Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I hope everyone in the US had a great 4th! I popped up a new video on YouTube that shows a very quick and easy dutch oven bread recipe that used no refrigeration for the ingredients and taste great. If you are interested check it out here-

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

kind of reminds me of irish soda bread, but with beer and baking powder instead of the buttermilk and baking soda. i've been playing with making bread at home to get down the right mixtures of ingredients, but want to use the dutch oven as well to make some bread outdoors. fresh bread on a cool night with dinner would be amazing while camping.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

kind of reminds me of irish soda bread, but with beer and baking powder instead of the buttermilk and baking soda. i've been playing with making bread at home to get down the right mixtures of ingredients, but want to use the dutch oven as well to make some bread outdoors. fresh bread on a cool night with dinner would be amazing while camping.
Let us know if you make it and what you think. The bread at camp in a dutch oven is always a winner!

Reactions: 9Mike2

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

this is a decent reference for making soda bread.

Ingredients list:
3.5 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1.5 cups of buttermilk
* optional to add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of sugar if desired

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

this is a decent reference for making soda bread.

Ingredients list:
3.5 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1.5 cups of buttermilk
* optional to add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of sugar if desired
Yep, that looks very similar-amazing how easy it can be.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I hope everyone in the US had a great 4th! I popped up a new video on YouTube that shows a very quick and easy dutch oven bread recipe that used no refrigeration for the ingredients and taste great. If you are interested check it out here-

I can taste that from here... yummmmmm

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I’m trying to figure our how I can adapt this to cook in my new Coleman oven. I guess I just need a deep pan with a metal lid?
Although I have a Coleman oven I have never cooked the bread in it but if you are making beer bread at home you do not cover it-so recipe for home cooking is about an hour (uncovered) @ 375 degrees. I have also seen people pour some melted butter on top before baking.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Although I have a Coleman oven I have never cooked the bread in it but if you are making beer bread at home you do not cover it-so recipe for home cooking is about an hour (uncovered) @ 375 degrees. I have also seen people pour some melted butter on top before baking.
Thanks for the info. I’ve cooked cinnamon rolls and biscuits in my Coleman oven and the resuults rival what I can cook at home. So, I’d like to try some bread next. Guess I just need a bread pan that fits in the oven.