• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
boil a bag of 90 second rice in the jet boil and do a stir fry - add protein as desired.

fancy grilled cheese sandwiches with added ingredients

I’ve seen folks cook food on their engine while they drive, then when they hit camp the pork chops, steak, whatever is hot and ready. Prep aides and you’re done.
I actually won a competition at an event last year for "manifold meals". managed to cook a medium rare steak with some garlic butter, and a potato, then once I got back to camp threw a smore on for desert before handing in the goods.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I actually won a competition at an event last year for "manifold meals". managed to cook a medium rare steak with some garlic butter, and a potato, then once I got back to camp threw a smore on for desert before handing in the goods.
There were dudes that used to cook on the gensets & lightalls on the flight line when I was in the AF. One dude crawled inside the cabinet of a lightall one night to keep warm. Died.

I couldn't eat stuff cooked on the engines after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
There were dudes that used to cook on the genesis & lightalls on the flight line when I was in the AF. One dude crawled inside the cabinet of a lightall one night to keep warm. Died.

I couldn't eat stuff cooked on the engines after that.
Ya I can see how that would give you a new perspective.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Hey gang,
Willing to impart knowledge on cooking, prepping, portioning, storing, etc. My years as a chef/restaurateur and whitewater guide/backcountry/camp chef could be useful to those trying to upgrade the food component of overlanding. Fire away!
I LOVE this!!! Thank you... I've always loved cooking, cooking for others and especially cooking outdoors. I actually found my love for cooking later in life when my wife started working nights and I had to learn how to cook for my son & I. Little did I know just how similar working with my hands and working with tools would be to working in the kitchen. I've cooked 95% of our meals ever since! I love to try different foods from different cultures, trying different cooking methods and especially cooking over a fire. To me, there's nothing better.

Looking forward to picking your brain... Thx

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Whole eggs transport just fine. They will last 7-10 days. Transport in the cartons they come in, keeps them totally safe, also pre-cracking as mentioned above works as well. You just do not have the same storage time on those, maybe 3-5 days before they discolor.
Fresh eggs from the farm will last a month or more if unwashed and never refrigerated. Washing them removes the natural egg shell protection.
You can buy fresh eggs at the farmers market places or many time just driving down a country road you will see fresh egg signs along the road.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is one of my favorites, while browning some hamburger in a skillet, slice potatoes and onions and make some gravy (I cheat with instant). Once the burger is browned pour off the grease, add the potatoes, onions, gravy, salt, pepper and spices to taste. Let it simmer while you relax and enjoy the scenery. Quick, easy and a one skillet dinner.
You gotta add some long green chili's to that and pour it all over some baked biscuits cut in half or leave out the gravy and put it in a flour tortilla for a good burrito.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just last night I was thinking through spice/flavoring options for a camp kitchen.

Any thoughts on a baseline seasoning kit? Or even an extended range seasoning kit, too!

My own rambling mind has me at...

salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
a barbeque seasoning (prefer salt-free)
Mrs. Dash
Montreal steak spice
Turkey Rub (personal fave)

I figure with that as my base, I should be able to season pretty much anything I catch at the local butcher to my taste. :grinning:

Wide open to tips, ideas, potential swaps. :sunglasses:
I wouldn't go anywhere without my Ranch seasoning for hamburger meat or my caldo de pollo !