Camp Stove | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Camp Stove

Discussion in 'Kitchen, Cooking, and Recipes' started by Caligirlnic, Jan 4, 2019.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Caligirlnic

Caligirlnic Rank I

Map
    Im currently looking to replace my stove. I have a Coleman Triton and Ive been looking at the Coleman Fryecadet and Sergeant but all reviews of both says that it burns too hot and even on low it burns hot and hard to regulate. Not looking to spend more than $200. Suggestions please!!

2. NovaBound

NovaBound Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Love my Camp Chef Everest!

Jason3Gun and Gary Stevens like this.
  3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    We use a Camp Chef two burner blind stove.

E16F6172-76D4-4362-829E-78FD53DD220F.jpeg

12poundtest likes this.
  4. A-Aron

A-Aron Rank II

Member #:

Map
    I love my camp chef mountaineer.. all aluminum design, super light, and fits large pots and pans with ease. 40k btu output, can't be beat

5. ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon Rank III

we use Camp Chef Everest
    007.JPG

6. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    My vote for the Everest also. Been through Colemans small and large. This is the right size, weight, and most important flame output BTU that will work in windy conditions. Solid build also.

RainGoat likes this.
  7. Caligirlnic

Caligirlnic Rank I

Map
    Can you use the 1lb propane canisters with this? I assume there is no case for it?

8. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Yes, it comes with a standard 1 lb mount, and there is an optional soft hose connect that will use the 1lb or larger canisters.

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    No on both counts. I bought a Camp Chef case for a different model. It stores a bunch of gear along with the stove. A 1 lb bottle would be possible with an adapter, I would imagine.

Caligirlnic likes this.
  10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    Mine came with the hose.... let me go check.

11. Caligirlnic

Caligirlnic Rank I

Map
    Thats important to us, being able to use in in somewhat windy conditions.

12. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    Personally, if my stove didn’t work so well, I’d buy the Moutaineer by Camp Chef. @A-Aron has a darn good stove.

A-Aron likes this.
  13. A-Aron

A-Aron Rank II

Member #:

Map
    It is nice! Handles the wind quite well. Self lighting option is decent but only works about 75% of the time, but it's not electronic. Has double the BTU output of the Partner stove, and it is easy to clean. Just watch for sharp edges.

RainGoat likes this.
  14. Overland California

Member #:

Map
  15. OutOfStep

OutOfStep Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Jetboil genesis base camp 2
    IMG_9967.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG

Graeman and Jimmy P like this.
  16. CSG

CSG Rank 0

Map
    OP, why do you want to replace your Triton? What doesn't it do that you want or need? I've got the previous version of this stove and feel it does everything well. However, most of my camp cooking is heating water for coffee or the occasional Mountain House if I want a hot meal. My van has a two burner stove but I usually just use a little single isobutane burner. In my LX, I carry the MSR Superfly.

When I do actually cook, more often than not it's breakfast. I like the baguette, cheese, wine thing for dinner on my little outings. Also a fan of the sandwich, especially in the van where I've got a little fridge to hold chicken salad, turkey, etc. I know food is important for a lot of campers and a big production is part of the experience for many but after so many years of doing this, the simpler and easier, the better, IMO. I should add, the main reason is I don't want to clean up any more than I have to.

17. Ragman

Ragman Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I remain a white gas fan from my earliest days. I use a Coleman two burner stove I bought new 25 years ago. Replace the generator for the first time this year and runs like a champ. Doesn't look brand new by any means but would not hesitate to take it anywhere. I also have a MSR Whisperlite that is of the same vintage and have only replaced one o-ring, a single burner Coleman and a small bottle top propane stove. The ease of repair and all weather performance make these my go to, never change stoves.

Also same bottle of fuel powers my lanterns and there is very little to throw away when the fuel bottle is empty.

TerryD likes this.
  18. toxicity_27

toxicity_27 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    I've got a generic Coleman. It doesn't regulate the best but a quick look at the flame and it's fine.

19. Cpol

Cpol Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    DA0BF4D8-A9B7-4F67-9659-9CE8410FB684.jpeg 2FFAD69D-8B2C-4232-B33E-1D61257FCAD4.jpeg
    Wood and gas

utspoolup and Jimmy P like this.
  20. utspoolup

utspoolup Rank V
    Founder 500 Member

Member #:

Map
    Call me stupid, but what stove is this? Didnt see it referenced, but Im interested. Thanks.

to the OP. I have a few, well more than a few coleman dual fuel stoves, pick them up at the end of summer from local classifieds for good prices. They make a propane adapter for it which works good. I also own a camp chef evererst, a skottle, and a 22" partner. The partner is my favorite by a good amount. Solid, well built, recessed knobs to prevent damage in the back of the rig. Pricey, yes, add the stand/ block off plate and propane adapter it really adds up. But they are solid stoves, I know river rats that have owned theirs for over a decade and is still going strong.