Camera Gimbal

• HTML tutorial

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I used to run multiple GoPro cameras on my rig for recording the trails and last year switched to a 4 channel HD DVR. This works great for recording from the vehicle but have been thinking lately about getting a gimbal for shots when I am out of the vehicle and of other rigs. Anybody have any experience them and recommendations? I would prefer to get one that will work both with a GoPro and a smartphone so I can use either. There are really good ones for one or the other but you start getting limited when looking for one that will handle both, at least from my research. Any input would be appreciated.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
DJI makes a cool gimbal with a camera on it that uses your phone as a monitor.

Otherwise, you could get one that supports 1/4 x 20 thread mount and find a tripod mount for your phone and the tripod mount for the GoPro.

Where are your videos? Sounds cool.

-M

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Have checked out the DJI Osmo and it is nice but looking to utilize what I already have camera wise. Didn't think about finding on that supports a 1/4 x 20 thread mount, that's a great idea. I know I can find tripod mounts for most anything I want. If I can find one that supports a broad enough range of weight I could use it for the DSLR as well.

Nothing great but below is a link to my youtube channel. Seen several of your videos, very nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcdB8Hfqzr4c7e7S-q5kVA

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Have checked out the DJI Osmo and it is nice but looking to utilize what I already have camera wise. Didn't think about finding on that supports a 1/4 x 20 thread mount, that's a great idea. I know I can find tripod mounts for most anything I want. If I can find one that supports a broad enough range of weight I could use it for the DSLR as well.

Nothing great but below is a link to my youtube channel. Seen several of your videos, very nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcdB8Hfqzr4c7e7S-q5kVA
CAME TV has one that will work with my Sony a7s and has a single handle. The Optimus: http://www.came-tv.com/cameoptimus-3-axis-gimbal-camera-32bit-boards-with-encoders-p-815.html

It's super affordable too. NOT. The lighter ones for GoPro are probably much cheaper, but I haven't looked at them yet. One thing I've done though is to use a GoPro in 2k mode and then stabilize it in post. Both FCPX and Premiere have that feature. You get a bit of crop, but don't get a decrease in resolution.

OK I subscribed to you already. Cool stuff!

-M

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

That is a nice unit. Not sure I want to spend that much though on something I am not sure how much I will use.

Based on what I have found I think I will probably forget about getting one that can work with both the GoPros and the phone. From what I have found the units that are dedicated to one or the other have better ratings and tend to be cheaper for a good unit. Considering the Evo GP Pro. I do like the feature of being able to plug the GoPro into the gimbal to charge it's battery as well.

http://www.evogimbals.com/products/evo-gp-pro

Will play around with the stabilization in post with Premiere Pro. Normally being cropped a bit won't be an issue since the quality stays the same.

I subscribed to your channel as well. Keep up the great work.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I used to run multiple GoPro cameras on my rig for recording the trails and last year switched to a 4 channel HD DVR. This works great for recording from the vehicle but have been thinking lately about getting a gimbal for shots when I am out of the vehicle and of other rigs. Anybody have any experience them and recommendations? I would prefer to get one that will work both with a GoPro and a smartphone so I can use either. There are really good ones for one or the other but you start getting limited when looking for one that will handle both, at least from my research. Any input would be appreciated.
If you're serious about getting the best shots, don't dismiss the DJI Osmo. They make a suction cup mount that you can put anywhere on your rig, and you have COMPLETE control of the camera and gimbal from inside the vehicle (including pan, tilt, zoom, and start/stop) using your smart phone.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

If you're serious about getting the best shots, don't dismiss the DJI Osmo. They make a suction cup mount that you can put anywhere on your rig, and you have COMPLETE control of the camera and gimbal from inside the vehicle (including pan, tilt, zoom, and start/stop) using your smart phone.

Yeah, I like to Osmo but trying to utilize what I already have sitting around not being used, multiple GoPros.