Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I started with white gas. For Car use ran a 2 burner Colman for a while, converted to propane. My wife gave me a century 2 burner and used it for 20 years, The regular got a hole it, it was due for replacement, the nobs had been replaced/fixed, grease shield was dented. Replaced with a Everest Lasted 5 trips, the pipe from burner 1 to burner 2 broke at burner 2 valve.
I purchased a Partner, thing is the best stove on the market. Nobs are protected, over built case. NOT CHEAP. I will be passing it down.

Reactions: utspoolup

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Another old Coleman white gas user here. They just work.

I have several of them. It's hard to decide which one to take on any given trip. I try to pick whichever one has been sitting the longest without being used. I wouldn't want them to feel neglected.

Reactions: Lumpy

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I've been cooking on a cheap 2-burner Coleman for 26 years. We have a small, refillable, 11-pound propane tank that feeds it.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I love it, it’s well worth it specially for the one I got which is the base camp 2. It’s very compact, and as for wind conditions, it comes with a wind screen it’s awesome. I used it the other day up in the mountains, very windy that day and I was able to cook eggs and bacon for me and my 2 friends easily.
Holy moly $349 on Amazon.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have this Camp Chef for camping. For overlanding I would like to find something smaller -
But the cool thing is that this stove accepts different accessories for grilling and 60k BTU.

HaulBack

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ireland, Dublin
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Did you consider the Camp Chef Tahoe 3 Burner Stove?
The Camp Chef Tahoe is going to be your best choice if you’re cooking for a group. No matter how many people you’re camping with, this stove can handle it. This stove has three 30,000 BTU burners and 608 square inches of cooking area. The heat-control dials are fully adjustable and the burner housing limits cold and hot spots while also allowing for extra wind protection.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Get a Partner Steel Stove. They are the best built, the nobs are protected, heavy walls. Pretty much bomb proof.

I have this Camp Chef for camping. For overlanding I would like to find something smaller -
But the cool thing is that this stove accepts different accessories for grilling and 60k BTU.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Now that I have the stove and the griddle from partner steel, I’m finding the griddle sticks to e Rey thing I cook, even greased up? Anyone else have this issue? Fix??

Lumpy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lutz, Florida, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Primm
Member #

I use a Coleman 414 duel fuel 2-burner from the early 1990's. Mostly use it with white gas, but have used it many times with gasoline. Got tired of carrying around the green gas bottles or the big propone bottles. But I do tend to keep things as simple as I can........

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'm looking at this little guy for quick trips. Uses Propane or Butane. Supposedly can do 15k BTU.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Have you tried to season it? look up seasoning cast iron or carbon steel . It take a bit of time but works very well.

Now that I have the stove and the griddle from partner steel, I’m finding the griddle sticks to e Rey thing I cook, even greased up? Anyone else have this issue? Fix??

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I feel like a few more questions are valuable when trying to buy a stove, because I've spent a ton of money on stoves over the years and always found situations where they didn't work.

First thing to consider is where are you using the stove?

If you do not plan on high altitude, with a focus on North America, then any propane stove will work. However, if you plan on travelling outside North America, you'll want to be sure that you can get propane at your chosen destination. I understand big bottles can be filled in a lot of places these days, but it's not nearly as common outside NA; we are used to every gas station having a propane cage but that's not the case elsewhere. Isobutane is a better option internationally if there are name-brand camping stores (these are the little tins favoured by JetBoil). The are also small, last a long time, and it's conceivable you can bring enough for your whole journey if it's only a month or less. But the only fuel you can absolutely get everywhere in the world is Diesel/Unleaded Gas, so a stove that works on that fuel might be your best choice if you plan on longer term international trips.

Second thing to consider is when will I be using it? Or more specifically, will you be using it in cold weather. If you are, then propane and isobutane (even the Winter mix) are not going to be very effective.

Third thing is: How much space/weight do I have for this thing? If you are Overlanding in a 2 door TJ for example, maybe you don't have a ton of space/payload to spare on a bigger two burner stove, in which case something small might be preferred.

In other words -- buy the best stove for your use case; do not buy a stove because it's used by a ton of other people unless they also have a similar use case to yours. To generalize a few use cases:

If you need something small and light, that will work in the cold and in high altitude, everywhere in the world, check out the MSR Whisperlight International. It can run on white gas, Kero, unleaded gas, isobutane, and more just by swapping the jets, which are all included. However, it's only one burner. But, given it can work anywhere and it's small, it's great for people who want a compact stove that is lightweight and can fit into a tiny part of your chuck box. I'd say this is the perfect solution if all you are doing is boil-in-bag, morning coffee, oatmeal, and other basic meals, with the occasional meal over the fire for special occasions.

If internationality isn't a problem, and you are primarily a low altitude/warm weather overlander, but you still want something that is small and compact, check out the MSR Pocket Rocket or the Jetboil system. Both are excellent.

If you need something that will work in the cold and high altitude, everywhere in the world, it's hard to beat the Coleman 425 (it's what we have settled on). It'll run on gas, kero, diesel, and many other types of liquid fuels. And, with a generator adapter, you can run them off Propane too. With the 425, we only need to bring one fuel type for everything -- the same gas that runs the truck and motorbike also runs our stove.

If you are needing a two burner, are OK with propane, then it's hard to beat the Partner stove quality, but it's easy to beat the Partner value for money with a Coleman propane stove or the Campchef Everest which has been highly recommended. Basically, comparing propane stoves comes down to wind deflection, BTUs of the burner, and overall build quality.