABDR, after struggling through the snow for hours, it was getting later in the day and we needed to find a camp. We noticed a campground ahead and decided to take a look. Wonder of wonders it was absolutely void of people so we set up shop. Bugs were bad and somebody else pulled into a spot hours after us - but goes to show that campgrounds in and of themselves are not evil ;)

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
"travel and camping as far from people as possible" - there, fixed that for you ;).

goes to show that campgrounds in and of themselves are not evil ;)
nice fix. :grinning:

yeah, and what else sucked was when i was seeing all the crazy behavior and thinking how bad mississippi was and then noticing that most of the license plates in the campground were louisiana. :expressionless:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The problem in the Southeast is you don't have many places that I know of where you can disperse camp.

Of course after typing that I did do a search on Google and found the link below, appears to be some!

Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Dispersed Camping

I guess the ticket for dispersed camping in the Southeast is National Forrest land, below is the National Forrests in Florida that allow it.

National Forests in Florida - Camping & Cabins:Dispersed Camping
yeah, there is pretty much zero here in louisiana. when i first moved here, i noticed how big "tailgating" was. so many people have $200,000+ rigs and go to the LSU stadium for games and set up in the parking lot. rigs all over with people cooking and drinking and watching the game on 100" plasma tv mounted under the RV awning while the actual game is being played in the stadium literally a few hundred yards away. these are also the rigs that go to the local campgrounds and set up all the cooking gear and pop outs and the people sit there all weekend under the awning drinking and watching tv and cooking jambalaya in 100 degree heat.

these huge rigs run off of a lot of power, so im not sure if these folk would disperse camp even if it was available to them. seems like most folk want to camp by pretty much bringing their house with them, so campgrounds are the only way to supply that kind of power and water.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

yeah, there is pretty much zero here in louisiana. when i first moved here, i noticed how big "tailgating" was. so many people have $200,000+ rigs and go to the LSU stadium for games and set up in the parking lot. rigs all over with people cooking and drinking and watching the game on 100" plasma tv mounted under the RV awning while the actual game is being played in the stadium literally a few hundred yards away. these are also the rigs that go to the local campgrounds and set up all the cooking gear and pop outs and the people sit there all weekend under the awning drinking and watching tv and cooking jambalaya in 100 degree heat.

these huge rigs run off of a lot of power, so im not sure if these folk would disperse camp even if it was available to them. seems like most folk want to camp by pretty much bringing their house with them, so campgrounds are the only way to supply that kind of power and water.
The "look at me - look at me" crowd.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have one of the huge diesel pushers, a well maintained but almost 18 year old rig, definatly not in the 100k plus crowd..lol We use it as a base camp / offifce so that we can take extra trips each year by combining work and play. We work hard to find off the beaten path campgrounds to camp in so that we can be close to the backcountry for exploring in with the Jeep when we are not working. We searched hard for a motorhome that was fully capable of being off grid (hard to find one with propane heat and appliances in a pusher) and as long as we can find dispersed camping off a fairly well maintained gravel road we will boondock if there is cell service for working. We can be off grid for about a week and two portable solar panels will keep it powered in the summer months. Its never as good as our regular trips with just one of the Jeeps and a tent, but better than not getting out at all in our book. We did stay in a busy campground just out of Missoula for a couple of days, and we were the only ones hanging around outside our RV, playing games at the picnic table and cooking outside, everyone else just sat in thier rigs watching TV with the AC on, some we never saw outside at all... not sure why they left thier house..lol

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

one of the giant dogs came over by us and immediately hunched over to produce a pile that would make an elephant blush. i looked up to see the owner actually scowl at me for noticing what his dog was doing. he obviously wasnt going to go pick it up and apparently i was "the bad guy" for witnessing it.
I would have collected that "land mine" and put it on the ground in front of the door to his rig.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
It's amazing how inconsiderate people are when camping in a campground a few feet from others. Loud music, cussing, staying up really late when there are people right next door. Campgrounds need to enforce the 'rules' more so everyone can enjoy the space. Again, the main reason to build a capable rig is to get away from crowds. But I know it's tough in much of the country where so.mucb land is private. We are a little spoiled in the west with the amount of BLM (the real BLM) land and dispersed camping...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The "look at me - look at me" crowd.
yeah, funny you said that. this is our set up and usually when we're out boondocking and in areas like that, people will pass by and give "the nod". at this campground, i was getting looks like i walked across their new carpet with dog shit on my shoes. weird vibe, but i get it. i was in my early 20's in new london, ct when i walked into a well known biker bar to get a beer and i was wearing dockers and a sweater. i got the same kind of looks back then...:grinning:

IMG_4264.jpg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
yeah, funny you said that. this is our set up and usually when we're out boondocking and in areas like that, people will pass by and give "the nod". at this campground, i was getting looks like i walked across their new carpet with dog shit on my shoes. weird vibe, but i get it. i was in my early 20's in new london, ct when i walked into a well known biker bar to get a beer and i was wearing dockers and a sweater. i got the same kind of looks back then...:grinning:

View attachment 235904
I have grown to like that look...it means we are having a good time and the general population just does not get it lol We get the look all the time, when we start yet another project in the driveway, pop up the tent in a massive storm, or in the weeds at the side of the highway searching for a geoache. Now I have to admit there have been times where I have been the biker raising an eybrow when a guy walks into a bar....

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I totally agree with avoiding major camp grounds.
The wife on the other hand is a people watcher, and would love to watch the shows.
We are fortunate to live in an area where we have thousands and thousands of acres of public land to remotely camp on.
We can head out for a week without restock, and see few if any people.

1658175285958.png

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

there are several threads about defining "overlanding" and after this weekend...my definition of overlanding is "travel and camping as far from campgrounds as possible"

the wife and i started the traveling/camping thing right after we first met in 2018. we do a little bit of everything from desert camping in the back of the tundra to pulling our camp trailer into state parks and using it as a base camp. still being fairly new to this, our experiences with state parks have been generally in the off season where we have literally been the only campers in the area and in the case of spending a week at vogel state park in georgia during the month of january, we even had an entire heated bath house to ourselves.

this last weekend, brother-in-law invited us to go with them to buccaneer state park in waveland, ms (about 2 hrs away) just outside of bay st. louis. we havent gone anywhere in a while and although its peak season, we figured 'how bad could it be', and hitched up the camp trailer and on friday afternoon, headed thru the 5 oclock traffic taking I-10 thru new orleans and along the coast to our destination.

its been 100 degrees in the swamps and with all the rain and humidity, its pretty much a miserable sauna being outside. the campground is right on the gulf, so i immediately noticed the nice breeze as we got closer and i was feeing hopeful that the temps would be bearable and that the weekend just might end up being enjoyable even though we were in mississippi.

as soon as we entered the state park, we were greeted with swarms of unattended, very young children riding everything from motorized scooters, to bicycles and even some driving custom golf carts that they could barely see over the steering wheel. it was chaos. as we idled thru the swarm looking for our campsite, it soon became obvious that our site was dead center of the loudest and most crowded area. right across from us was a giant diesel pusher pulling an equally long trailer loaded with golf carts and junk. they had 5 giant dogs and and equal amount of kids. one of the giant dogs came over by us and immediately hunched over to produce a pile that would make an elephant blush. i looked up to see the owner actually scowl at me for noticing what his dog was doing. he obviously wasnt going to go pick it up and apparently i was "the bad guy" for witnessing it.

all i can say is that the rudeness and self-centeredness was on a level i never expected. i know theres no need to bitch and complain, and this past experience has just really solidified to me the reason people put in the extra time and money to be set up to be in remote areas, far away from this type of craziness.

we took our bikes and did some riding and ended up going into bay st. louis where the wife ended up meeting a local artist and bought some of her work and then we did some eating and drinking and mainly just sightseeing. it seemed like most of the folk in the campground just stayed there on their little plot cooking and drinking beer while their kids and dogs just ran loose all over. it seemed to be everyone in that area doing it, so apparently that is just an accepted thing. i was tripping out on how some folk will spend several $100,000 on giant motorhomes just to sit in a crowd and not go anywhere. and the people are so lazy that they have to have golf carts just to get get around in the campground.

a very interesting and a very weird experience....
I find a lot of RV parks are like this. This is going to sound elitist AF... but we actually bought in a private RV park that only allowed DPs 10 years old or newer and had plenty of rules against all of ^^^^^^that behavior. It was populated by lets say 99% retired, wealthy folks. It was beautiful, quiet and lovely (and included 2 miles of waterway inside the park). But, we were the youngest there (I turned 40 this year, so I was in my late 30s when we had the spot... my wife is 5 years younger) and had a totally different, but equally unacceptable experience with *some* of the residents. There was a lot of snobbery towards us, and lots of speculation and judgement about why we were there. We weren't exactly in Cousin Eddie's Winnebago (2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018) but a lot of the park was filled with $1-3M+ Prevosts and Newells. Our needs changed, and we were kind of tired of it so we sold the spot, and later the big DP. We haven't not had an RV of some sort (to include 5th wheels and drive-ables) for over a decade (which is the entirety of the time we've been together) but we're kind of okay with it now. It seemed finding the right park that was somewhere between what you described, and what I described is very... very... very difficult. And with the Covid-buying-spree on RVs just getting a spot somewhere is next to impossible 90% of the time anyway. I get my camping fix with my FWC on my pickup, and we do our vacationing together with hotels or whatnot now. I expect we'll end up in another RV "someday" but RV parks will hopefully still be a rarity...

-TJ

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not all campgrounds are the same. Here at Mohican there's the state park, and a dozen different private owned campgrounds, real Indian teepees, and even a castle in the woods.

Some of those campgrounds are the "camp Alcatraz" type, more rules than fun. Some are wilderness silence type. Some are loud party campgrounds. One of my favorite State Parks has an uphill area for noisy campers with dogs and such.

But yeah, nola stinks. I found a few state parks on the ocean though, that were just unimproved grassy fields. Perfect boondocking right at the ocean. Worst thing that ever happened there was the smell of horse poo.

Kids on bikes and such, get a free pass from me.

joseluis.17g

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Gomez
Here in Mexico we don't have many RVs in our camping spots, but what we have are the SxS people, they have to have the loudest of exhust systems and blasting the biggest stereo system the could fit, thankfully most of them don't camp, but I get you, that's the main reason I have built truck, so I can get as far away from other people as possible

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I agree that it’s nuts that people plop down their rig - anything from the aforementioned monster rig to entire cities of huge tents - on a campsite and never leave except to restock ice and beer. Stay home and save the gas money!
The trick is to find a campground in an area where people are there to DO something - hike, bike, canyoneering, etc. They’re gone all day, come home tired, eat dinner and go to bed. I say this with confidence from my little teardrop trailer in Glacier National Park. By 10pm, this place is pretty quiet. I find that back east and in the Midwest, there’s much more partying and much less physical exertion in parks. Campgrounds with less amenities (electric, water/sewer hookups, playgrounds, pools) are generally quieter and less chaotic, as they don’t attract the same element.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
A friend planned a camping trip on a lake for the 4th of July weekend. Camp ground itself was great. But the other campers were terrible. Partying until the early morning, generators firing up throughout the night, loud music, etc.

a friend complained to the staff and they said they have a security guard who patrols, But Obviously he wasnt doing his job. It’s too bad there’s no more camping etiquette, which just reassures me why I always prefer to dispersed camp instead of use camp grounds.