First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Has anybody else fell into this hobby?

First, Yes, I have a very capable '98 XR600R, but I don't always feel like loading up my big thumper for the weekend just to explore some single track trails around the camp.
These Mini Bikes look like a blast, plus they are less than half the weight of my XR, which will make transporting it to and from BLM camp spots so much easier.
With this in mind, and a sale to be had (plus 10% off code) I pulled the pin on this one,
1668546169748.png
Thoughts?

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve been thinking about a little bike to do the same. I haven’t decided how I’d transport it thought.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I’ve been thinking about a little bike to do the same. I haven’t decided how I’d transport it thought.
I plan to throw it in the back of the truck most trips. When the International is done I will use the motorcycle carrier in the rear hitch receiver. Will probably modify it a bit to narrow it. Never liked it with my XR just cause of the weight of the bike (275#).

Reactions: Sparksalot

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have an old OMC 108 engine from a generator that I have thought about overhauling and building a frame for. I really like the idea of a mini bike.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Back in the 60s-70s my grandparents had mini bikes called Toat Goats. At the time we lived in California and they road those things all over the place. Lots of fun.
I am sure you will really enjoy that bike.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Back in the 60s-70s my grandparents had mini bikes called Toat Goats. At the time we lived in California and they road those things all over the place. Lots of fun.
Yep a tote goat is exactly what I’m thinking.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have an old OMC 108 engine from a generator that I have thought about overhauling and building a frame for. I really like the idea of a mini bike.
You should do it! Would be an awesome winter project!

Reactions: Dilldog

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So cool! I love that they were 2 seaters!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
At 6'4" tall and about 245 pounds minibikes aren't something that work too well for me!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I was at the Juniper dunes earlier this year and there was a Gambler 500 event going on, lots of mini bikes running around. Since then I've been eyeing the cheap Coleman ones they sell at Sportsman's Warehouse. Seem like they'd be a ton of fun to cruise around on. I do like that the one you got has front suspension, is there some performance upgrades done to the motor also? For the price it looks like a better unit then some of the ones I've been checking out.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You should do it! Would be an awesome winter project!
The coolest thing about the OMC 108s and 118s is they take a lot of deisgn ques from air cooled radial aero engines, so they do not utilize a seperate cylinder head, and the bottom end is very stout... do you see where I'm going with this?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I was at the Juniper dunes earlier this year and there was a Gambler 500 event going on, lots of mini bikes running around. Since then I've been eyeing the cheap Coleman ones they sell at Sportsman's Warehouse. Seem like they'd be a ton of fun to cruise around on. I do like that the one you got has front suspension, is there some performance upgrades done to the motor also? For the price it looks like a better unit then some of the ones I've been checking out.
Yeah so that one I ordered is on sale right now plus 10% off with code CCMEGA10. its the bike kit with a 212 motor and stage 1 kit. $1100 to my door.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The coolest thing about the OMC 108s and 118s is they take a lot of deisgn ques from air cooled radial aero engines, so they do not utilize a seperate cylinder head, and the bottom end is very stout... do you see where I'm going with this?
Sounds like you have a vision!

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Assembly in progress...BTW, The instructions are terrible!
IMG_2466.jpeg

What does a normal guy do with a brand new engine.......rip it open to make more power!

Bigger main jet,
IMG_2467.jpeg

Removing the governor,
IMG_2472.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Dilldog

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Mostly complete. Unfortunately mine did not include a chain, was missing the spring for the kick stand, and the bolt for the belt drive clutch is too short. I will run to the cycle shop and hardware store in the morning.
IMG_2481.jpeg

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I have one of those Coleman 200cc mini bikes to help explore or scout ahead when I'm out.
Yesterday, I made a ramp and a bracket to secure the front wheel in the bed.
The only issue is that I have to swivel down the handle bar to fit under the cap of my Tacoma.
It misses by 3/4" :neutral:

Reactions: PNW EXPLR