Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Minnesota
First Name
Nigel
Last Name
Naughton
Member #

You don't need anything fancy to make a good meal. What are you using to transport food? A portable fridge or cooler? Have you seen Marco's cookbook. It's called The Overland Cook. Lots of good ideas.

astonestanley

Rank I

Member I

Mid Missouri
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

You don't need anything fancy to make a good meal. What are you using to transport food? A portable fridge or cooler? Have you seen Marco's cookbook. It's called The Overland Cook. Lots of good ideas.
I have a cooler and no I haven’t seen it I will check it out though !

Reactions: nigelsiam

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Reactions: Desert Runner

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
Whatever you're capable of cooking normally, should have no problem cooking out on the trail.

Main things to keep in mind are the cookware you'll need, what your camp stove can handle (can you do two pots/pans at once? Or just one?), and what kind of food you can bring/store.

There's a surprising amount of stuff you can put together with a small handful of pots/pans and a simple stove though.

Do you cook at home already? Do you have foods you already like to make?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you cook at home on a stove you can cook it on a trail. Most people limit what they think they can cook because of being on the trail,
I have served Maine lobster in the middle of the desert with banana splits for dessert. (3 day trip) Fried a turkey 4 hours south of the boarder. All it takes is planning. if you are weekending you can prep ahead of time. When you out for a while, it just some time to prep, add a grill and the sky is the limit.

Reactions: Broke and 64Trvlr

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use a dual burner propane stove which I put a cast iron griddle on. If I can't cook it on a cast iron griddle I probably dont' care to eat it. Pretty versatile for cooking nealry everything but soup lol.

nigelsiam

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Minnesota
First Name
Nigel
Last Name
Naughton
Member #

It all depends on the food you're able to carry with you. Are you going to have a fridge? A cooler? I would definitely suggest a fridge and you can find some great, inexpensive models on Amazon. Does not have to be the ubiquitous dometic. When you can carry perishable food then the cooking options are unlimited.

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

I’m just getting into overlanding and I have a plain camp stove wondering what you guys cook some ideas recipes anything

Rachel and I try to keep it really simple. We use a cooler, 2 burner stove, and a jet boil with French press for coffee and to boil water for freeze dried food. We carry a cast iron griddle that we cook most everything on.

Our go-to for lunch is sandwiches or wraps. Breakfast is usually a breakfast sandwich or breakfast burrito with eggs, cheese, and veggie sausage. Dinners are usually a freeze dried meal or if we cook, we’ll do a burger or tacos.

Spaghetti is really easy if you prepare your sauce ahead of time, so is chili. But those can require more cleanup.

Reactions: Wisewanderer

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The only limiting factor is your ability to moderate and maintain temperature.

Wind is your primary enemy in this endeavor, immediately followed by the low thermal mass of "camp" cookware. Both can be addressed.

You don't have to be off grid to practice with what you have. Personally, efficient preparation of hot water is the lowest common denominator, and for me Jetboil is the cats ass where hot water is concerned. With freeze drieds hot water means you're going to eat and enjoy at least a minimum level of comfort. From there "cooking" is such a broad term that almost anyone could write a book. Everybody focuses on success when in fact failure provides the most effective teaching moments.

Reactions: nigelsiam and Downs

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
one pot meals are nice...
i'll use a base such as rice, mac and cheese, Knorrs rice/noodle packs, etc and after cooking that, add chilli, beans, rotel, etc and eat as a casserole or use rice, beans, meat as a filler for a burrito. lots of options that are quick and easy and only dirty one pot.
i'll use SPAM sometimes, so i'll fry that in a pot and then set aside in a bowl and cook my other stuff and then add it at the end.
i like eating this way even if i'm camping with our camp trailer with slide out galley and 2 burner stove and like it even better when we are truck camping, i can still make great stuff with my single burner stove and only one pot for the wife to clean.

i can fry bacon or SPAM for breakfast and use the drippings to fry eggs in and then slice tomato and avacado and have a nice breakfast sandwich. on one trip, i took oil and filled the pot half way and used the oil to fry potatoes and then used the pot (without oil) to fry a hamburger patty. two burners and a pot and pan can do the job faster and accomodate more people if needs be

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelsiam and Downs

mikeD1Esel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oahu, Hawaii
First Name
Michael
Last Name
DeSerio
I use cast iron to cook in, and so far I love using it. I need to find a good pot to boil in, but other than that I love the two burner setup. I carry a 45qt pelican cooler now full with food.

I cooked eggs, sausage, and potatoes our last trip out. It's tedious cooking for 5 people. Once I get back to the mainland and can take solo trips I'm excited to see what I can cook up.

Reactions: Virginiawilderness

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I like using my pressure cooker. I make Coq au Vin, Boeuf Bourguignon, beef stew, chili using the pressure system. Easy one pot meals.