Island County, Washington, United States
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Argleben
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
One of the biggest things with me will over-landing is making sure I have everything, especially with my tent. I have to use a tent because I travel with 2 giant dogs. So one thing I’ve learned over time is get a sea bag and put your tent in there, stakes, tarp, mallet, and trash bags. So when I get to camp I know everything I need is in that bag and don’t have to go searching everywhere for it. When it’s time to leave put it all back but if it hade rained separate the tarp and whatever else is wet in the trash bag to keep what is dry, dry and out of the way. If you have any better ideas I’d love to hear them!

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I keep everything kitchen related in a Swiss Link case.
Tent, ground mat, camp pillows, sleeping bag, Rumple, are in a large REI duffel bag. (I keep my sleeping bag in its loose bag until the day of departure)
Clothes in a smaller duffel bag.
The Exped sleeping pad just goes on its own.

Everything else I could possibly want is in my drawer system, Kelty Tarp, tarp poles, chair, small table, Trasharoo etc.

I have a dometic so no need for a cooler.

When I want to head out I just grab the 2 duffels, the Swiss Link and my sleeping pad. Ready to go.

Hit the store wherever to load up on food, beer, liquor.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I have pretty much the same setup as Jim. 3 Plano totes: kitchen, camp, and sleeping gear. The totes have DIY gaskets to keep out dirt and moisture.

After I take the sleeping gear out of the one tote I leave it outside the tent and we stick our shoes in there at night so they don't get dirt in the tent and they also don't get damp from dew or rain.

Both the kitchen and camp totes have custom modifications to help organize gear.

Reactions: Jim SoG

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I am pretty basic but the last couple of trips have really liked the boxes ( Front Runner) has. I have them labeled and when I set up basecamp they make pretty good tables as well. They stack tight and I cinch ‘em down in the back of my rig and so far holding up well.
I got some plastic dividers for them so it keeps the gear from all getting “blended” in the box so easier to find and access.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have a wife that loves the backcountry: therefore we have a small off road trailer that is organized beyond belief. Our vehicle is not a daily driver, it sits in the barn, at the ready. Without my partner, I’d have a system much like you guys have. Sleeping platform/small tent, a fridge and a couple of boxes to keep stuff in. LOL

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

It depends on where I’m going and the weather. Have some large hard cases for the roof rack and mostly soft bags for the cab. One bag that I have found, by chance, has been the Granite Gear canoe portage backpack. It holds a TON. It can also hold hard containers as well. I highly recommend it if you’re looking to put a lot of something into one bag and move it around camp or your rig, it straps to the roof rack easy.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I have pretty much the same setup as Jim. 3 Plano totes: kitchen, camp, and sleeping gear. The totes have DIY gaskets to keep out dirt and moisture.

After I take the sleeping gear out of the one tote I leave it outside the tent and we stick our shoes in there at night so they don't get dirt in the tent and they also don't get damp from dew or rain.

Both the kitchen and camp totes have custom modifications to help organize gear.
You turned your storage into organized art! Awesome.....

Reactions: slomatt

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have Plano boxes of a few sizes and like them. I also use some plastic ammo boxes. Each one is labelled with a sticker as A, B, C, etc. and it's pretty easy to get used to what is where ... kitchen, dry food, general camp gear, fire related, etc. I like them because they're small(ish) and easy to carry, which is important for my wife (vs. struggling with a larger Plano box). They are stackable and the side handles make for good lash points. They're also waterproof and lockable. One is for MY camp kitchen gear when I go solo. It's labelled "X" ... as in hands off! :blush:

18-07-02 3.JPG18-07-02 4.JPG

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I tried just using a large duffle and soon got tired of digging around in it to find that one thing I needed so I switched to the front runner storage boxes. The wolf pack pros with the upgraded handle design are easier to open and less likely to break than the original design ( I have 2 broken latches already with the originals) Like everyone else the boxes are labeled and nest neatly in the back of the 4runner.

For the clothing, sleeping pads, pillows I use a large Patagonia duffle, and for the tent I purchased a military duffle.. ( does anyone else hate stuffing tents back into their stuff sacks? Gah!)

Nice thing about the boxes is you can take them out when you set up base and use them as tables.

Small note : The wolf pack pro's do not stack with the original wolf pack boxes :expressionless:
IMG_1023.jpg

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Argleben, I developed a similar system years ago when I was motorcycle camping and carried the same system forward to my 4x4 adventures. I have a large North Face dry duffel that I keep my tent, drop cloth, Thermarest and sleeping bag & pillow. Worked great for many years.

Reactions: Advtres

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
One of the biggest things with me will over-landing is making sure I have everything, especially with my tent. I have to use a tent because I travel with 2 giant dogs. So one thing I’ve learned over time is get a sea bag and put your tent in there, stakes, tarp, mallet, and trash bags. So when I get to camp I know everything I need is in that bag and don’t have to go searching everywhere for it. When it’s time to leave put it all back but if it hade rained separate the tarp and whatever else is wet in the trash bag to keep what is dry, dry and out of the way. If you have any better ideas I’d love to hear them!
Like others have said. I do a similar set up.
I use a different set of totes though.
I use a roof top tent that I hoist to the garage ceiling when I dont want it on my truck.
I have a box for camp set up
one for sleep gear
one for misc gear and cooking / kitchen set up.
then I travel with a yeti for food. meats, cheese and egs etc. not a big one.
I can travel pretty minimal sometimes. and even though this sounds like a lot its smaller boxes and I jus throw them into the truck with some water jugs.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We take our tent and related sleeping gear in a large water resistant duffle bag and leave any wet stuff out in a perforated stuff sack. For other gear we use alu-box or zarges cases. For the most part everything is kept in their cases while in storage but I always go over the packing list before heading out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biker Eagle

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I have a wife that loves the backcountry: therefore we have a small off road trailer that is organized beyond belief. Our vehicle is not a daily driver, it sits in the barn, at the ready. Without my partner, I’d have a system much like you guys have. Sleeping platform/small tent, a fridge and a couple of boxes to keep stuff in. LOL
Which is why I went with the trailer to pull behind my Jeep. I have everything packed and ready. Turn on the fridge, fill the water tank, add the food and beer, and put the cassette toilet, fire pit and wood in the back of the jeep, and we are off. My trailer stays loaded.

Reactions: Biker Eagle