Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife is getting me a Canon XS digital camera. It’s not coming with a case. Which is better to have case or a backpack. Looking to trying to get into wildlife photography.

Reactions: sully3

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

In my case it depends on the situation. For shorter trips without additional equipment except a tripod I am opting for my case.
For longer walks and/or additional stuff I'm taking my backpack.
Just remember that telephoto lenses are pretty heavy.

Reactions: darrenc and sully3

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I have a Pelican case and a dedicated backpack. For trips where I have to drive over rough roads to get there but once I'm there I don't have much hiking to do, I take the Pelican. For photography where I have to hike, I take the backpack. For a combo of driving rough roads and hiking, I'll take both and transfer from the Pelican to the backpack.

My Backpack:

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I just ordered a Caden camera backpack from Amazon. Free 1 day delivery. I never thought of a pelican case for protection. Those cases are indestructible. We used them on the ambulance when I was working as a paramedic. Great cases.

Reactions: sully3 and OtherOrb

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Personally I prefer backpack over a camera bag. When traveling camera bags tend to be a target for high value equipment. It also makes me think really carefully what I intend to shoot to bring only what I need not equipment or lens that I will not use. Most of the time I use a small sling bag (tactical) and a chalk bag for a second lens to make an easy swap without needing to go digging through a bag. Backpack can also be double purpose get use out of it when not shooting.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Personally I prefer backpack over a camera bag. When traveling camera bags tend to be a target for high value equipment. It also makes me think really carefully what I intend to shoot to bring only what I need not equipment or lens that I will not use. Most of the time I use a small sling bag (tactical) and a chalk bag for a second lens to make an easy swap without needing to go digging through a bag. Backpack can also be double purpose get use out of it when not shooting.
Thank you, I did go with a backpack. I thought it would be more versatile.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Which pack did you get? I switched to a pack about 2 years ago. It has forced me to pare down what I carry on day hikes as the non-photo areas are smaller. I settled on a lowe pro whistler 350. carries all the photo gear I need plus a tripod. First aid kit, jacket, water bottle, tarp and rope. On longer trips I usually have a second bag, though it is so big you would never carry it anywhere, in the truck with all my other camera kit.

Yarrrmatey007

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Lim
I have 40L backpacks for longer lenses, but this one fits the bill in regards to price and capacity for short hikes and ‘normal’ sized lenses for $32, $51 shipped

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I use a Lowe Pro backpack. It is designed so I can swing it around and pull the camera out of the side quickly. Had it for years now. I really like it. I do like the classic look of that Tarian pack though.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I've been through several bags over the last decade or so. From big to small. Backpack to Sling style to Messenger style. I've sold them all off except two. Think Tank Trifecta (no longer made), a backpack style, opens from the back, configurable, but not a lot of room for extras, say on a day hike. Was my main/only pack for several years.

Then......

I bought a Atlas Adventurer backpack last year and this April went to their office, while visiting family in AZ, and swapped it out for the smaller Athlete pack. Adventurer is bigger, holds more camera gear, but the Athlete holds more non camera gear for hikes/backpacking/etc. It can get pretty small by snugging the straps down. It's built like a pack, not some bag someone just threw shoulder straps and a wanna be waste belt on.

I originally went with the bigger Adventurer pack because I had a gripped body and it would fit better in the camera gear area. But now that I don't shoot sports or portraits I don't really need a grip. Plus the smaller Athlete holds way more non camera gear and works well for my Fuji Mirrorless stuff. Athlete pack fits the requirements for carry on. So does the Adventurer, but you need to remove the frame (easy to do) to comply. Two different size frames for tall or shorter frames. Can even take off the shoulder harness and waste belt (both well padded and robust) if all you wanted was a bag.

Allan (the owner) is a super nice guy to work with.

Not associated with them in anyway...........just a fan and happy customer.

ATLAS PACKS

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

I've been through several bags over the last decade or so. From big to small. Backpack to Sling style to Messenger style. I've sold them all off except two. Think Tank Trifecta (no longer made), a backpack style, opens from the back, configurable, but not a lot of room for extras, say on a day hike. Was my main/only pack for several years.

Then......

I bought a Atlas Adventurer backpack last year and this April went to their office, while visiting family in AZ, and swapped it out for the smaller Athlete pack. Adventurer is bigger, holds more camera gear, but the Athlete holds more non camera gear for hikes/backpacking/etc. It can get pretty small by snugging the straps down. It's built like a pack, not some bag someone just threw shoulder straps and a wanna be waste belt on.

I originally went with the bigger Adventurer pack because I had a gripped body and it would fit better in the camera gear area. But now that I don't shoot sports or portraits I don't really need a grip. Plus the smaller Athlete holds way more non camera gear and works well for my Fuji Mirrorless stuff. Athlete pack fits the requirements for carry on. So does the Adventurer, but you need to remove the frame (easy to do) to comply. Two different size frames for tall or shorter frames. Can even take off the shoulder harness and waste belt (both well padded and robust) if all you wanted was a bag.

Allan (the owner) is a super nice guy to work with.

Not associated with them in anyway...........just a fan and happy customer.

ATLAS PACKS
Post some pics of your pack with gear. I'm interested, love my Tamrac backpack I've had for over 10 years, but I'd like more of a crossover between my drybag backpack and Tamrac camera pack.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

My biggest problem now is choosing between my camera backpack and my drone backpack. I can mix and match between the two a bit but each is better for their own intended use.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am shooting using a fuji x-s1 and x-10 camera. Both have no extra lenses etc, so all I need to pack are my two cameras, flash heads and some charging memory items. I get amazing photos from this setup and not alot of weight. I am going to be using my iphone for video duties so the rig for that will stay in the jeeps and just be used as needed.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
I’d say it depends on your intended use. A backpack is great for hiking and long walks, urban exploring etc. but slower to deploy your camera. A sling back or messenger style bag is good for every day use. Some urban exploration and usually faster to deploy. I have a ton of different bags that I am constantly switching bags depending on my activities or location I’ll be at.

Lowpro bags are great. So are peak designs but they are expensive. There are lots of options and it doesn’t even have to be made for a camera. I’ve used a REI 25 liter backpack and even a 5-11 tactical bag.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I’m enjoying my Tamrac bag. It holds my camera and tripod. Plenty of room for more lenses.