Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Just came along an advertisement about a foldable saw and thought it would be a great thread.

What type of saw are youse using? For firewood and maybe trees as an obstacle.

I am using the TrailBlazer 18“ take down buck saw which’s performance is superb and the specs are unbeatable.

Give me your thought

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Well, tools are a very individual topic and everyone has their own preferences. It's the same with saws. I recently had the opportunity to try out many different axes and saws in practice for a test report. This shows what really works and what does not.

Tools are not simply tools, but for many people they also have something to do with look and feel, and perhaps even with the smell when unpacked. Criteria that seem important to me for saws for overlanders are:
  • Definition of the field of application. I guess here it's not about cutting a track free for miles, but rather the occasional use for making wood for the campfire or sometimes to remove a cross lying branch. For larger actions, I would always prefer a chainsaw. But let's stick to small, handy, hand saws.
  • Handling and ergonomics. Both are important for tools. How well and securely does the saw fits in the hand? How ergonomic and non-slip is the handle of the saw? These are important features that make it possible to work with it with pleasure and without fatigue. This also includes details such as any folding mechanism on saws, protective covers and so on.
  • Quality of workmanship. This is (at least for me) a very important point. Does the tool make a high-quality impression, so that it promises long enjoyment? Is the quality so high that it is safe to use? Can I rely on it while on the road? What materials were used and do these speak for longevity? Only time will tell how the tools perform in the long run. But here, too, first impressions often count.
  • Pack size and weight. These are two important points for us travelers. After all, a rig that is too heavily loaded will only cause problems out on the trail. We all know that. Storage space is often limited in a 4x4 anyway. On the other hand of course, we have to take into account that some tools need a certain weight to function reasonably.
  • Other factors, such as the color scheme or the materials used must also be taken into consideration from my point of view. For example, the color scheme of a piece of equipment can contribute to its retrievability (especially tools which may be put on the ground in the forest and so on). Likewise, there are wooden shafts and handles or those made of fiber-reinforced plastics, which can offer safety but - depending on the eye of the owner - may not be a visual treat.
  • And last but not least, how does the tool perform in practice. Because of course it should work well.
For example, I have been using a small collapsible handsaw from Fiskars for years. The operating principle of it is simple. The blade is extended similar to a cutter knife and then locked. It has quite coarse toothing and thus effortlessly enables a clean and relatively wide cut even on damp or fresh wood. Even thicker branches can be quickly sawed with the about 15cm/ 6inch long blade. I see a very big advantage of this saw is its small pack size. When not in use an effective cut protection is provided by the fiber-reinforced handle. Similar to other Fiskars tools, this saw has a some bright orange color elements so that it is easy to find again on forest floor or similar. Weight is only about 100 grams and has an ultra-compact pack size.

I also really like the Boreal saws that are available here in the OB store. Since you get quite a large saw and yet it is foldable by the folding mechanism which makes a small packsize. However, I have never tried these in practice. Since I would be happy if somebody who has this saw in use could write about it.

Looking forward to further share ideas and experiences on this interesting topic.

Bjoern

Last edited:

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
What a great summery. You named all of the factors that the user has to consider. And for sure at the end of the day it is availability and personal preference.

Sometimes there are some option that haven’t been on the board for some reason.

Reactions: El-Dracho

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I had started with a few large foldable hand saws. The first came from my backpacking days in CO, a Silky Gomboy Curve 300mm, it has an 11.8” blade. It works well for 2-5” logs, it can handle 6-10” logs, but a lot of work & time. I’ll leave it up to your conditioning with that one.

When I moved to WA I upgraded after my first trip to Mt Hood Oregon, to a Silky Professional BIG BOY 360mm. There’s big timber out there. The trails are well kept, so I haven’t used it to clear fallen trees, firewood only. Cutting and then splitting 6-12/14” logs are no joke, but make for great fires. The ergonomics are wonderful and it folds away into nothing, the blade is 14” long and cuts well, fast and easy compared to the Gomboy. But my hands and forearms still feel it as I am not someone that uses a saw in my everyday routine. So I do use gloves to avoid cuts, calluses and for assured grip in wet weather.

After a few more trips up towards Mt Adams and one in Leavenworth, WA where I saw a local using a small chainsaw, I went to Home Depot and found an electric, cordless, 10” Makita chain saw. The heavens shined upon me as I use their drills and it takes the same battery, so I didn’t have to purchase the charger and battery; which are costly if you need to purchase them. And now I carry that thing EVERYWHERE. It uses little oil, I can bring two batteries that last me, I don’t even know how long, I’ve never run them both out. I bring my charger and plug it into my 4Runners 120V AC outlet, charging one at a time. I’ve cut through 5 or 6 4-6” trees in the Gifford Pinchot Nat For. and I’ll never go back to hand tools unless needed.

Call it what you will, since I have young kids with me and am typically out by myself “Work Smarter Not Harder” is the motto. And that saw is a blessing; it fits behind my seat, in my case on the roof rack, on the roof rack bungee’d for quick access. Spare chains, oil, battery and charger all fit with other gear depending on my layout. I can’t recommend it enough.

My $.02. Stay safe and have fun out there!

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

After a few more trips up towards Mt Adams and one in Leavenworth, WA where I saw a local using a small chainsaw, I went to Home Depot and found an electric, cordless, 10” Makita chain saw. The heavens shined upon me as I use their drills and it takes the same battery, so I didn’t have to purchase the charger and battery; which are costly if you need to purchase them. And now I carry that thing EVERYWHERE. It uses little oil, I can bring two batteries that last me, I don’t even know how long, I’ve never run them both out. I bring my charger and plug it into my 4Runners 120V AC outlet, charging one at a time. I’ve cut through 5 or 6 4-6” trees in the Gifford Pinchot Nat For. and I’ll never go back to hand tools unless needed.

Call it what you will, since I have young kids with me and am typically out by myself “Work Smarter Not Harder” is the motto. And that saw is a blessing; it fits behind my seat, in my case on the roof rack, on the roof rack bungee’d for quick access. Spare chains, oil, battery and charger all fit with other gear depending on my layout. I can’t recommend it enough.

You have to use a foldable handsaw or it isn't overlanding!! :tearsofjoy:

Actually, I plan on buying an electric chainsaw before I start on the TAT. I was looking at the DeWalt, but I'll check out the Makita, too.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

You have to use a foldable handsaw or it isn't overlanding!! :tearsofjoy:

Actually, I plan on buying an electric chainsaw before I start on the TAT. I was looking at the DeWalt, but I'll check out the Makita, too.
Hahahahaha!!!! Trust me I felt like that too. Then I said “well I don’t have a fridge in my car, so I’m good!!” Lol

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Svensaw. Works well, and packs down to nothing.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great, a good exchange of experiences here! That is very helpful.

The mentioned electric chainsaws have of course clearly a number of advantages. I can see that too. However, you also get similar challenges with them as you do with other battery powered equipment. In order for me to have some reliability, I need a second battery. Similar to a camera. One is in the device, ready to use or in use, and one is on the charger, ready for a smooth change when the other is empty. And of course also a gasoline powered chainsaw is heavy and requires various accessories and fluids whi h add extra weight. And so that means more equipment and weight, which I would also have to transport. A chainsaw I see therefore rather in the area of trophy, competition or expedition.

I am curious about other ideas and experiences about this.

Bjoern

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
When i had my full sized truck and space was less of an issue I found great success in just slapping a 12 or 16inch wood/ pruning blade in my Reciprocating saw.
The investment cost all of 10 bucks for the blade, as i already had plenty of batteries and the tool laying around.
I liked that it wasn't a one use piece of gear, and that I already had the gear I needed to charge it on my rig and had extra batteries kicking around too.

If you prefer acoustic, I also have found the medium to large silky saws work well, better if you learn the proper technique
and the boreal from our Canandian friends does a good job too!

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Great, a good exchange of experiences here! That is very helpful.

The mentioned electric chainsaws have of course clearly a number of advantages. I can see that too. However, you also get similar challenges with them as you do with other battery powered equipment. In order for me to have some reliability, I need a second battery. Similar to a camera. One is in the device, ready to use or in use, and one is on the charger, ready for a smooth change when the other is empty. And of course also a gasoline powered chainsaw is heavy and requires various accessories and fluids whi h add extra weight. And so that means more equipment and weight, which I would also have to transport. A chainsaw I see therefore rather in the area of trophy, competition or expedition.

I am curious about other ideas and experiences about this.

Bjoern
Agreed. I charge my 2nd battery while parked any chance I get while the #1 is in the saw and vice versa. I have a few larger STIHL gas chainsaws and brought it once and never again. It was a disaster. I had the oil and the extra fuel, extra chain and tightening tool all in one box and after a day on the trail the oil got everywhere and some of the fuel did too. Both caps loosened or bent enough, no idea, for liquid to escape. Made a mess. Haven’t had the same problem with the electric. If I went up to Canada or Alaska I’d def bring the gas saw, but would definitely find a better way to store/transport it and it’s supplies. Another thread I saw had some good input about traveling with a gas saw. My electric saw goes with me like my shovel, gas and spare do.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
I grew up with gas powered chainsaws. I have 3 of them but it looks like electric is the way of the future. Especially for overlanding when we don’t need a chainsaw on a daily basis.
Electric ones. That sound I retesting. Thanks for bringing up that suggestion.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

When i had my full sized truck and space was less of an issue I found great success in just slapping a 12 or 16inch wood/ pruning blade in my Reciprocating saw.
The investment cost all of 10 bucks for the blade, as i already had plenty of batteries and the tool laying around.
I liked that it wasn't a one use piece of gear, and that I already had the gear I needed to charge it on my rig and had extra batteries kicking around too.

If you prefer acoustic, I also have found the medium to large silky saws work well, better if you learn the proper technique
and the boreal from our Canandian friends does a good job too!

I'm considering that option also, about 6 years ago my neighbor had some trees slide into his roof, I found it easier to cut them with my corded recip saw than using the gas chainsaw. With the ability to cut both wood and metal a cordless recip is a good tool to bring. I just have to figure out which one.......

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I make these bow saws, I carry one of these with me. They will wear out a 4 to 6" log, right through it! This is one I made my brother a couple of years ago for xmas. Might be my nicest one yet
.KIMG1782.JPG
I have also been known to just bring my small chainsaw when I am staying local.

Reactions: genocache

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

My favorite saw for travel is the Bob Dustrude Quick Bucksaw which I have used for a number of years. Still build in MN by a family company started by a WW2 veteran and has been a staple for the canoe community for a very long time. Many similar out there now (including on OB Store) but I like the original- Replacement blades are easy to come by unlike some of the other designs. I also hear great things about the Silky brand but have never used one.

SixOverland

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WD6IQX
Service Branch
Army [ABN] 01-05
My favorite saw for travel is the Bob Dustrude Quick Bucksaw which I have used for a number of years. Still build in MN by a family company started by a WW2 veteran and has been a staple for the canoe community for a very long time. Many similar out there now (including on OB Store) but I like the original- Replacement blades are easy to come by unlike some of the other designs. I also hear great things about the Silky brand but have never used one.

We use a Silky Gomboy 240 and swear by it. I’m sure there are other excellent blade manufacturers and I can’t compare. But I will say this thing slices through wood with virtually no effort. I mean there’s always a little effort, but with this one the blade literally does all the work... you just have to move it.

Attachments

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

What do those with electric chain saws recommend for length? I'm looking at a 12" or 16" model. $100 difference in cost. Don't want to pay for more than I'll realistically need. New to all this so don't have much background to pull from.

Reactions: grubworm and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What do those with electric chain saws recommend for length? I'm looking at a 12" or 16" model. $100 difference in cost. Don't want to pay for more than I'll realistically need. New to all this so don't have much background to pull from.
Milwaukee M18 chainsaw, only one bar length I believe. Have a couple of larger batteries. It works well for any camp chore or trail clearing that I have done.