Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Camper security.....indeed.
Tac 13 loaded with #4 buckshot.
All secure.
View attachment 97029
Have you had any problems with malfunctions with this set up? Heard they are high brass or no brass weapons! The shock wave is a fun shotty to drive around in cqb conditions. Ive never been a fan of the shotgun for SD/HD. I know the pattern at 6 to 10 yrds is pretty tight but like knowing exactly what that round will do and where it goes. They are good at making a canoe rack!

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Have you had any problems with malfunctions with this set up? Heard they are high brass or no brass weapons! The shock wave is a fun shotty to drive around in cqb conditions. Ive never been a fan of the shotgun for SD/HD. I know the pattern at 6 to 10 yrds is pretty tight but like knowing exactly what that round will do and where it goes. They are good at making a canoe rack!
None, zero issues, it eats anything we feed it, and is extremely reliable. What you have “heard” I have not experienced at all.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Hello!

We are looking at options for motion sensors/alarms that would alert us if something (bear, dog, sloth...[emoji23]) someone was approaching the tents between ours and our kids camping on our other Jeep.

Any recommendations on something you’ve used that has worked out?

Thanks!
Fishing bell and 550 cord will give you early warning. I blutoothed my SPOD to my phone so I can turn on all of the truck's exterior lighting at once if it rings in the night.

Low tech but works. You could also tie in a bear popper too.

Last edited:

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

We use LED lights with sensors and an optional buzzer (for wildlife), I can't find the brand (Lumeno) in the US it seems but it's similar to this this. We rarely use the buzzer though as that could become very annoying with false alarms. We always have an air horn and large pepper spray on hand as well. I'm no bear expert obviously but it works just fine for lions and hyenas :wink:. Goes without saying that we also try not to attact wildlife in the first place by securing food and garbage.

Intruders of the human kind is a whole different discussion but the light/buzzer sensor works for early warning here as well.

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

Dogs are a great deterrent to would be thieves and will let you know if bears are around. I would also say if you plan to leave camp set up a couple of well placed game cameras can help catch a thief who tries to take your stuff. The would give you an idea of the time and the direction they went along with vehicle picture (if that is how they arrived).

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

I modified 90db magnetic alarms to serve as tripwire alarms. 8 usually covers a large area. coupled with 60 pound test ice fishing line and coffee cup hooks to string multiple trees with each one can give you a large perimeter. On the downside, a false alarm can ruin your night. I agree with motion lights. For true security there's really nothing better than a well trained dog or a rotating shift fire watch. The more people you take with you, the safer you are, assuming you trust the people you bring.

Reactions: kingofthehill29

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
There is the cheap driveway/walkway passive alerts that are motion activated. Cheap at harborfrieght. The downside is that the sensor is wide, thus false alarms can be more easily triggered. Putting the sensor in a position where it is blocked on the sides helps focus the beam into a narrow field. They are battery powered also so are portable.

Another option[emoji2] besides a firearm. Of course there is the old firebase....string and can method....In the wire.

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Harbor Freight sells Driveway sensors. You can find them on sale for about $15 and it sounds kind of like a doorbell when it is set off. They work off of an infrared light. Only thing is, how many do you need?