Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Built this to replace a couple of tubs and having to carry the camp stove separate. With exception of some hardware, built with whatever I could find around my garage.

Not complete - obviously- but at a point I could use it if I needed to. Will add a sliding cover for the drawers and pot cubby for travel and then paint.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Built this to replace a couple of tubs and having to carry the camp stove separate. With exception of some hardware, built with whatever I could find around my garage.

Not complete - obviously- but at a point I could use it if I needed to. Will add a sliding cover for the drawers and pot cubby for travel and then paint.
That's very efficient looking and also looks like very good craftsmanship. Let us know how it works out.

Reactions: CubbyXL7

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I really like the design and layout of this. Nicely done. I wouldn't want to cart it in and out personally, but that's just me. If it works for you that's all that matters!
Your comment reminds me of one of my bright ideas five years ago. My chickens needed a better nesting house so I built one on my front porch. I guess I overbuilt it a little because it was so heavy I had to call my neighbor over to help me move it 50 feet. Afterwords he said for me to call on a different neighbor to help if I got any more bright ideas. We did have to put some umph into it.

Attachments

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

I really like the design and layout of this. Nicely done. I wouldn't want to cart it in and out personally, but that's just me. If it works for you that's all that matters!
Thanks! And, you’re right, it’s not as lightweight as I would like. But, I used soft pine and thin skin. It is also not intended for mobile camping as much as base camp use.

Reactions: reaver

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

That's very efficient looking and also looks like very good craftsmanship. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks. I will add a few more pics when it finished. I’m looking at sometime in Feb before I get to put it to use.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks! And, you’re right, it’s not as lightweight as I would like. But, I used soft pine and thin skin. It is also not intended for mobile camping as much as base camp use.
For Basecamp, this would be great. It would also work really well in a trailer. I mean, it would work just fine for mobile camping as well. Like I said, I think it's a great design.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Update: Kitchen box is done (except lid lift arm and lid latch). Definitely going to be a base camp type box and not a mobile in and out camp
kitchen. Fun build and painted in my favorite outdoor / adventuring OD green (20 years in the Marine Corps had no influence whatsoever). Has a primer coat of Kilz to seal and protect the wood. Looking forward to using it the first time.

Update to the update - forgot to show a pic of it closed up in travel mode. Put 1/4” aluminum channel around the drawers and pot cubby and then slide in the pegboard. Used pegboard, because just like fab metal with dimple die holes, it’s a little bit lighter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Update: Kitchen box is done (except lid lift arm and lid latch). Definitely going to be a base camp type box and not a mobile in and out camp
kitchen. Fun build and painted in my favorite outdoor / adventuring OD green (20 years in the Marine Corps had no influence whatsoever). Has a primer coat of Kilz to seal and protect the wood. Looking forward to using it the first time.
OORAHHHHH