louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
what is a good side dish to go with Teriyaki Spam simmered with pineapple served over rice? i figured i had the acid of the pineapple along with the carbs of the rice...maybe a pinto or red bean? a kale salad would be nice, but not an option for boondocking for a while

Reactions: HIALT2D and MMc

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

what is a good side dish to go with Teriyaki Spam simmered with pineapple served over rice? i figured i had the acid of the pineapple along with the carbs of the rice...maybe a pinto or red bean? a kale salad would be nice, but not an option for boondocking for a while
Since you have a Japanese type theme going on I'd add a Japanese type been. Some of the most common/important ones are listed below.

Edamame: young soybeans still on the branch; but I'd go with Mukimame, they are the shelled version and easier to deal with;

Adzuki / Red Mung beans: similar to black-eyed-peas;

Ingenmame: a garden or snap beans;

Kinusaiya: snow peas;

Soramame: broad or fava beans; and

Endo: pod peas.

Adds a lot of protein.

Reactions: grubworm

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey gang,
Willing to impart knowledge on cooking, prepping, portioning, storing, etc. My years as a chef/restaurateur and whitewater guide/backcountry/camp chef could be useful to those trying to upgrade the food component of overlanding. Fire away!

Well cool cool, glad to see you on here. I love experimenting with what I call #RoaddudeFood when camping and adventuring; scratch-made meals and interesting combinations. It's one of my biggest thrills when solo-camping, or even entertaining others, to be efficient in food prep, cooking, and clean up while producing a delicious, nutritious, and good looking meal.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to offer for advice and tips.

Whole eggs transport just fine. They will last 7-10 days. Transport in the cartons they come in, keeps them totally safe, also pre-cracking as mentioned above works as well. You just do not have the same storage time on those, maybe 3-5 days before they discolor.
Also, if able to get farm fresh eggs that haven't been refrigerated yet, they will keep just fine outside a cooler. Many countries don't refrigerate their eggs; they're available and bought off the shelf like bread, not kept in coolers from the time they're laid til the time they're consumed. They last just fine.

We raised 75 chickens and sold eggs and experimented with this, after researching the way others keep eggs. Once refrigerated, best to keep refrigerated, though.

On the road and trail, I always have great luck keeping them in the carton they came in in my ARB cooler, as @Thebasecampchef suggests. I keep them packed on top, just under my top layer of insul-wrap, and find a carton of twelve fits nicely side to side.

A good way to test an egg for freshness is to slide it into a glass of fresh water. As an egg ages, the air pocket inside increases. A good fresh egg will lay on the bottom of the glass. As it ages, it will tilt up, eventually floating.

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Just last night I was thinking through spice/flavoring options for a camp kitchen.

Any thoughts on a baseline seasoning kit? Or even an extended range seasoning kit, too!

My own rambling mind has me at...

salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
a barbeque seasoning (prefer salt-free)
Mrs. Dash
Montreal steak spice
Turkey Rub (personal fave)

I figure with that as my base, I should be able to season pretty much anything I catch at the local butcher to my taste. :grinning:

Wide open to tips, ideas, potential swaps. :sunglasses:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Just last night I was thinking through spice/flavoring options for a camp kitchen.

Any thoughts on a baseline seasoning kit? Or even an extended range seasoning kit, too!

My own rambling mind has me at...

salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
a barbeque seasoning (prefer salt-free)
Mrs. Dash
Montreal steak spice
Turkey Rub (personal fave)

I figure with that as my base, I should be able to season pretty much anything I catch at the local butcher to my taste. :grinning:

Wide open to tips, ideas, potential swaps. :sunglasses:
Thank you for doing this, I love to cook am a foodie. I will cook just about anything in camp that I will at home, I do have dutch ovens but I don't bring them without a plan to use. Most of my cooking is done on stovetop or a grill.
I like to carry all the above plus Old Bay, fresh Ginger too. I have little nalgene bottles with herbs. They get replace every 6 months.

Reactions: sportsguy

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Have you thought about a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing. Cabbage and cauliflower wolds up well while camping.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Have you thought about a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing. Cabbage and cauliflower wolds up well while camping.
Good idea. The coleslaw would pair nicely and I didn't think about cauliflower...can eat it raw with a dip or use in a stir fry. The wife is wanting more veggies on our trips and this fits the bill as well as some of the different beans you mentioned earlier. That slaw would be great with a sandwich too. As our trips are going longer and longer, I gotta start packing better food.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Road , that’s some good information on eggs. I was researching eggs this past summer due to an extended backpacking trip and couldn’t figure out how to keep my eggs cool, but I knew there had to be a way since I raised chickens as a kid and it was my job to collect the eggs and I know a few of them sat there for several days before I would find them.
@sportsguy i like your thinking on spices... I always seam to forget mine and end up seasoning with spam or bacon as both are staples in my camp.
My wife got me hooked on grits and I got her hooked on fried spam and egg sandwiches. The grits makes a great addition to the morning breakfast.
I am a fan of one pot/skillet meals as well. I need to brush up on some dinner ideas as mostly I cook breakfast. By supper time rolls a round, I am usually starving so it’s a burger or hotdogs... which is ok for a skinny guy like me, but as I am getting older I need to watch what I eat for other health reasons.

what are some thoughts for one pot dinner meals...

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
@Road , that’s some good information on eggs. I was researching eggs this past summer due to an extended backpacking trip and couldn’t figure out how to keep my eggs cool, but I knew there had to be a way since I raised chickens as a kid and it was my job to collect the eggs and I know a few of them sat there for several days before I would find them.
@sportsguy i like your thinking on spices... I always seam to forget mine and end up seasoning with spam or bacon as both are staples in my camp.
My wife got me hooked on grits and I got her hooked on fried spam and egg sandwiches. The grits makes a great addition to the morning breakfast.
I am a fan of one pot/skillet meals as well. I need to brush up on some dinner ideas as mostly I cook breakfast. By supper time rolls a round, I am usually starving so it’s a burger or hotdogs... which is ok for a skinny guy like me, but as I am getting older I need to watch what I eat for other health reasons.

boil a bag of 90 second rice in the jet boil and do a stir fry - add protein as desired.

fancy grilled cheese sandwiches with added ingredients

I’ve seen folks cook food on their engine while they drive, then when they hit camp the pork chops, steak, whatever is hot and ready. Prep aides and you’re done.

Reactions: M Rose and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
@Road
This is one of my favorites, while browning some hamburger in a skillet, slice potatoes and onions and make some gravy (I cheat with instant). Once the burger is browned pour off the grease, add the potatoes, onions, gravy, salt, pepper and spices to taste. Let it simmer while you relax and enjoy the scenery. Quick, easy and a one skillet dinner.