Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Lol, thats why they put 4 burner stoves in homes right? I've gotten in more trouble with gear in the house then I care to count lol. Apparently my wife "The Boss" also does not appreciate when I setup tents in the living room to carefully vacuum, wipe down and inspect after a trip lolol.
Carry the vacuuming and wiping on to the rest of the living room.. maybe that'll soften her up? :grin:

Reactions: GrizzCamp

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jeff Graham

Those GoSun's look really sweet. Mind if I ask a few questions?

How long does your GoSun take to bake those pizza rolls?
What kind of temps and conditions are needed. Is it like a crocpot or do you have to keep an eye on it and fiddle with it to keep it working as the sun goes overhead?
Is it a pain to clean?

Boort

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Q: How long does your GoSun take to bake those pizza rolls?
A: If I have full sun, it heats up very fast. Take your home oven baking time, and add 25% more time. This is just a rule of thumb, but I think it accurate. For the Pizza rolls, cooking time is about 45Minutes, fully loaded.

Q: What kind of temps and conditions are needed.
A: In my experience outside Temperature doesn’t affect the GoSun. I use it year around. Full sun seems to work best, but partial sun will work, it just increases cooking time a bit.

Q: is it like a crocpot or do you have to keep an eye on it and fiddle with it to keep it working as the sun goes overhead?
A: Once you get it loaded up, you orient it to the sun. Since cook times aren’t really long, I normally don’t bother to make any changes, until I start to see if the food is finished cooking.

Q: Is it a pain to clean?
A: All your food loads on a long tray. I clean this after each meal. I normally only clean the vacuum tube after I get home. Even this isn’t hard to clean, the cooking trey has a scrubby that attaches.

I hope this answered your questions.

Reactions: GrizzCamp and Boort

Ingvarhh

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ålvundeid, Norge
Member #

Reactions: TerryD

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Pizza is a frequently requested item when camping with the kids.

I use a camp dutch oven, which we already have because we do much of our cooking in it.

I place a trivet down, then put the dutch oven lid upside down on the trivet. The pizza goes on the inside of the lid, and the "pot" of the dutch oven goes on top. I place coals (briquettes or wood) on top, with a few under- to "bake" the pizza.

Works best pre-heated.

We also do cookies this way.

Anyone do pizza at camp? I know a wood-fired oven is the traditional cooking method, but given we aren't hauling in a ton of bricks, that doesn't work for overlanding. What methods do you have? I feel like this would be a good, hearty meal on the go, but not sure on the execution...

Reactions: Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

We do pizza in our 14" Dutch oven. I tried real dough but it was finicky so now we use the pre made crusts. Bobeli? Anyway now we just use a few coals under for the crust and lots on top and it works out nicely. I like the personal size crusts to easily get the pizzas out of the oven, though the upside down oven method would work well too. It's quick and easy without ending up with under cooked dough. With more practice it could be mastered, but as much as I like cooking, I don't like spending all of my time doing it. I did make decent calzones in the Dutch oven with pilsbury pizza dough, but again it was a little finicky. The Coleman oven I had was cool, but I moved it on. I've been looking at the camp chef oven/stove unit that is super cool looking but bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk