Camo netting for shade

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but my latest trip out to the desert has got me motivated to act. I remember my Army days at the NTC outside of Barstow CA and how effective the camo netting we used was for providing shade in the Mojave Desert. With just a regular sized net and a couple of poles it should work well for my setup and I'd rather have the net take the beating from UV than my RTT. Last time I checked the local military surplus store had a good selection of net and poles so it might be time to make another trip...

Last edited:
Reactions: Novax326

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've done this a number of times, with the exception of how bulky the netting is to transport, its fantastic. The new stuff isn't as bulky when packed down, but provides more shade and wind break, plus the poles are easier to deal with, though I'm sure its commensurately more expensive as well.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I've done this a number of times, with the exception of how bulky the netting is to transport, its fantastic. The new stuff isn't as bulky when packed down, but provides more shade and wind break, plus the poles are easier to deal with, though I'm sure its commensurately more expensive as well.
I've considered that as well. Being relatively "soft and lightweight" I was thinking it would be easy enough to strap to the top of my tongue box. This is currently dead space anyway. Plus I'm thinking just one hex net and three poles max.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've considered that as well. Being relatively "soft and lightweight" I was thinking it would be easy enough to strap to the top of my tongue box. This is currently dead space anyway. Plus I'm thinking just one hex net and three poles max.

View attachment 3743
Yeah like a Hex and poles is perfect. Ive used two x hex one for its own shade area free standing, and one outside my tent to allow ventilation, but still have some small amount of overhead cover.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

So I pulled out the Coleman canopy and the frame gives me plenty of clearance over the RTT and trailer.image.jpeg

The storage bag fits neatly on the tongue box without too much overhang. There are tie downs on each corner of the trailer that will allow me to secure the canopy and camo net. And as a good friend of mine would say...Easy Peasy
image.jpeg

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I figured I wasn't the only one to consider this but in all my years camping I've never seen anyone else use camo nets. Great to see other setups.
We hang led lights on ours.... Looks great at night

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Having spent a ton of time under those things, I'm not a fan. If you layer it, and leave it up for an extended period of time it would probably be worth the effort but if you're moving daily you'll get over it.

Reactions: murps

k9lestat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Statesboro,Ga.
Member #

Moving an set up is easy. If you are moving a lot, and bigger than one hex in size, you'll want to take down with the vehicle/trailer under it. Roll it up longest sides first(towards the trailer/vehicle) let it ride where it rolled up to be.

Get where you going. Unroll. Lift spreaders stake corners. Done.

If it's a hex or smaller predeploy roll back up similarly. This can be moved by one or to people to ride somewhere else. get where you're going throw it on top unroll spread a stake. Done.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We hang led lights on ours.... Looks great at night

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
THIS is a great idea. We've been hanging LEDs under our awnings, and pop ups for a while, but I hadnt considered the Camo net.

Would surplus parachutes work for that?
Just a thought.
I have a couple if anyone is interested. The down side of parachutes is that they catch the wind (in keeping with their original purpose..)

Reactions: NorthStar96

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

[QUOTE="mellowdave, post: 24503, member: 1714"
I have a couple if anyone is interested. The down side of parachutes is that they catch the wind (in keeping with their original purpose..)[/QUOTE]

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Reactions: NorthStar96

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Would surplus parachutes work for that?
Just a thought.
Obviously a parachute would catch all the wind and setting it up would be a bit dodgey...I should of said I knew that doh....lol
I was thinking on the lines of setting one up on a dead calm day for shade purposes.....

Do the mesh nets stay in place on the poles if a breeze kicks up? how about rain? do they get heavy and fall in on themselves?
I think that a smaller one like 10'x12' would work great for those hot days.
P.S. thanks Murph for taking it easy on me.. :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: murps

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Being an ex Armed Forces member, I have so much in the way of cam net that I wouldn't be able to take it all with me. I might loom into a system of poles to uses but considering we're nit exactly blessed with hot weather here in the UK I might leave all the cam nets in their bags in the garage

Reactions: vegasjeepguy